Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The legend of zelda: skyward sword

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Am I the only one had no problem with the flying/swimming sections? O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's horrible news. It's not sophisticated tech and it'd be a selling point for hardcores.

In any case, i found the steering of
    the boat
    MUCH better than the annoying crap with flying - it's horrible. If i want to fly half-decent i have to change the way i hold the wiimote.

You will be surprised at how much power it takes to emulate consoles. How many times more powerful are the PCs that can run wii games at 1080p :P

The flying/swimming controls are by no means bad but they just feel tacked on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Game is really annoying me. Every time I pick up a bug or ornament thing it tells me the same ****ing thing and stops the game. Unskippable repetitive cut scenes.. every time I go back to the sky the falling and whistling routine. Very very annoying. I have 2 "trials" done so far and despite being called something different they're exactly the same thing and no fun. Every time I go to a bird statue it tends to pick the wrong option. Really really irritating. Pretty shambolic for a game that is supposed to be the Wii's shining glory.

This is nowhere near as fun as previous Zelda games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

try playing the harp its too hard and still cant get my first song, i finding the harp to hard to play, using wii remote to play the harp is too hard, y just two ways playing the harp with wii remote or with GameCube controller/ classic controller,

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Bundle pak, has change its price to begin with it was from €59.99, but it now from €74.99 everywhere, it was only €59.99 during lunch season, so the new price for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Bundle pak is from €74.99 not from €59.99 any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    try playing the harp its too hard and still cant get my first song, i finding the harp to hard to play, using wii remote to play the harp is too hard, y just two ways playing the harp with wii remote or with GameCube controller/ classic controller,

The harp takes a bit of timing but otherwise is quite easy to play. Keep your movements even and controlled and follow whatever prompt you're given, be it an expanding circle or some swaying people.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword bundle pak is no longer €59.99 its now €74.99 in most stores. yes its right all games stores are selling The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword bundle pak, but the The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword game on its own without the CD history of zelda games and gold zelda wii remote, is from €49.99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Why oh why can't I just use my classic controller or my Wavebird?
    The motion controls are a complete pain in the backside!
    I have a feeling that all this messing about is to distract us from the fact that the twin stick configuration on the 360 and PS3 are the ideal for this type of gaming, we got to see that on the Gamecube with both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, the Wii simply isn't setup for big adventures needing this type of control.

This probably also the reason that the Mario Galaxy games featured either fixed point cameras or spherical planets, so the camera never became an issue, as it does here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Looks like future zelda games will never go back to buttons

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329445/zelda-cannot-go-back-to-button-controls/

Looks like future zelda games will never go back to buttons

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329445/zelda-cannot-go-back-to-button-controls/

Good.

If you're conscious of what you're swinging at and how z-targeting works in this game, the motion controls add to the game. Swinging wildly gets you nothing in Skyward Sword and neither does getting frustrated that your hand-eye coordination isn't as good as button-pressing mechanics have convinced you.

Next game needs more Re-Deads and Darknuts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Rhyme wrote: »
    Next game needs more Re-Deads and Darknuts though.

Could care less about re-deads, but the thought of gradually cutting a Darknuts armour off piece by piece using 1-1 sword controls has me salivating...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stupid question:

Is Motionplus a necessity?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is Motionplus a necessity?

to play Skyward Sword? Absolutely. You won't be able to play the game without it.

Does it add everything? It sure does. You gotta lob and roll the wiimote for bombs, and swordplay strikes entirely hinge on how you swing it :) If you haven't bought the game yet i'd recommend going to Smyths and seeing if they have the golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €60

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Daith

Good lord this can be annoying.

Down to one or two hearts? I get the iconic beeping. Then I get FI whining that I need more hearts.

Solve a puzzle, cut to a scene showing a door open? Great. Then I'll get FI telling me there's a 90% chance that the door leads to the whatever mcguffin.

I've started to avoid picking up those items that tell me once again what the item is and how rare it can be while my item count goes up by one.

I miss ALttP. Where I'm pretty much by myself and get occansional hints from people. Do I really need to be told on my third trial what the hell I'm supposed to be doing again!?? Let me get on with it!

Master Daith, your Wii mote batteries have almost depleted :p

Yes, she's annoying as hell. I think I appreciated her input maybe 3 times throughout the 55 hours. The "let me show you what bug it is" is the first time in every session, so you need longer sessions!

And woah, those trials. So annoying, it delayed me beating the game by at least a week, where i'd save beforehand and not want to do it, so i just didn't play for a few days, lol.

Have to say, the music is fairly weak (for a zelda game, that is); although it's really beautiful hearing an orchestra. Just not up to the standard of the melodies of previous titles.

Even though the game was pretty slow to get going, the last 10-15 hours, i quite enjoyed, felt much bigger. But overall i'm in 'handheld' territory when ranking this game among the other Zeldas.

Oh yes does MotionPlus just eat batteries?

The game also feels so..disjointed. Having to warp back to Skyloft to get to another section of the ground area seems like a step back compared to Ocarina and Wind Waker.

I'm trying to put my finger on why the game feels a lot smaller overall. Maybe it's because you can't walk from eg the desert to the woods. Or maybe because ya gotta revisit places once or twice?

I'm trying to put my finger on why the game feels a lot smaller overall. Maybe it's because you can't walk from eg the desert to the woods. Or maybe because ya gotta revisit places once or twice?

See Metroid has a lot of revisiting places but still feels big. Zelda seems more like Mario Galaxy with disconencted play areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My countdown to playing this has begun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Anyone know where this is the cheapest?

• Advertisement

to play Skyward Sword? Absolutely. You won't be able to play the game without it.

Does it add everything? It sure does. You gotta lob and roll the wiimote for bombs, and swordplay strikes entirely hinge on how you swing it :) If you haven't bought the game yet i'd recommend going to Smyths and seeing if they have the golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €60

zelda golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €60 isnt €60 its now €75 recently change its price since begining of december, Skyward Sword with golden wiimote motion+ bundle is now €75 not €60 i just saw new price for zelda Skyward Sword with golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €74.99, the zelda Skyward Sword with golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €59.99 was only lunch price its now €74.99

i said that and got a liar etc. but try Smyths anyway. 2 weeks ago it was still 60 bucks for the wiimote, haven't been there since though.

i think the flying annoyed me a bit more that the
    ship steering is MUCH easier and intuitive....

Did anyone like the
    trials? I didn't think they made sense - I get 'courage' (shedding your weapons/physical power) but 'power' made no sense!

Did anyone like the
    trials? I didn't think they made sense - I get 'courage' (shedding your weapons/physical power) but 'power' made no sense!

I made the same (vague) connection for courage and an even looser connection for wisdom (picking a route, planning ahead, leaving the easier tears for last) but strength? No... zero connection.

I found them really entertaining though. They were tense, they tested skills usually ignored, they had a real sense of relief and rewards when they were completed. I feel they took the bug-hunt from Twilight Princess and improved on it massively creating something that objectively was good (C/C+) but compared to Twilight Princess, excellent (B/B+).

The big 'reveal' on the trial areas when you're collecting the
    triforce
    near the end was nice too.

Glad to see someone enjoyed them. I'm sure that's what they were going for but it wasn't my cup of tea at all. I hate timed segments. Definitely give you 'courage' but wisdom and strength can get the boat!

Kotaku released a pic from the new Zelda artwork book that's coming out -- includes a timeline!

zeldatimeline2011.jpg
    "Note that the "split" is due to Ocarina's time differences and assumptions based on the different ways that story could have ended and branched off from his two ages: the Link to the Past split is Link failing, the Majora's split is Link defeating Ganon and branching off from his boyhood and the Wind Waker split is Link defeating Ganon and branching from his older years.

So, yeah, that suggests not only alternate universes, but two parallel universes spinning off the same single outcome."

I don't get how split timelines can occur, though? Surely at the end of Ocarina, Link chooses to do something, and that happens. Like if he went into the future, it'd be the future of him not being around for 7 years. There's still only one timeline. Of course this is just to give something that doesn't have a timeline a semblance of one!

Glad to see someone enjoyed them. I'm sure that's what they were going for but it wasn't my cup of tea at all. I hate timed segments. Definitely give you 'courage' but wisdom and strength can get the boat!

Kotaku released a pic from the new Zelda artwork book that's coming out -- includes a timeline!

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8987/zeldatimeline2011.jpg

I don't get how split timelines can occur, though? Surely at the end of Ocarina, Link chooses to do something, and that happens. Like if he went into the future, it'd be the future of him not being around for 7 years. There's still only one timeline. Of course this is just to give something that doesn't have a timeline a semblance of one!

1) Link fails to defeat ganon.
    2) Link defeats ganon but returns to his childhood and experiences the events of Majora.
    3) Link defeats ganon and continues living in the present thereby avoiding the events of majora and anything else that followed in the previous seven years.

Thanks, but i wanted to know how a split timeline can occur! like i know it's just a reasoning as to how they can all tie together; but even if you're gonna go down the infinite parallel outcomes route, there's only one true reality, if that makes sense? Like up until OoT, there's only one timeline. like which one of the three is the 'real' one that the same link prior to OoT lived through? Like there's one of them that did happen, and two 'alternate' realities?

God sigh i'm such a nerd :o:pac::pac:

the 1st song the harp is impossible which they this easier, if find it hard imagine how teenager feel playing the harp, the is harp bit too hard to play

zeldatimeline2011.jpg

you for got cD-i games from The Legend of Zelda series, Link: The Faces of Evil, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon, and Zelda's Adventure.

wampyrus77 wrote: »

They were sucked into a blackhole; their fabric of spacetime destroyed, they were never heard from again.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but i wanted to know how a split timeline can occur! like i know it's just a reasoning as to how they can all tie together; but even if you're gonna go down the infinite parallel outcomes route, there's only one true reality, if that makes sense? Like up until OoT, there's only one timeline. like which one of the three is the 'real' one that the same link prior to OoT lived through? Like there's one of them that did happen, and two 'alternate' realities?

God sigh i'm such a nerd :o:pac::pac:

Up until the end of Ocarina of Time, there is one timeline (Ganondorf fucks everyone up, adult Link kills him). When Zelda sends him back into the past it splits the timeline into A) Link growing up and defeating Majora and B) a future where Ganondorf was sealed away and Link is in another timeline.

Fast forward a few years and Link in A) is fighting Majora and in B) Ganondorf comes back to a Hyrule with no Link and takes it over forcing the Gods to flood Hyrule before Wind Waker. I don't know where they're getting that third timeline. They might have pulled it out of their ass just as i've pulled the above theory out of my ass.

I hate myself.
    Just to spread more crap around; do you know the skeleton-sword-tutor-guy from Twilight Princess? I got the impression that he's the Link from Ocarina of Time that was sent back in time, travelled to Termina and defeated Majora and eventually died of old age.

Advertisement