Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

am i able to get insured on a 600 first time ??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Shiroki wrote: »
    I'm 18 and will soon be on a prov. I was wondering about something. I originally had my heart set on a sports bike. But I soon found that it would have to be small, and would still be expensive to insure. If I got a standard bike with no fairings, could I get a more powerful bike (500, 600) ? Would it be cheaper to insure a standard over a sports bike ? Thanks - Kev
    I'm 20 (21 next week) and had a huge struggle with Quinn to get insured on my 650. You haven't a hope of getting a 500-600 insured unless you've got serious amounts of cash.
    Even a 250 sports bike will be hard on the pocket if you can get a quote at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

cantdecide wrote: »
    +1000

I was 26 and totally green when I started 3 years ago. AON told me they wouldn't insure me at all unless I went out and got a grade 2 in advance. I went and got my grade 2 and got insured with AON for about €500 iirc. I got another quote from maybe CN of about €1,500 no questions asked. The grade 2 was the equivalent of IBT and I couldn't speak more highly of it.

IBT is equivalent to a grade 4. (Full driving licence rate)
    Grade 3 = Full Licence Rate less 10%
    Grade 2 = Full Licence Rate Less 15%

Grade 4: Provisional or full licence holder, safe enough to ride unaccompanied in all normal conditions. (AON Skills Assessment pass with a minimum of 14 points)

Grade 3: Provisional or full licence holder, that can ride safely under all normal conditions, on all road types and can overtake safely. (AON Skills Assessment pas with a minimum of 24 points)

Grade 2: Provisional or full licence holder, highly skilled and very safe rider in all road and weather conditions, (IAM Advanced, RoSPA Bronze, AON Skills Assessment pass with a minimum of 38 points)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ride Safe wrote: »
    IBT is equivalent to a grade 4. (Full driving licence rate)
    Grade 3 = Full Licence Rate less 10%
    Grade 2 = Full Licence Rate Less 15%

Grade 4: Provisional or full licence holder, safe enough to ride unaccompanied in all normal conditions. (AON Skills Assessment pass with a minimum of 14 points)

Grade 3: Provisional or full licence holder, that can ride safely under all normal conditions, on all road types and can overtake safely. (AON Skills Assessment pas with a minimum of 24 points)

Grade 2: Provisional or full licence holder, highly skilled and very safe rider in all road and weather conditions, (IAM Advanced, RoSPA Bronze, AON Skills Assessment pass with a minimum of 38 points)
    +1000

I was 26 and totally green when I started 3 years ago. AON told me they wouldn't insure me at all unless I went out and got a grade 2 in advance. I went and got my grade 2 and got insured with AON for about €500 iirc. I got another quote from maybe CN of about €1,500 no questions asked. The grade 2 was the equivalent of IBT and I couldn't speak more highly of it.

What I should have said was that the Grade 2 was about as much of an investment in time, effort and money as doing the IBT is today. A question to RS is whether you can do a deal to someone starting off to do the IBT and grade 2 together?

What I should have said was that the Grade 2 was about as much of an investment in time, effort and money as doing the IBT is today. A question to RS is whether you can do a deal to someone starting off to do the IBT and grade 2 together?

Yes I normally do a deal for anyone who completes their IBT course or a course of lessons and then requires further training to achieve their grade 2 assessment.

To be fair most instructors will offer discounts and deals for a course of lessons or an assessment after a few lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

How much does it cost to get a Grade 2?
    What is the best training to do that is recognised by each of the insurance companies or do they all have their own standards?

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    How much does it cost to get a Grade 2?
    What is the best training to do that is recognised by each of the insurance companies or do they all have their own standards?

The cost would depend on how many hours of training you would need to get to the standard required to pass the assessment at level 2.

Best to get a lesson from an instructor first to see what standard you are at and then see what you need to work on to get to the level required.

Best training for insurance discounts would be to RoSPA standard. (Up to 35% Discount)

Insurance assessment's you can do one for either Quinn Direct or AON, but the AON one is best as Quinn will accept this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Ride Safe wrote: »
    The cost would depend on how many hours of training you would need to get to the standard required to pass the assessment at level 2.

Best to get a lesson from an instructor first to see what standard you are at and then see what you need to work on to get to the level required.

Best training for insurance discounts would be to RoSPA standard. (Up to 35% Discount)

Insurance assessment's you can do one for either Quinn Direct or AON, but the AON one is best as Quinn will accept this as well.

Thanks for that.
    Is RoSPA standard accepted by all the insurance companies, didn't see an option for it online with Quinn.
    Say you were at full licence level, how many hours ballpark would it take to get to level 2 or RoSPA? If you fail the level 2 are you awarded level 3 or is that a seperate test?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Is RoSPA standard accepted by all the insurance companies, didn't see an option for it online with Quinn.
    Say you were at full licence level, how many hours ballpark would it take to get to level 2 or RoSPA? If you fail the level 2 are you awarded level 3 or is that a seperate test?

Yes all insurance will give some discount for a RoSPA qualification.

Grade 2 = RoSPA Bronze
    Grade 1 = RoSPA Silver or Gold

Just to give you an idea, roughly 3 - 4 hours training with assessment at the end for a level 2 for someone who is already above test standard and pretty handy on the bike.

Assessment works on a points system for the test so yes you will be graded either fail, or a pass with grade 2, 3 or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have to say that the additional training for any Grade is worth more than the monetary savings you will make. You get to learn new ways to handle yourself in loads of situations, get more from the bike and more enjoyment for spins.

The savings in insurance should be seen as an additional bonus. And in time you will make your money back from doing the training.

First thing you should all do is apply for the Garda Bikesafe course. This will give you a chance to get out and get assessed free of charge. You can then take what you learn from the day to go out and get more training, if you want. See here for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Just bumping this in the hope of getting some advice.

Like the OP, Im over 30 and haven't yet passed the test. I'll be buying a bike this month and will have done the IBT. I have 3 years no claims but as it was over 5 yrs ago it isn't taken into account.

My heart is completely set on a 600 supersports..I rang the 4 insurance companies and couldn't get quoted. .although was able to get a quote for a kawasaki z750 from Adelaide.

Is there any other avenues to explore - one person mentioned actually going into the liberty offices and that I'd probably get a quote (even though they refused online and on the phone)..anyone have any experience of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Did you try for insurance on "factory restricted" 600s?

Did you try for insurance on "factory restricted" 600s?
    yep tried that..no luck...would be hard to find a factory restricted one anyway I'd imagine. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

You could look into doing an insurance assessment course which would reduce the cost of the policy. Theres 4 different grades and this reduces the policy depending on which grade you pass to. Think it's only Aon and liberty that recognize them, have a look at some of the instructors websites for prices.

The other thing is have you considered the sv650, which although not a supersport is still a lively bike and its a lower insurance group compared to the others. It also handles the restriction well

jvan wrote: »
    You could look into doing an insurance assessment course which would reduce the cost of the policy. Theres 4 different grades and this reduces the policy depending on which grade you pass to. Think it's only Aon and liberty that recognize them, have a look at some of the instructors websites for prices.

The other thing is have you considered the sv650, which although not a supersport is still a lively bike and its a lower insurance group compared to the others. It also handles the restriction well

cheers..I asked about ther insurance assessment and one of the companies(Aon i think) mentioned if I got a grade 2, a restricted 600 ss bike may be an option.

Don't really like the sv650, looks a bit dated and much rather the inline4 set up. I'll have an unrestricted A permit in a couple of weeks now so may end up getting a z750 or ktm 690 sm...although I hate to settle for one of them considering the costs involved..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

amacca wrote: »
    that was pretty much my point even though I was'nt particularly clear about it:)

he will have to restrict it to ride it legally and thus insure it and afaik they dont factory restrict r6's or cbrs.

He won't have to restrict if he takes out the new A licence come 19th of January. Insurance will be a problem I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 boboboy

hey dude. i got back into bikes aug 2011. i was 39 at the time. rang aon and they told me i could insure up to an 1100 shadow on provisional once i had my ibt done. i did that and then had to do an advanced training course which consisted of a 3 hour assesment. needed a grade 3 because i wanted a 1500 goldwing which i first insured through aon. cost me around 450 euro i think. but i got a grade 2 which ment i could buy my vfr750 whch cost me an extra 120 to insure. ofcourse both bikes have to be restricted to be legal;). also try adalide ins. thats who im with now. best of luck mate

Advertisement