Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

am i able to get insured on a 600 first time ??

• 02-03-2011 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

was just wondering if someone might knows these answers straight off as alot of the links if clicked are broken. i have a full car license but there is nothing on it for bikes .. i had a bike license when i was 20 or so (125 cc) but havent had one since.. im 32 now .. id love to get a cbr 600 or R6 and was wondering what i would have to do to get it insured.. do i have to do an actuall test for a provisional or just the theory and do i have to have it restricted because im a "learner" if anyone else has done this recently and u have the time any info would be great ohh and one last thing .. anyone have a ball park figure on insurance .. thanks in advance people u rock !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

was just wondering if someone might knows these answers straight off as alot of the links if clicked are broken. i have a full car license but there is nothing on it for bikes .. i had a bike license when i was 20 or so (125 cc) but havent had one since.. im 32 now .. id love to get a cbr 600 or R6 and was wondering what i would have to do to get it insured.. do i have to do an actuall test for a provisional or just the theory and do i have to have it restricted because im a "learner" if anyone else has done this recently and u have the time any info would be great ohh and one last thing .. anyone have a ball park figure on insurance .. thanks in advance people u rock !!

Loads of recent threads on this subject dude.
    You will need to do the theory test for an A licence. Then do the CBT training.
    Then get your bike and restrict it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 matthew1979

cheers "goodlad" as i said ive done some searching probably not enough now that you mention it but thanks for the reply anyway mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

goodlad wrote: »
    Loads of recent threads on this subject dude.
    You will need to do the theory test for an A licence. Then do the CBT training.
    Then get your bike and restrict it.

1st thing would be to call the 4 insurance companies and see how badly your pocket will be hit when you mention CBR or R6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No Offence but, it may be no harm to budget for some training as well, 12 years is a long time to be off a bike and going from a 125cc bike to a 600 supersport with over 100hp is a big step.
    Lots of recalibration in the head needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No Offence but, it may be no harm to budget for some training as well, 12 years is a long time to be off a bike and going from a 125cc bike to a 600 supersport with over 100hp is a big step.
    he's going to have to so CBT anyways sure

• Advertisement

your a 100 % right CJ no offence taken what so ever mate .. i done all the stupid **** on bikes when i was 20 .. id just love a really nice bike for a while .. i know myself its a massive jump and i know how things can go downhill pretty fast from past experience.. i got a car when the kid was born but ive always loved bikes and now she is older i think its time ..:)

Del2005 wrote: »
    1st thing would be to call the 4 insurance companies and see how badly your pocket will be hit when you mention CBR or R6!
    gonna get on it first thing in the morning .. hope its not crazy ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Have a look at http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/ also. Kind of summarises the process.

gonna get on it first thing in the morning .. hope its not crazy ..
    so what's the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Im gonna chance my arm here and predict that if its an r6 cbr600 op goes for he will probably go with quinn and even with the bike restricted the minimum he will pay insurance wise is around the €900 mark

• Advertisement

Sounds about right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

amacca wrote: »
    Im gonna chance my arm here and predict that if its an r6 cbr600 op goes for he will probably go with quinn and even with the bike restricted the minimum he will pay insurance wise is around the €900 mark

Makes no difference to the price unless it's factory restricted and I can't see Yam or Honda purposely castrating their super sport bikes.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Makes no difference to the price unless it's factory restricted and I can't see Yam or Honda purposely castrating their super sport bikes.

that was pretty much my point even though I was'nt particularly clear about it:)

he will have to restrict it to ride it legally and thus insure it and afaik they dont factory restrict r6's or cbrs.

ok here is the story ... looks like many of u were right .. they wouldnt even quote me :( CN said i needed 1 year no claims before they would even think about it and quinn said not a chance unless i had a full license.. cant believe it but i do understand why .. they said they would quote me on something smaller like a 400 .. gonna look into it some more and see if its possible.. im heart broken at the moment thought they would have atleast gave me a quote but again i can see them taking me as high risk :) ill everyone updated ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You can force them to insure you but it won't be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP, why not just get a nice 250 or 400? a tidy NC30 or maybe a CB1 would be a great intro into biking and would be a lot more acceptable insurance wise.
    Your resale shouldn't be that bad either if you look after the bike well.

OP, why not just get a nice 250 or 400? a tidy NC30 or maybe a CB1 would be a great intro into biking and would be a lot more acceptable insurance wise.
    Your resale shouldn't be that bad either if you look after the bike well.

agree with this to an extent

presume you know OP that your full license when you get it will be restricted for two years to riding bikes around the 33Bph/25kw limit?.....so you will still not be able to legally ride a full power R6/cbr600 even with full license for two years

if you dont mind being charged insurance in the €1000 region you can probably get those bikes restricted with an aftermarket kit. The aftermarket restriction means the insurance company will insure you but will still charge you as if the bike was full power for your two years restricted period ( which seems like a bit of rip off imo)

The kits are supplied by a company called fi international - most places will fit these for you and give you a cert to state bike has been restricted...you can check to see if they supply a kit for the bike you are interested in
    http://www.fiinternational.com/

if I was you I would confirm with the insurer they will accept the cert from that garage/mechanic as proof before you buy the bike or else get a quote online for the bike with aftermarket restriction kit and send them in the cert when they ask for it (this is what I done).

if fi dont supply the kit (cause demand is low to restrict that bike etc) then some places may fabricate washers to restrict airflow etc and give you a dyno printout to show the power reduced - again I would make sure the insurance company will accept this

no real point in doing any of this until you get your full licence though - until then I would either get a cheap 250 or try to pass the test with lessons (cbt) and the school bike if you dont want to spend money on a bike you really dont want and you dont want the hassle of trying to sell on.

if it makes you feel any better I rode around on a restricted thou and it was great crack - noticeably down on power but still more than enough for me (it was a twin though - read below).

twins restrict much better than IL4's imo, they are torquey and the restriction doesn't seem to make them really lumpy low down in the rev range so a lot of the acceleration seems to be preserved and its only at the top end you seem to be way down on power.

and my tuppence worth : if I was doing it again I would be looking to get something like a suzuki sv650 or a ducati monster restricted (think you dont even have to get the monster 400 restricted- but cant be sure on that)
    or get myself an nc30 as cj haughey suggests if they dont need to be restricted - those are a really great handling excellent bike.

and just so you are aware its easy to get an aftermarket restriction removed and the bike returned to full power but if you buy a factory restricted bike its difficult and not really advisable to have it returned to full power (but on the plus side their resale values have held up well to date as you will be able to avail of cheaper insurance with them)

hope this helps a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pobrien84

Just been reading this thread and it looks like bad news for me. I've went out and bought a cbr600 with a factory restriction and can't seem to get a quote anywhere. I have a provisional license and this would be my first bike. I'm 26 years old and find this really hard to believe!! Does anyone have any ideas (other than sell the bike)???

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

pobrien84 wrote: »
    Just been reading this thread and it looks like bad news for me. I've went out and bought a cbr600 with a factory restriction and can't seem to get a quote anywhere. I have a provisional license and this would be my first bike. I'm 26 years old and find this really hard to believe!! Does anyone have any ideas (other than sell the bike)???

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

http://www.globalmotorbikes.com/forums/entry.php?19-What-to-do-when-refused-an-insurance-quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Did you not get a quote before you got the bike??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Physically go into Quinn and bring all your documents with you including restriction cert and you should get sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

OP, you can get insured on 600 on provisional license. I am 3 years older than you and got insured on a restricted Fazer 600 on provisional license - this was just 3 months ago. And it's with CarolNash. but if I remember correctlt Quinn was also willing to insure me. At the time CarolNash would also quote me on Ninja 250, SV650, Hornet 250 or 600 etc, however, all the quotes, even for a 125cc one was coming at approximately same, and in the end I bought a Fazer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I'm on a provisional licence and bought a Fazer 600 last January. I had to get her restricted (MegaBikes) and had to send a copy of the restriction cert into Quinn before they would give me insurance.

I had been told to stay away from anything with an 'R' in the name as the insurance would be astronomical if I could get insured at all.

I'm glad I went with the Fazer as she's a great bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The Don wrote: »
    I'm on a provisional licence and bought a Fazer 600 last January. I had to get her restricted (MegaBikes) and had to send a copy of the restriction cert into Quinn before they would give me insurance.

I had been told to stay away from anything with an 'R' in the name as the insurance would be astronomical if I could get insured at all.

I'm glad I went with the Fazer as she's a great bike.

Cough! FazeR :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Cough! FazeR :p

FZS 600 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

I'm 18 and will soon be on a prov. I was wondering about something. I originally had my heart set on a sports bike. But I soon found that it would have to be small, and would still be expensive to insure. If I got a standard bike with no fairings, could I get a more powerful bike (500, 600) ? Would it be cheaper to insure a standard over a sports bike ? Thanks - Kev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

AON should insure you with a grade 2 insurance assessment.
    Best to call them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Shiroki wrote: »
    I'm 18 and will soon be on a prov. I was wondering about something. I originally had my heart set on a sports bike. But I soon found that it would have to be small, and would still be expensive to insure. If I got a standard bike with no fairings, could I get a more powerful bike (500, 600) ? Would it be cheaper to insure a standard over a sports bike ? Thanks - Kev

at 18 you will find it hard to get insured on anything over 250 regardless of it being faired or not. loads of lads coming to look at my old bike got refused because of age and it being a 400 (even though it was restricted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

amacca wrote: »

Even if you do get a price, imho, it'll be a lot more than 900......

Thanks in advance,
    Paul
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Did you not get a quote before you got the bike??

Indeed, I'm pretty stunned that anyone would buy a bike - any bike - without pricing insurance first. You wouldn't buy a car that way, would you ??
    inchiuvatu wrote: »
    at 18 you will find it hard to get insured on anything over 250 regardless of it being faired or not. loads of lads coming to look at my old bike got refused because of age and it being a 400 (even though it was restricted)

Yep

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ride Safe wrote: »
    AON should insure you with a grade 2 insurance assessment.
    Best to call them and ask.

+1000

I was 26 and totally green when I started 3 years ago. AON told me they wouldn't insure me at all unless I went out and got a grade 2 in advance. I went and got my grade 2 and got insured with AON for about €500 iirc. I got another quote from maybe CN of about €1,500 no questions asked. The grade 2 was the equivalent of IBT and I couldn't speak more highly of it.

Advertisement