Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get old solid wood doors dipped?

• 02-03-2011 9:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to remove the old flakey paint from the original solid wood doors in the house.

A friend suggested getting the doors dipped.

Does anyone know where in Dublin that I could get the doors dipped?

And roughly how much per door dipped??

many thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 russtini

A few years back I used a furniture restorer on clanbrassil street, d8 (just before the canal on left heading out of town) to dip 2 doors. From memory it was about 50 quid a door and came up very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

russtini wrote: »
    A few years back I used a furniture restorer on clanbrassil street, d8 (just before the canal on left heading out of town) to dip 2 doors. From memory it was about 50 quid a door and came up very good.

Thanks.:)

You dont know the name of them by any chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Paddy, try this crowd. I have never used them or am I associated with them.

http://www.dipstrip.ie/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Be aware that your doors can warp in the process. They'll be immersed in a liquid stripper and I gather they powerwash off the loosened paint - part of the lead time involves the doors drying out.

In my own case I fitted a new door stop (2"x1") but curved it to match the bend in the door so as to provide close fitment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Paddy, try this crowd. I have never used them or am I associated with them.

http://www.dipstrip.ie/index.htm

Thanks for that,might give them a bell and see.

The doors in the house are old pine doors (1937 built house) that have what seem to be only 2-3 coats of paint on them in all that time.

According to the dipstrip site,200 euro for 3 doors dipped and delievered back isnt too bad me thinks.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement