Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey!

Options
  • 02-03-2011 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

I am very new to whiskey, having mainly only ever drank Jameson/Powers and I could take them or leave them really
    However I have recently tried Tyconnell and I thought it was very nice. I was recomended Blackbush, Jameson Crested 10 and 12 so I am wondering will they be much better than regular Jameson ?
    Also if you guys have any other recomendations would be great, cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I personally love Johnnie Walker Black and would prefer it over what you've mentioned, but I wouldn't exactly call myself a connoisseur.

If you're a fan of mixers then Blackbush is absolutely gorgeous with coke, I mean seriously seriously good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I personally love Johnnie Walker Black and would prefer it over what you've mentioned, but I wouldn't exactly call myself a connoisseur.

Thanks
    The only scotch ive tried is Ardbeg, which was really nice and smokey, from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I am very new to whiskey, having mainly only ever drank Jameson/Powers and I could take them or leave them really
    However I have recently tried Tyconnell and I thought it was very nice. I was recomended Blackbush, Jameson Crested 10 and 12 so I am wondering will they be much better than regular Jameson ?
    Also if you guys have any other recomendations would be great, cheers

Tyrconnell is a single malt, while Jameson and Powers are pot still blends. Very different whiskies. If you prefer the Tyrconnell, you might like the Bushmills 10 or Blackbush, as they are malt based (the 10 is a single malt). Or, you might like a Locke's, which, like Tyrconnell, is from Cooley. Or you could try the Tullamore Dew 10 single malt, which is similar to the Tyrconnell. Made up of whiskies that go into various Tyrconnells.

If you want to spend a bit more, there's the Tyrconnell port, maidera and sherry. All excellent, the madeira being the one that many pick out as the best.

If you like smokey whiskey, Cooley do the Connemara. Locke's 8 is also very slightly smokey.

Crested Ten and Jameson 12 are a step up from the standard Jameson. Both are very good. Haven't had the Crested Ten in a few years, but I'd probably prefer the Jameson 12. If you're going for this style, I'd recommend a Redbreast 12 or a Greenspot. Pot still whiskey and brilliant. The former has more sherry influence.

Then there's a Powers 12, which is excellent.

They're all good in their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Brockagh wrote: »
    Tyrconnell is a single malt, while Jameson and Powers are pot still blends. Very different whiskies. If you prefer the Tyrconnell, you might like the Bushmills 10 or Blackbush, as they are malt based (the 10 is a single malt). Or, you might like a Locke's, which, like Tyrconnell, is from Cooley. Or you could try the Tullamore Dew 10 single malt, which is similar to the Tyrconnell. Made up of whiskies that go into various Tyrconnells.

If you want to spend a bit more, there's the Tyrconnell port, maidera and sherry. All excellent, the madeira being the one that many pick out as the best.

If you like smokey whiskey, Cooley do the Connemara. Locke's 8 is also very slightly smokey.

Crested Ten and Jameson 12 are a step up from the standard Jameson. Both are very good. Haven't had the Crested Ten in a few years, but I'd probably prefer the Jameson 12. If you're going for this style, I'd recommend a Redbreast 12 or a Greenspot. Pot still whiskey and brilliant. The former has more sherry influence.

Then there's a Powers 12, which is excellent.

They're all good in their own way.

That's a really nice, concise little introductory review of Irish whiskeys.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

The step up in quality between regular Jameson and crested ten amazes me considering how close they are in price. You can't go wrong with Tyrconnell in my opinion, top class whiskey. There's no point buying Connemara when you can get Laphraoig and Ardbegs 10y for the same money. Blackbush is a lovely cheap enough blend.

I know most Irish whiskey drinkers will shoot me for saying this but I really just don't get how people have such a high opinion of Redbreast. To me it smells of Airfix glue and not in a good way. I have never tried greenspot so maybe I just don't have a pallet for pure pot stills.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    The step up in quality between regular Jameson and crested ten amazes me considering how close they are in price. You can't go wrong with Tyrconnell in my opinion, top class whiskey. There's no point buying Connemara when you can get Laphraoig and Ardbegs 10y for the same money. Blackbush is a lovely cheap enough blend.

I know most Irish whiskey drinkers will shoot me for saying this but I really just don't get how people have such a high opinion of Redbreast. To me it smells of Airfix glue and not in a good way. I have never tried greenspot so maybe I just don't have a pallet for pure pot stills.

Everyone's different. I think you get more of that glue smell/taste (some say floor polish or varnish) from blends like Paddy and Tullamore. It generally comes from the grain component, which is included in Jameson and Crested Ten too. A bit of water can subdue this.

Green Spot is a bit different. It's less sherried than Redbreast and a lot of people get a kind of menthol from it. Worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

redlead wrote: »

Yes Crested Ten is a great little number. I've always found the Tyrconnell a bit light but excellent for an easy drinker. I tend to go for a single cask version but they can be much more expensive or the Madiera 10yo which is currently reduced to circa €60 in the Celtic Whiskey Shop and would be my favourite of the finished Tyrconnell's.

I think there is a massive point for buying Connemara ... It's Irish ;) However I do agree that if your into the smoky whiskies you'll probably get more from a Laphroaig 10yo. The Connemara's a smoother sweeter whiskey though and therefore more approachable.

PPS can definately be a love it or hate it experience a bit like me with Laphroaig and Ardbeg ... I love Laph but just don't get the big deal about Ardbeg ... So Lucky me as therefore I'm not worried about the crazy Ardbeg hysteria and don't have to pay through the nose for some of their so called more limited expressions.

Some good advice here though for any beginer but the caveat has to be ... you need to decide for your self and figure out your own taste. The cheapest way is popping down to the pup and trying for yourself and then you can decide what bottles to buy.

Some good advice here though for any beginer but the caveat has to be ... you need to decide for your self and figure out your own taste. The cheapest way is popping down to the pup and trying for yourself and then you can decide what bottles to buy.

Just on that, will most pubs have the good selection of whiskeys I would want to try and what could I expect to pay for a shot. I assume it all depends on the value of the bottle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Possibly the best way is to start at a fairly basic level but a step up from the regular Bushmills, Jameson, Paddy Power etc. However don't neglect thee either. All those should be under €4 but you should be able to get 10-12 years olds from €5-7.50. €7.50 sounds expensive but a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a full bottle. Also do things like have a Jameson a Powers and a Bushmills side by side and see what difference you find from them. If you go I really like Jameson over the others then start on the Jameson range and work up.

Jameson 12yo has a fuller mouth feel and more rounded with much richer dried fruit that the regular Jameson.

Powers would be slightly less rich fruit and more vanilla and toffee with a nice spice at the end.

A nice middle of the road scotch is Highland Park 12yo (A touch of peat and rich fruit from the sherry)

Talisker 10yo is renowned for it's pepper spice burst on your tongue.

Ardbeg 10yo big Peat and bitter Almond (for me anyway)

Laphroaig 10yo big peat and medicinal iodine with an underlying sweetness.

Lagavulin Big smooth sweet fruit with plumes of smoky peat you should just sit with this and nose it for a while (However not as smoky as it used to be)

Dalwhinnie 15yo Light heather peat smoke honey

not to even get started on US and Japanese whiskey

Also a good rule of thumb to know what to expect is the 2 major different types of whiskey casks which are Bourbon cask and sherry cask. Bourbon has a habit of giving a sweet toffee and vanilla character sometimes with soft fruits (Peach/Apricot/Mellon) and also citrus while sherry cask imparts heavier dried mixed fruit characteristics like Christmas cake, deep ripe oranges and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg.

However it really is a mine field of flavours and each distillery will have a different character. I've been exploring whiskey fairly seriously for the last 10years and still feel I have not knocked a den into the multitude of expressions that are available out there ... it really is a never ending road which is why I love whisk(e)y so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Bushmills, Jameson, Tullamore Dew would be my fave home products. Recently tried Tyrconnell, quite enjoyed that. Currently making progress through a Suntory Yamazaki and that's going down a treat.

• Advertisement

Yamazaki is lovely. If you can get hold of any Karuiawa, it's lovely. And the Suntory Hibiki blends are some of the best you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One thing to bear in mind is if you are going to try a few different whisk(e)ys in your bar make sure you go for the stronger peaty ones last otherwise the peat taste will effect any subsequent ones you taste.

I really like Connemara and would place it on par with Laphroaig 10yr. I personally prefer Bowmore 12 yr over both those from the peat whisky side of things. I have only got into this in the last few months but already have been into the Celtic Whiskey Store on a couple of occasions and will be spending quite a bit of cash with them.

gandalf wrote: »
    I really like Connemara and would place it on par with Laphroaig 10yr. I personally prefer Bowmore 12 yr over both those from the peat whisky side of things. I have only got into this in the last few months but already have been into the Celtic Whiskey Store on a couple of occasions and will be spending quite a bit of cash with them.

The Connemara peated single mallt looks like good value at around 30 euro ?
    Then there is a cast strength single malt at around 45 euro (incidently this is 58% volume) :eek:

Places like www.masterofmalt.com and www.whiskysite.nl sell samples from bottles. They're a great way to try a large range of whiskies.

Master of Malt do things like an Irish or a Highland Tasting Pack.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/drinks-by-the-dram/

http://www.masterofmalt.com/dram-sets/

I've had this one, and it's really excellent - http://www.masterofmalt.com/tasting-set/highland-whisky-tasting-set/

The Connemara peated single mallt looks like good value at around 30 euro ?
    Then there is a cast strength single malt at around 45 euro (incidently this is 58% volume) :eek:

Yep that is a good price for it but you really should taste it before buying. People either love or hate peated whiskey. My first exposure to peated whiskey was Laphroaig and I was hooked after the first taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd really recommend you try a peated whiskey in a bar somewhere before you shell out for a Connemara, Lockes or any of the scotch whiskys recommended above as they're peated and very different to the Tyconnell you liked so much.

The aged Tyconnells are fantastic, I'm not sure how old the version you tried was? The maidera finish is a close second to the Tyconnell 15yo for me but it's down to personal preference. The Greenore whiskeys might be something that appeals to you though it's a single grain, not a pot-still whiskey.

I'd also recommend the 12yo Powers for your next purchase, a lovely blended whiskey and great value. Whatever you decide to do let us know and bump the thread as you make your way onwawrds and upwards!

Actually I should have recommended this taster set http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Connemara_Miniature_Gift_Set_with_Glass-z-product-product-220-context-search_results-page-1.htm

It has Connemara Peated Malt, Connemara 12 yr and Connemara Cask Strenght 5cl tasters and a glass. I really like the Cask Strenght as well btw and I will probably stump up for a bottle of that in the near future.

I'd really recommend you try a peated whiskey in a bar somewhere before you shell out for a Connemara, Lockes or any of the scotch whiskys recommended above as they're peated and very different to the Tyconnell you liked so much.

The aged Tyconnells are fantastic, I'm not sure how old the version you tried was? The maidera finish is a close second to the Tyconnell 15yo for me but it's down to personal preference. The Greenore whiskeys might be something that appeals to you though it's a single grain, not a pot-still whiskey.

I'd also recommend the 12yo Powers for your next purchase, a lovely blended whiskey and great value. Whatever you decide to do let us know and bump the thread as you make your way onwawrds and upwards!

Good stuff
    I actually enjoyed the Ardbeg scotch so I do like the peated taste for sure. I was also recomended Laphroaig 10 (by the way I was told they are about to update their years and removing 10 as they are running low on whiskey)

The Tyrconnel I tried I really have no idea what type it was. But it was a nice one anyway.
    What price would I expect to pay for a Powers 12 ?
    I checked out Redmonds in Ranelagh they seem to have a good selection, and also obviously the Celtic Whiskey store is fantastic. I am just aware that Supermarkets will have special offers from time to time so I will try to keep my eye out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

I'm trying the redbreast 12 tonight, irish whiskey of the year 2010 :)

• Advertisement

Heheh just joined the forum the other day IrishWhiskeyCha myself and now lurking in the background. Will join up properly when I get a job again and definitely will be attending some of the tastings. The beauty for me is my wife is enjoying this journey into whisk(e)y land as well so I can purchase with her consent ;)

Currently thinking about my next purchases with Cooley looking like the distiller. Connemara Cask Strenght, Greenore 8 Year-Old, Kilbeggan or Lockes or a combo look like the likely candidates although my bottle of Bowmore is looking very light and needs replenishment as well !!

Had the chance to sample Blackbush over the weekend. It was interesting, quite powerful and has a rich, dark texture, I guess from the Sherry barrel ?
    A little spicy even
    Anyway I liked it. I didnt have to pay for this one but I am told its very reasonable

Sherry barrels do bring richness and body, particularly European oak barrels. It brings a kind of dried fruits flavour, like rasins and plums.

Bourbon barrels tend to give a vanilla flavour and some spice to the whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

A few of my favourites would be

Redbreast 12 (way better and cheaper than the 15)
    Tyrconnell 10 y o Madeira Cask
    Powers
    Connemara Cask Strength
    Green Spot (similar to Redbreast but zestier and less oily)
    Bushmills 10 - has it's detractors but I like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

A nice middle of the road scotch is Highland Park 12yo (A touch of peat and rich fruit from the sherry)

This is an absolutely brilliant whisky. Purchased a bottle in duty free after trying a sip in the distillery while on a dive trip to the Orkneys. I'll freely admit to not liking any of the Scotches till then but am a changed man now. The aged ones are fantastic.

Got a bottle of the Connemara a while back - wasn't mad on it to be honest.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong with Greenspot - it's a lovely little whiskey and very (too?) drinkable. I'm probably committing high treason here but I'd say I prefer it to Middleton Very Rare (or maybe I'm too scared to drink any more of it because of the cost).

For the rest of the Irish I think it's hard to beat the Jameson 12 year old. Lovely whiskey and can be got at a decent price in off licences and pubs. Picked up a bottle in Andorra recently - 1 litre for €18!

I've no experience of American whiskeys (imho Jack Daniels is terrible stuff) but seemingly there's some nice ones out here. And I'd love to try the Japanese at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

anyone every tasted Dimple whisky? I remember tasting it about 10 years ago and thought it was lovely. haven't seen or tasted it since

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Scotch whiskey is so varied comparied to Irish single malts. There's the Islay peat/medicinal varieties from the west coast; There's the higland whiskies from the central area peat/heather taste; The Speyside east coast heather/honey sweeter; and the lowlands (begineers whiskey), and a few other areas on the edges. If I was to recommend a Scotch I wouldn't consider anything less than 15 years. A 10 year old has a rawness to it. Stay away from the commercial giants and go for the smaller distilleries. I'd recommend Ardbeg 17yr (if you can get it!), Dalwhinnie 15yr, Highland park 16yr, Glengoyne 14yr.
    As for Irish I'd say Tyrconnell is up there amongst the best. I haven't tried greenspot. Does anyone know where it can be bought? And finally steer clear of Middleton. Paint stripper!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

muckish wrote: »
    If I was to recommend a Scotch I wouldn't consider anything less than 15 years. A 10 year old has a rawness to it. Stay away from the commercial giants and go for the smaller distilleries. I'd recommend Ardbeg 17yr (if you can get it!), Dalwhinnie 15yr, Highland park 16yr, Glengoyne 14yr.

Don't mean to take the piss but to recommend avoiding the "commercial giants" and then recommending whiskies owned by Diageo, LVMH and the Edrington Group (one of Scotland's biggest companies) is a bit odd.

Fair enough Glengoyne is now owned by a smaller operation (Ian MacLeod Distilleries), but to all intents and purposes the whisky on the shop shelves is still the whisky made when Glengoyne was part of the Edrington Group.

Ok away with missus for a few days in a hotel that has a very decent whiskey bar. Tried the following tonight.

Greenore 8 yr - found it lacking character and nearly mechanical in taste. I guess grain is not my thing then.

Arran Masala finish (I think, I need to check the bottle at the bar again tomorrow) - lovely powerful Whisky with a great smell of honey and good kick to it.

Redbreast 12 yr - the star of the evening. A lovely mature full tasting whiskey that nearly cons you into thinking it's a cognac. This has gone to the top of the must purchase next list.

• Advertisement

muckish wrote: »
    Scotch whiskey is so varied comparied to Irish single malts. There's the Islay peat/medicinal varieties from the west coast; There's the higland whiskies from the central area peat/heather taste; The Speyside east coast heather/honey sweeter; and the lowlands (begineers whiskey), and a few other areas on the edges. If I was to recommend a Scotch I wouldn't consider anything less than 15 years. A 10 year old has a rawness to it. Stay away from the commercial giants and go for the smaller distilleries. I'd recommend Ardbeg 17yr (if you can get it!), Dalwhinnie 15yr, Highland park 16yr, Glengoyne 14yr.
    As for Irish I'd say Tyrconnell is up there amongst the best. I haven't tried greenspot. Does anyone know where it can be bought? And finally steer clear of Middleton. Paint stripper!

Irish whiskey actually has more varieties than scotch, in terms of production. Here, you have peated double distilled malt, unpeated double distilled malt, lightly peated malt, heavily peated malt, triple distilled malt, single grain, pure pot still, pure pot still blends, malt blends, pot still/malt/grain blends...

Scotland has many more distilleries, so you're going to have more variety, of course.

Midleton is one of the great distilleries in the world. They make Green Spot, so if you don't like Midleton, you mightn't like Green Spot, although it's a lot different to the Midleton Very Rare.

Also, some of the great whiskies of the world are under 15 yrs, like the Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Highland Park 12 and countless others. 99% of bourbon and American whiskies are under 10. I've never seen an Amrut with an age statement. Some whiskies will have no age statement at all, but could still contain whiskies 20+ years. Some 10 yr olds might have some much older malt in them too.

And Beerhunter is exactly right about the commerical giants. Dalwhinnie is even part of the Diageo's Classic Mallts collection.

And finally, Lowland whiskey is not just for beginners. Rosebank was one of the greatest distilleries ever. Bladnoch doesn't triple-distill. St Magdelene is another great lowland distillery (also closed)... Glenkinchie and Auchentoshan aren't my cup of tea, but they have some good stuff. Littlemill wasn't great and I've never had a Ladyburn or Kinclaith.

Advertisement