Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Canada Visa Received!! ( Final Stage)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

I was asked in my Garda station what the Police Cert was for

And when I got it back it was one especially designed to be handed in with a Canadian work permit application

It comes down to luck whether you get a garda that knows what the deal is, but I've never had any problem in my station in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

Dont submit a garda certificate of character.. one person on the threads somewhere did get refused by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Dont submit a garda certificate of character.. one person on the threads somewhere did get refused by this.

I know but twice now they have told me that its the one i need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 triona10

anyone receive the LOI today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Intocable

No one I know recieved a LOI yesterday. Me and my mates had ours sent to London on Feb 16th, I'm hoping to hear back anytime now. When did yours get sent?

• Advertisement

Mine was sent to London on the 17th Feb. Just judging by the people who received them last week(sent on the 9th and 11th) I was thinking mine would be due any day now. Guess you're probably in line first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 katemin

Hey everyone, I received my Phase 1 completed e-mail on March 15th (refused once before) so not expecting an email for a few weeks yet. Just wondering if you're all waiting for the LOI before booking flights or is this being over cautious?

triona10 wrote: »
    Mine was sent to London on the 17th Feb. Just judging by the people who received them last week(sent on the 9th and 11th) I was thinking mine would be due any day now. Guess you're probably in line first.

Some people whose application in London a couple of weeks ago have had they're LOI, I don't think is generally First come first serve I think it's just luck, It's just a waiting game now, but it's reallly annoying right?

Received my LOI at 11:46 today!!! Sent to london 17th Feb :P
    Have up to 15 March 2012 to enter canada.

Feel like I reached a milestone with all the blooming paperwork.:cool:

triona10 wrote: »
    Received my LOI at 11:46 today!!! Sent to london 17th Feb :P
    Have up to 15 March 2012 to enter canada.

Feel like I reached a milestone with all the blooming paperwork.:cool:

Congrats!

• Advertisement

Just received my LOI at 12.00 pm

Intocable wrote: »
    Just received my LOI at 12.00 pm

v.good... party!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bellasolis

Hey all

Woop Woop, LOI recieved this morning, was sent to London on the 17th Feb... so delighted! Van by 24th June now all going to plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

Its been 4weeks yesterday since my app has been sent to London hope I get the email on Monday ...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭SarahToronto

Okay so here's an idea of what to expect for those already in Canada who have to pop down to the border to get their work permit.

I got my letter of introduction earlier this week, booked a return flight to Ireland for later in the year and bought insurance.
    I'm already in Canada, I popped down to the border to get the actual work permit in my passport.

The Canadian immigration people are so nice and fantastic, no problems. I had to leave and then re-enter Canada. So I popped over the US border, waited over 2hours for an ESTA as they wouldn't give me another document instead (long story - nothing to do with IEC, its just to show you left Canada and now enter Canada with a new work permit). So I Bought my stupid ESTA (note:have US dollars or a credit card to buy, its only US$6).
    Note: US immigration = most of them are not nice, and there's no order to their waiting system - some people are given ESTAs before others even though they were waiting less time etc etc.

Next, went back into Canada and to immigration booths there. They're fantastic, within 15mins I had my visa. I was not asked to show insurance, flight, or my visitor visa details at all! But I had proof of all these documents just in case.

Canada- you are fantastic.
    The immigration officials at the border are so much nicer than those at Pearson Airport. These guys were awesome.
    YES!

Okay so here's an idea of what to expect for those already in Canada who have to pop down to the border to get their work permit.

I got my letter of introduction earlier this week, booked a return flight to Ireland for later in the year and bought insurance.
    I'm already in Canada, I popped down to the border to get the actual work permit in my passport.

The Canadian immigration people are so nice and fantastic, no problems. I had to leave and then re-enter Canada. So I popped over the US border, waited over 2hours for an ESTA as they wouldn't give me another document instead (long story - nothing to do with IEC, its just to show you left Canada and now enter Canada with a new work permit). So I Bought my stupid ESTA (note:have US dollars or a credit card to buy, its only US$6).
    Note: US immigration = most of them are not nice, and there's no order to their waiting system - some people are given ESTAs before others even though they were waiting less time etc etc.

Next, went back into Canada and to immigration booths there. They're fantastic, within 15mins I had my visa. I was not asked to show insurance, flight, or my visitor visa details at all! But I had proof of all these documents just in case.

Canada- you are fantastic.
    The immigration officials at the border are so much nicer than those at Pearson Airport. These guys were awesome.
    YES!

Hi sarah .. oic so did you book your return flight as well as book a last minute flight to ny is it ?

Anyone receive an LOI today?

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Hi sarah .. oic so did you book your return flight as well as book a last minute flight to ny is it ?

I booked a flight to Ireland, just to have it.
    And I'm sorry...what..book a last minute flight to NY? New York? No, god no. Why would I waste my money? I drove down to the Canadian - US border, just went over the border, talked to immigration folks etc. Got my work permit.

my boyfriend got his LOI today, sent to london on the 25th of feb......can't wait for mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Molehair

Did everyone wait untill they has their visa accepted untill the booked flights? And any ideas on the chances of rejection? i only got accepted to london on the 15th of March and i'm thinkin of bookin flights now...

• Advertisement

Molehair wrote: »
    Did everyone wait untill they has their visa accepted untill the booked flights? And any ideas on the chances of rejection? i only got accepted to london on the 15th of March and i'm thinkin of bookin flights now...

I'm the exact same and haven't booked flights yet, afraid to but don't know what anyone else is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

I booked mine a couple weeks after it was sent to London (still haven't got the damn thing)

I'm not saying that this is a good idea or recommending it, it's just what I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

@ Molehair: You've been a member of boards.ie since June 2009 but you're only making your first post now?

We're being watched. There are undercovers among us. I'm being careful what I tell people on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

I booked my flights 2 weeks before i received my visa.. i received it about 2 weeks before i left, it worked out 4.5 weeks from when it was sent to london.
    I'm now in toronto on a one way ticked, with no problems what so ever they never even asked about medical cover.. just wanted to see the IEC email and that was it!

I had more trouble ordering a bloody regular coffee in starbucks than entering canada!! stupid flavored coffee!!

Anyway lads, if you book your flight and you arrive in canada with no visa, you can stay here as a tourist, when your visa arrives and you are in canada all you have to do is cross the border, maybe head to buffalo for a day or NY and then when you come back over present them your letter.
    it will overwrite your tourist status!

Also dont mention anything about extending it for a second year, they know nothing about it, they said its nothing to do with us, its the embassy that looks after all that, all they do is validate it and thats it!

Best of luck y'all GET HER DONE!

p.s weather is getting warmer and warmer over here.. the cold spell seems to be over and summer is on its way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

cookies221 wrote: »
    @ Molehair: You've been a member of boards.ie since June 2009 but you're only making your first post now?

We're being watched. There are undercovers among us. I'm being careful what I tell people on here.

Undercovers from where?

Are people sure that you need to flagpole to get the visa activated if you're already in Canada?

Couldn't you just go into immigration in the airport?

I had a problem with my original visa, so at the airport they sent me off on a tourist visa to get it sorted, and told me to come back whenever I got it dealt with

Went back a few days later to the airport and they took my LoI and issued my permit

katemin wrote: »
    my boyfriend got his LOI today, sent to london on the 25th of feb......can't wait for mine!

mine was sent to london on the 25th hope my loi comes todat the wait is torture

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Are people sure that you need to flagpole to get the visa activated if you're already in Canada?

Couldn't you just go into immigration in the airport?

I had a problem with my original visa, so at the airport they sent me off on a tourist visa to get it sorted, and told me to come back whenever I got it dealt with

Went back a few days later to the airport and they took my LoI and issued my permit

I heard you can do it at an international airport. I was saying this down at the border where I went for the visa; immigration there said yes you could do it at an airport, however our LoI work permit requires that we get this permit once we enter or re-enter Canada. Thus, we must leave first if we're already here! So that's why I had to go to the USA and return.
    The Canada immigration guy at the border said they might give you the work permit in an airport even though you haven't actually re-entered Canada - but he said its up to the individual officer.
    If you're near the airport, give it a chance nothing to lose.

I heard you can do it at an international airport. I was saying this down at the border where I went for the visa; immigration there said yes you could do it at an airport, however our LoI work permit requires that we get this permit once we enter or re-enter Canada. Thus, we must leave first if we're already here! So that's why I had to go to the USA and return.
    The Canada immigration guy at the border said they might give you the work permit in an airport even though you haven't actually re-entered Canada - but he said its up to the individual officer.
    If you're near the airport, give it a chance nothing to lose.

Cheers for the reply, will probably just try this

Van airport is a half hour on the Skytrain, compared to 2 hours drive to the border

• Advertisement

i still havent received my LOI im really worried. The application time that was given for my visa was 6weeks it will be 6weeks on Tuesday. Has this happened to anyone else? Did anyone receive an email saying that their application was received in London? The last email I got was from Paris on the 25th of Feb saying that my application had been sent to London. My application might have got lost in the process of being sent from Paris to London... Those who have sent their application on the same day and after me have got their LOI:confused:

Advertisement