Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting Greyhounds to China

• 02-03-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

From the Sunday Times:

And they’re off ... Bord na gCon, the Irish greyhound board, wants to export dogs to China as part of an international expansion that could result in it operating racing stadiums there.
    The move is opposed by Irish animal welfare groups, which say other countries refuse to sell greyhounds to China. Dogs too slow to win races are routinely slaughtered and even eaten, they claim.
    Attempts have been made to improve the image of greyhound racing but the welfare of retired dogs continues to be a concern. It has been raised by Joanna Lumley, the actress, and Richard Wilson, of One Foot in the Grave. Sharon Ní Bheoláin, the RTE newsreader, and other public figures have also campaigned about the welfare of the racing dogs.
    Bord na gCon says Chinese officials visited Dublin this month to see how the Irish greyhound-racing industry is run and regulated. A spokesman said the board informed the Department of Agriculture, which regulates the transport of greyhounds, about its expansion plans.
    “As with any country we do not have any influence on the welfare standards adopted in other countries, and these matters are more appropriately dealt with by the country’s own legislative system,” the spokesman said.
    The export of greyhounds was a matter for individuals and Bord na gCon, said the department. “The board has informed us that they are exploring the possibility of assisting with the establishment of greyhound racing in China,” it said.
    Ireland exports greyhounds to America, mainland Europe, Australia and Pakistan, but animal-welfare societies want trading with China to be prohibited. Orla Aungier, of the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said China had a reputation for the ill-treatment of wild and domestic animals.
    “A number of countries which export greyhounds to China are already under pressure to stop because dogs that do not race well are routinely killed,” she said. “If Irish greyhounds are sent to China it would be almost impossible to monitor their welfare. We are urging Bord na gCon to reconsider their plans and to think about how devastating this move will be for the welfare of Irish greyhounds.”
    China is the main source of the 2m cats and dogs killed annually for their fur, according to the Humane Society of the United States.
    The reputation of the Irish greyhound racing industry was tarnished in the 1990s when images of starving and ill-treated dogs exported to Spain and Italy appeared in the media. The Irish authorities stopped supporting the Spanish trade.
    Ní Bheoláin has urged greyhound breeders to think twice about sending dogs to China. “I’d be extremely fearful of condemning any Irish animal to an existence where their basic welfare requirements are routinely ignored. Economic factors aside, we cannot as a civilised nation be seen to trade in cruelty,” she said.
    Ireland, as one of the world’s biggest exporters of greyhounds, must “ safeguard our reputation and start to set standards,” she added.
    Greyhound racing is worth €500m a year to the Irish economy, according to Bord na gCon. Greyhound exports are valued at €40m a year.
    Animal-welfare groups have long criticised the practice of destroying healthy dogs when too old to race. When a greyhound reaches three to five years, it is considered too slow.
    Greyhounds have also been destroyed after being injured while racing. Snip Nua, a dog part-owned by Dara Ó Briain, the comedian, was put to sleep after injuring itself in a collision with another greyhound.
    Snip Nua was in Three Men go to Ireland, a television series with Ó Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Discodog wrote: »
    From the Sunday Times:

And they’re off ... Bord na gCon, the Irish greyhound board, wants to export dogs to China as part of an international expansion that could result in it operating racing stadiums there.
    The move is opposed by Irish animal welfare groups, which say other countries refuse to sell greyhounds to China. Dogs too slow to win races are routinely slaughtered and even eaten, they claim.
    Attempts have been made to improve the image of greyhound racing but the welfare of retired dogs continues to be a concern. It has been raised by Joanna Lumley, the actress, and Richard Wilson, of One Foot in the Grave. Sharon Ní Bheoláin, the RTE newsreader, and other public figures have also campaigned about the welfare of the racing dogs.
    Bord na gCon says Chinese officials visited Dublin this month to see how the Irish greyhound-racing industry is run and regulated. A spokesman said the board informed the Department of Agriculture, which regulates the transport of greyhounds, about its expansion plans.
    “As with any country we do not have any influence on the welfare standards adopted in other countries, and these matters are more appropriately dealt with by the country’s own legislative system,” the spokesman said.
    The export of greyhounds was a matter for individuals and Bord na gCon, said the department. “The board has informed us that they are exploring the possibility of assisting with the establishment of greyhound racing in China,” it said.
    Ireland exports greyhounds to America, mainland Europe, Australia and Pakistan, but animal-welfare societies want trading with China to be prohibited. Orla Aungier, of the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said China had a reputation for the ill-treatment of wild and domestic animals.
    “A number of countries which export greyhounds to China are already under pressure to stop because dogs that do not race well are routinely killed,” she said. “If Irish greyhounds are sent to China it would be almost impossible to monitor their welfare. We are urging Bord na gCon to reconsider their plans and to think about how devastating this move will be for the welfare of Irish greyhounds.”
    China is the main source of the 2m cats and dogs killed annually for their fur, according to the Humane Society of the United States.
    The reputation of the Irish greyhound racing industry was tarnished in the 1990s when images of starving and ill-treated dogs exported to Spain and Italy appeared in the media. The Irish authorities stopped supporting the Spanish trade.
    Ní Bheoláin has urged greyhound breeders to think twice about sending dogs to China. “I’d be extremely fearful of condemning any Irish animal to an existence where their basic welfare requirements are routinely ignored. Economic factors aside, we cannot as a civilised nation be seen to trade in cruelty,” she said.
    Ireland, as one of the world’s biggest exporters of greyhounds, must “ safeguard our reputation and start to set standards,” she added.
    Greyhound racing is worth €500m a year to the Irish economy, according to Bord na gCon. Greyhound exports are valued at €40m a year.
    Animal-welfare groups have long criticised the practice of destroying healthy dogs when too old to race. When a greyhound reaches three to five years, it is considered too slow.
    Greyhounds have also been destroyed after being injured while racing. Snip Nua, a dog part-owned by Dara Ó Briain, the comedian, was put to sleep after injuring itself in a collision with another greyhound.
    Snip Nua was in Three Men go to Ireland, a television series with Ó Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones.

I know a good few people that keep greyhounds for racing & this seems to be common practise amoung them when a dog is injured, too old, too slow etc.
    Once a racing dog doesn't perform then it's curtains for the dog. As most people get into greyhound racing for glory & financial gain it doesn't make sense for them to continue to feed a dog that has no potential. That reason doesn't make it right but that's what happens.

One guy I know has sent dogs to someplace up the north so they can be exported to the US to be rehomed as pets. Apparently they go mad for greyhounds over there & as most greyhounds have a lovely temperment it's a situation that suits everyone. The only downside is that it costs approx €35 to send the dog up the north. It doesn't sound like a lot but if you had a good few dogs on the go that weren't making the cut it would get very expensive, very fast.

Now if there was some kind of grant or tax free break offered to those interested in exporting greyhounds as pets then maybe more people would be interested in going the extra mile for the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This just confirms what we already knew that Bord na gCon do not care about the welfare of Greyhounds. They will use the cop out that the care of dogs is a matter for the receiving country. It will not raise much concern here but it will focus European opinion against Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Is it true that there are lower welfare standards for transporting a greyhound than for a pet dog? I was told the minimum crate size is smaller.
    Poor greyhounds get the rawest deal out of life whatever place they're sent to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

While I have no problem with people eating dogs, I do believe that any animal deserves to be raised and killed in the most humane way possible. China has an appaling record when it comes to human rights, so I would imagine that their animal welfare is beyond medieval.

The whole greyhound racing industry is rotten to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Wikipedia:
    Ferdinand (1983–2002) was a Thoroughbred racehorse racehorse who won the 1986 Kentucky Derby and 1987 Breeders' Cup Classic. He was voted the 1987 Eclipse Award for Horse of the Year.
    He entered stud in 1989 and was later sold to a breeding farm in Japan in 1994.
    Much to the outrage of many horse racing enthusiasts, reports indicate that in 2002 Ferdinand was sent to slaughter in Japan with no fanfare or notice to previous owners. He likely became either pet food or steaks for human consumption.[1] Ferdinand's death was the catalyst for the Ferdinand Fee, an optional donation program to fund keeping old racehorses alive.

In horse racing even the Kentucky Derby and Breeders cup wins dont necessarily save you.

I am not sure i agree with grants or tax free breaks for greyhounds.....if the greyhound is sucessful do they pay tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Rather ironic since a huge amount of greyhounds with minor injuries or poor winning percentages are euthanised (humanely and not so humanely) on a routine basis here in Ireland too.
    Some of the luckier ones are also sent to the UK or Italy for rehoming. I would consider one if I didn't already have enough pets- many really are lovely dogs (so long as there's nothing small and furry to chase anyway!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

kylith wrote: »
    While I have no problem with people eating dogs, I do believe that any animal deserves to be raised and killed in the most humane way possible. China has an appaling record when it comes to human rights, so I would imagine that their animal welfare is beyond medieval.

The whole greyhound racing industry is rotten to the core.

Actually you would be amazed at how different attitudes are becoming towards Animal rights in China, with more knowledge and education more and more people are starting to look at how animals are treated, I must personally know about 3 animal rights activists from China and they are very dedicated and try very hard to get people to sign up to there cause. especially dogs. So many people there own dogs now its unreal, walking down the street you see huskies, samoyeds and great Danes as well as all the native breeds, pugs, shih tzu, Chow Chow and Pekingese. With owning Animals for recreation and not working them I think breeds new appreciation of their value as companions. That said China being so big also means that Uneducated scum will still abuse animals for profit.

Protests are going ahead at the Irish Embassy in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Actually you would be amazed at how different attitudes are becoming towards Animal rights in China, with more knowledge and education more and more people are starting to look at how animals are treated, I must personally know about 3 animal rights activists from China and they are very dedicated and try very hard to get people to sign up to there cause. especially dogs. So many people there own dogs now its unreal, walking down the street you see huskies, samoyeds and great Danes as well as all the native breeds, pugs, shih tzu, Chow Chow and Pekingese. With owning Animals for recreation and not working them I think breeds new appreciation of their value as companions. That said China being so big also means that Uneducated scum will still abuse animals for profit.
    Good to hear that attitudes are changing.

"Currently, only endangered species are protected. There is no penalty for hurting or killing other animals sold for food or as pets. Local governments have organised mass killings, including burying dogs alive and beating them to death, to halt the spread of rabies, which is a major cause of human death in China.
    In the past month alone, authorities in Hanzhong, Shaanxi province, rounded up and killed 22,000 dogs after eight people died of rabies. Pet lovers were also up in arms after authorities in Heihe, Heilongjiang province, announced a cull of every dog in the town after an outbreak"

The Guardian 2009

But it would appear that China will introduce an Animal Welfare Bill before we do. The real concern is that money would be wagered on Greyhounds with all the consequent problems.

It would appear that Chris has his own province in China :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

This disgusts me! the treatment my own greyhound got at the hands of these sadists angers me enough but this is enough to turn me into an extremist

Also, Protest Saturday 19th march. I'll be there with my Pace

http://greyhound-action.blogspot.com/2011/03/dublin-protest-against-export-of-irish.html

I would never advocate extremism but it is a shame that the Irish do not care enough to peacefully protest. Greyhound Action Ireland is discredited somewhat by being linked to Hunt saboteurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77

Bord na gCon makes much of its concern for the welfare of greyhounds.That concern is now exposed as a total sham.

It knows well how dogs exported to China will end up. This is the stuff of nightmares. Ever seen a dog being lowered ALIVE into scalding water...or skinned alive for food? Maybe the Board might consider having dog served on the menu at those nifty greyhound track eateries.

Then again, what can you expect of an organisation that also sees nothing wrong with hare coursing?

A dog may be man's best friend, but Bord na gCon certainly aint the greyhound's number one buddy.

The Board's credibility is now in shreds.

Some photos of saturdays protest if anyones interested

http://pix.ie/sensibleken/album/404974

Well done to everyone who made an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

this may sound like the stupidest question but is all dog racing cruel?
    it never occurred to me that it might be. ive never gone myself but i've never thought anything of it.

timshel. wrote: »
    it never occurred to me that it might be. ive never gone myself but i've never thought anything of it.

Well over 10,000 healthy Irish greyhounds are killed every year to fuel racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

timshel. wrote: »

OK, in my opinion no, all dog racing isn't cruel, but I think unfortunately that greed gets in the way and so the good of the dog becomes unimportant to most greyhound kennels.

I have no problem with greyhounds running, chasing a mechanised rabbit, as long as the dogs are looked after properly, including before and after their racing career is finished. If someone has a greyhound and wants them to race, and then that dog stays part of their family until they get old and die, then why not let the dog run? But, thats not what happens in the vast majority of cases. Litters are born, but not all of the dogs will make it as a racing dog, so they may be shot, dumped or disposed of in other ways. Then once a racing dog's career is over, the majority of them again will be shot, dumped or disposed of. Until those practices are stopped altogether, then I can't support an industry that allows them to happen, and I think thats probably how most people would view it.

• Advertisement

Recieved some good news from Maureen O'Sullivan TD this morning.

Yesterday she recieved a response from Minister for Agriculture Shane McEntee in which he assured her he was not in favour of and was not in a position to approve the export of greyhounds to china. He was, although, looking at the idea of helping China build stadiums, but exporting the dogs is a no-go. The statement but the minister is now a matter of Dáil record

She assured me that despite the assurances from the minister she does not consider the matter closed and will keep a close eye on it.

Advertisement