Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance query.....

• 02-03-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just a question about rent allowance. I was back in (part time) employment until last month, I have now been let go because of hse cutbacks. I have been means tested and recieved my first rent allowance payment last week. I live in an apartment with a housemate who is moving out on May 1st when the lease is up. The rent is 700euro now. I am aware that I cannot stay on here on my own as I am not entitled to anywhere near that amount as a single person living alone. I was told that there may be a possible few hours work a week for me during summer months in my home-town, (down the country) so I'm thinking that I might move down and try to get a really cheap place by myself. on the welfare ie site it says the maximum amount I can rent for is 468euro per month. Does this mean that any place i may rent has to be 468 or less? Or does this mean that they would give me 468 euro per month?

I will go to the cwo to talk about it first obviously. Just wondering should I go to CWO here or in the town I'm thinking of moving to? Should I go talk to them now in advance or should I wait until lease is almost up?

I am very doubtful that I could get someone to move in here as I live in a complex that is almost entirely empty and letting agent says they're finding it very hard to rent. So am thinking I would be better off trying my luck back down the country where I know more people and will have better chance of finding work?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

starflake wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just a question about rent allowance. I was back in (part time) employment until last month, I have now been let go because of hse cutbacks. I have been means tested and recieved my first rent allowance payment last week. I live in an apartment with a housemate who is moving out on May 1st when the lease is up. The rent is 700euro now. I am aware that I cannot stay on here on my own as I am not entitled to anywhere near that amount as a single person living alone. I was told that there may be a possible few hours work a week for me during summer months in my home-town, (down the country) so I'm thinking that I might move down and try to get a really cheap place by myself. on the welfare ie site it says the maximum amount I can rent for is 468euro per month. Does this mean that any place i may rent has to be 468 or less? Or does this mean that they would give me 468 euro per month?

I will go to the cwo to talk about it first obviously. Just wondering should I go to CWO here or in the town I'm thinking of moving to? Should I go talk to them now in advance or should I wait until lease is almost up?

I am very doubtful that I could get someone to move in here as I live in a complex that is almost entirely empty and letting agent says they're finding it very hard to rent. So am thinking I would be better off trying my luck back down the country where I know more people and will have better chance of finding work?

Thanks in advance for your help

RA is not transferable between areas. You have to reapply where you will be living and you have to be living at that address to apply. By all means talk to your present CWO of course. But it is where you will be living that counts.

So in effect you have to find a place then move then apply' we moved area last August and are still waitng for RA here.
    No they won;t give it all; depends on your income. But the rent has to fall within the limits they state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Is rent allowance paid directly to the person who applies for it or to the landlord themselves? Is it paid on a weekly/monthly basis?

bmarley wrote: »
    Is rent allowance paid directly to the person who applies for it or to the landlord themselves? Is it paid on a weekly/monthly basis?

Usually direct to the person and weekly; always had mine paid directly into a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Molly Mull

Hi there.
    I receive rent allowance at present....it works out at 89 euro per week - my rent is 500E per month - roughly 125 per week....it is collectable from your local post office....Hope that helps..M

Rent allowance is payable to person who claims for it...on a weekly basis...usually obtained from your local post office.

• Advertisement

Molly Mull wrote: »
    Rent allowance is payable to person who claims for it...on a weekly basis...usually obtained from your local post office.

You can choose where it is paid to; mine goes into my bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

Hi,

You would have to attend the CWO in the town you are going to live, the €468 is the max that the CWO will pay for that area per month. It would depend on how much the place is as to weather or not you will recive the max, dont forget you must add €24 also.

If you get a few hours work the first €75 is disregarded then there is an 25% of the balance is disregard.

Hi there,
    Can anyone please let me know how I would get my rent allowance paid into my account as opposed to collecting from post office on a weekly basis?
    Thanks M

Granger13 wrote: »
    Hi,

You would have to attend the CWO in the town you are going to live, the €468 is the max that the CWO will pay for that area per month. It would depend on how much the place is as to weather or not you will recive the max, dont forget you must add €24 also.

If you get a few hours work the first €75 is disregarded then there is an 25% of the balance is disregard.
    Hi there,
    I didn't quite understand what you meant by the first 75 Euro being disregarded.....can you please explain again.....Oops....
    Thank you.
    M

Graces7 wrote: »
    You can choose where it is paid to; mine goes into my bank account.
    Hi
    Just wanted to know how I would go about organising my Rent Allowance to be paid into my bank account.....
    Thank you.

• Advertisement

Hi there,
    I didn't quite understand what you meant by the first 75 Euro being disregarded.....can you please explain again.....Oops....
    Thank you.
    M

Hi,

When you receive rent allowance, and you take up part time employment, this may effect your rent allowance depending on how much you earn.

When i said the first €75 is disregarded i ment of additional income, for example:

If you got a few hours work and where earning from this employment €75, the first €75 of additinal money is disregarded, meaning you can earn up to €75 weekly without it effecting your rent allowoance, anything over €75 is then disregarded at 25 % of its value.

Hi
    Just wanted to know how I would go about organising my Rent Allowance to be paid into my bank account.....
    Thank you.

You would have to attended the CWO to arrange this.

Its is usual always paid to the person who has applid for the Rent Allowance, on on certain circumtances to they pay it to the landlord, it can be paid weekly or monthly. Most people have it paid weekly. Those who have it paid montly is usually paid by the calender month.

Hi,

When you receive rent allowance, and you take up part time employment, this may effect your rent allowance depending on how much you earn.

When i said the first €75 is disregarded i ment of additional income, for example:

If you got a few hours work and where earning from this employment €75, the first €75 of additinal money is disregarded, meaning you can earn up to €75 weekly without it effecting your rent allowoance, anything over €75 is then disregarded at 25 % of its value.
    Thank you.
    M

You would have to attended the CWO to arrange this.
    Thanks.

Your welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 RyanP

Sorry for thread hijack but thought this question would suit here to add to the topic.

I live with a flatmate.
    Rent is 550 per month.

Can i go an try sort rent allowance for both us on the place, do i say its 550 or 468, (would they not give you rent allowance if its 550)

Also would thye just give me half rent allowance and hed have to go himself to get the other half of it?

Thanks.

If you are living in shared accomadation, they will only pay the amount for that county based on a person in shared accomadation, if the two of youse qualify for rent allowance then both will each get the rate equal to the shared accomadation to cover the assesed rent for that area less the €24 contribution. But each housemate will have to apply in their own right for the rent allowance.

Hi
    Thank you.

It is on the forms somewhere I seem to remember.. The same with the Solid Fuel allowance... Gives payment options.

Thanks.

No; payment options are on the form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement