Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anxiety - changing symptoms

Options
  • 02-03-2011 10:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone else who gets panic/anxiety attacks notice their symptoms changing over time?

when I first started getting them they'd take the form of a vein throbbing in my temple, then after a while (half a year or more) they changed into chest pains/tingling in my arm like a heart attack, then they stopped for a long time but came back recently as flu like symptoms. I've also started getting sudden flashes of heat when i'm out in public, without feeling particularly anxious. I just go completely red and it feels like my temperature just spikes, and I get a sudden almost painful itching sensation.
    is my mind just trying to screw me over with new and interesting symptoms after i've gotten used to the previous ones?

i was on lexapro for a while which seemed to help as when I stopped taking it, I stopped getting the attacks but I might have to go back to the doctor about this crap again. the panic attacks themselves I can deal with when I'm at home, they tend not to last too long and I'm just getting used to having them. but it really is starting to bother me that I can't just go to tesco and wait in a queue for fear of breaking out in a prickly hot itchy nightmare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Thats the great thing about anxiety it likes to give you new symptoms all the time :D I suffer with anxiety and it comes in all different forms. From what ive been told it basically doesnt want to be ignored so it tries to get your attention some other way. Best way is to just except it like 'ok yeah im feeling a bit hot now but its ok I can handle this'. And queues used to be my big thing I dont know why I just always felt paniky in them but what helped me is to just 'ride' out the symptoms at the end of the day they will not kill you etc no one around you will notice you feeling anxious (I always thought people noticed when i was anxious they dont!) Remember a panic attack only last like 3 minutes max and it has a peak its amazing how you feel when you wait it out and the anxiety lowers.

Just dont let it beat you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭lauren12

Hey ya, I've noticed it changing, I've also noticed it coming on for no apparent reason, I don't have to be standing in a crowded room, the first time I had one I thought I was having some kind of brain spasm, I thought I was going to die but then it just passed.

Now I can control them by just focussing on breathing and repeating the phrase, "you are fine, you are calm, you are safe" gently over and over until it passes, and just think of anything mellow, a stream, a light breeze, peace, tranquilty.

Lauren

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Right. I've suffered from anxiety on and off for five years. Was doing OK, but last week I had a panic attack that 'incapacitated' me sufficiently to leave work and go home. What worries me is I've not felt the same sense. I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me but my left arm feels 'funny' at times. Not painful or anything, I'm just conscious of some 'feeling'. I have reason to believe I have developed indigestions issues too and it may well be that. Or just anxiety. But what if it's something worse.

Anyway, I'm out of my mind with worry right now, I can only see the doc tomorrow, and I have moments during today, where I'm worried I mightn't even last that long. I'm fully convinced right now a heart attack is imminent.

I have quit caffeine altogether which doesn't agree with me at all, so while I feel 'less bad', I still don't feel 'right'.

Not looking for advice or such, I just wanted to 'offload', as I'm unwilling to talk to anyone in my life about my fears.

Advertisement