Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The legend of zelda: skyward sword

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Multiple outcome timelines? What utter rubbish, guess they needed to fill the book with something. As mentioned, if it's a canon timeline, the CD-I games would be touched on. Kinda convenient they were forgoten

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Daith

EnterNow wrote: »
    Multiple outcome timelines? What utter rubbish, guess they needed to fill the book with something. As mentioned, if it's a canon timeline, the CD-I games would be touched on. Kinda convenient they were forgoten

Well the only multiple timelines should be from Ocarina. Link sent back to the past and Link from after defeating Ganon as an adult.

Then we should get one game which ties the two together.

Daith wrote: »
    Well the only multiple timelines should be from Ocarina. Link sent back to the past and Link from after defeating Ganon as an adult.

Then we should get one game which ties the two together.

Its a total afterthought. Do you honestly believe the dev's had a grand story in mind from the beginning? Somebody found a way to tie a few games in together, & those that didn't fit, were thrown into the 'alt' timelines.

No mention of the CD-i based games either.

I don't know why people feel a need to have these games tied together, there is no connection outside of peoples heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

in the last dungeon now my god its a head **** and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Daith

EnterNow wrote: »
    Its a total afterthought. Do you honestly believe the dev's had a grand story in mind from the beginning? Somebody found a way to tie a few games in together, & those that didn't fit, were thrown into the 'alt' timelines.

No mention of the CD-i based games either.

I don't know why people feel a need to have these games tied together, there is no connection outside of peoples heads

I think you need to give up on the CD-i games :p

There's is a connection between several games though isnt there? The towns in Zelda 2 connected to the Sages in Ocarina. Hero of Time referenced in Wind Waker. I dont personally need to have the games related but I dont see the harm in people trying to link them.

In Wind Waker doesnt it mention that the Hero of Time disappeared while looking for a friend. I always thought that referenced Majora and young Link looking for Navi.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    I think you need to give up on the CD-i games :p

There's is a connection between several games though isnt there? The towns in Zelda 2 connected to the Sages in Ocarina. Hero of Time referenced in Wind Waker. I dont personally need to have the games related but I dont see the harm in people trying to link them.

Oh I gave up on them a long time ago, but don't you think it's convenient though that they were just not mentioned while trying to establish a canon.

Sure, there's a common theme running through the games, with a Karkariko village in one game, & another one in another. There's references to a Hero of Time, long gone Warriors etc etc...& it's true that some of them may very well be connected. But there's no grand story arc that connects them all, what is linked to above is just joining the dots. Any dots that didn't fit are just put conveniently into another category & tryed connecting with other misfits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apart from the obvious sequels - the two Wind Waker follow-ups and Ocarina / Majora's Mask - I really couldn't give two ****s about the timeline :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

well i just check the smyths website and the legend of zelda skyward sword bundle pak it's out of stock, i just check had quick look around city centre dublin today at GAME, HMV and Gamestop, and the legend of zelda skyward sword bundle pak price same price €74.99 not €59.99, should have got it when it lunch last november, looking the legend of zelda skyward sword bundle pak to buy it for xmas its about €74.99 not €59.99 should have got it release date so save money, its no longer its €59.99 its now €74.99

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Bundle pak, has change its price to begin with it was from €59.99, but it now from €74.99 everywhere, it was only €59.99 during lunch season, so the new price for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Bundle pak is from €74.99 not from €59.99 any more.
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword bundle pak is no longer €59.99 its now €74.99 in most stores. yes its right all games stores are selling The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword bundle pak, but the The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword game on its own without the CD history of zelda games and gold zelda wii remote, is from €49.99
    zelda golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €60 isnt €60 its now €75 recently change its price since begining of december, Skyward Sword with golden wiimote motion+ bundle is now €75 not €60 i just saw new price for zelda Skyward Sword with golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €74.99, the zelda Skyward Sword with golden wiimote motion+ bundle for €59.99 was only lunch price its now €74.99
    well i just check the smyths website and the legend of zelda skyward sword bundle pak it's out of stock, i just check had quick look around city centre dublin today at GAME, HMV and Gamestop, and the legend of zelda skyward sword bundle pak price same price €74.99 not €59.99, should have got it when it lunch last november, looking the legend of zelda skyward sword bundle pak to buy it for xmas its about €74.99 not €59.99 should have got it release date so save money, its no longer its €59.99 its now €74.99

Wampyrus77 what is with your posts? I'm not trying to be insulting but you have gone over this point several times in this thread yet it also seems like you have the game
    try playing the harp its too hard and still cant get my first song, i finding the harp to hard to play, using wii remote to play the harp is too hard, y just two ways playing the harp with wii remote or with GameCube controller/ classic controller,

Again, not trying to be insulting but I don't know what you are hoping for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Especially odd when the sentence 'buy it online' would suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Rhyme wrote: »
    I don't know where they're getting that third timeline.

Maybe it's because Adult Link is forced to travel back in time at least once before he's capable of defeating Ganondorf? You have to collect the Lens of Truth and Silver Gauntlets before you can continue with the last two dungeons, and you can only collect them as a child. It's possible to collect both in one trip, so optimally, you need only time-travel once in the entire game (bearing in mind that Link doesn't time-travel whenever he picks up the Master Sword as a child - he's instead put into stasis for seven years in the Chamber of Sages).

So, Link disappears from his original timeline (the one where the items were still in their respective treasure chests as an adult) after Water Temple, and essentially fails, giving Ganondorf free rein over Hyrule until the Sages seal him away in the Dark World before A Link to the Past. Link reappears in a separate timeline (where the items had been collected in his childhood), vanquishes Ganondorf, and then vanishes from this timeline when Zelda returns him to his childhood - this is the Wind Waker branch. Link returns to his childhood in another distinct timeline - and that's the Majora's Mask branch.

There's a nice, consistent reason for the timeline branches - they're each based around Link leaving his current adult timeline to alter the course of his childhood. I'd imagine they had actually planned a lot of this stuff out in advance, there are some old interviews where Eiji Aonuma or somebody confirmed that OoT causes the timeline to bifurcate, it's just that they didn't explicitly state how it does.

Er, anyway... *takes Zelda nerd hat off* :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

*takes Zelda nerd hat off* :p

I actually have a Zelda Nerd Hat!

Got it off a Gamestop employee who got it from a Nintendo rep, a seldom seen race of people who rarely give out freebies at all, but now I own a green cap resembling Links with the Skyward Sword logo on the front! :)

The first hour of this game is magnificent anyway, 'vaseline' graphics and all ;) Up there with Child of Eden for art design of the year.

Plus the soundtrack - swoon!

Only thing I'm not one hundred percent sold on is the controls. Seem grand for the most part, but my bird kept seeming to stall and dive during the race sequence :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Only thing I'm not one hundred percent sold on is the controls. Seem grand for the most part, but my bird kept seeming to stall and dive during the race sequence :(

If the birds starts to stall or flap in place, tilt forward a little and flap the Wiimote. I didn't cop it for a while first time. As for the diving, the bird only dives when you're tilted forward so either tilt less or re-calibrate/re-centre the Wiimote.

Not really a dive: more of a slow, steady descent. Seems to act normally otherwise Will give the flapping a go though, cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I might be being silly here, really enjoying the game like. But how do I roll/change the arc of a bomb I'm throwing/rolling?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

With the wiimote you'll have to 'lob' the remote the throw it - like if you were gonna throw a basketball.

to roll the remote, hold the bomb (B i think) and bring your hand down straight so the wiimote is upside down, and swing like a bowling ball, release B. You can tilt the wiimote as it's upside down to curl it :)

pretty nifty, eh! definitely requires much more precision than TP's "just shake it" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Glad to see I'm not the only one who savoured this for Christmas. :D. Absolutely loving it to pieces. The bird controls also took me a while to get used to, felt like I was perpetually falling for ages. Now though I just love flying. Still got nothing on sailing tho. :(. Motion controls took a little getting used, couldn't even kill those damn dekubaba's. Anybody else, wish they cut shut Fi up. I try to avoid dowsing and everything whenever I can, but it really felt like she was being awfully pushy forcing you to search a confined area. I know it's early game yet, but I hope it doesn't remain that way. :)

Just hit hour fifteen and the
    Temple of Time.
    I wish I had more time to play, because I'm absolutely adoring it at this stage. Brilliant level design, fantastic items (really want a Wii version of Luigi's Mansion now!) and epic story / music / art. Particularly fond of the Goddess Cube unlockable chests - really nice touch to add lots of worthwhile depth to the sky overworld.

I'm playing Skyrim concurrently, and TBH I am getting much, much more enjoyment out of Zelda. A masterful piece of solid Nintendo gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

really want a Wii version of Luigi's Mansion now
    If you don't know getting a sequel on the 3DS, I too would probably prefer it on the Wii to be honest

• Advertisement

I adore everything about this game. There's a new surprise every couple of minutes, and probably the most fun
    minecart
    section in the history of gaming! Keep thinking they won't top the previous gadget, but the next one always delights (
    twin hookshot
    is my latest giddy acquisition). Bar a small few negligible control and design eccentricities (revisiting
    the forest temple to collect water
    was slightly pointless) this is the most exciting, compelling and innovative Nintendo game I've played in an awful long time.

Must still finish Skyrim and Metroid prime 3 before buying this game! Especially metroid which i've had for a year now! (Although did finish the first 2 in that time :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yay, finished it today! Was brilliant, apart from some backtracking.

I think I'll put it on a par with OoT, not quite at MM or LttP level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd put it on par with MM tbh, which was my favourite up to now. Now joint favourite!

i still cant get pass harp lesson b4 imprisoned boss, the harp is to hard play

can u play harp without using the wii remote plus, they should use the classic controller and press buttons like in ocarina of time

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's not THAT difficult to move the wiimote left and right is it?

To be honest, the only harp bit I found a pain was when you have to play along with the girl in the bar. And that's only because they didn't really tell you what the **** you were meant to be doing.

Other than that, found it an absolute breeze to play.

Finally started playing this after buying it from Gamesnash a few weeks ago.

I'm about 5 hours into it now and it's been great. Absolutely loving it.

Still haven't finished Skyrim or Metroid Prime 3 though as I said I would earlier in the thread (on top of a load of other games) :D

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Finally started playing this after buying it from Gamesnash a few weeks ago.

I'm about 5 hours into it now and it's been great. Absolutely loving it.

Still haven't finished Skyrim or Metroid Prime 3 though as I said I would earlier in the thread (on top of a load of other games) :D

wait until u reach the harp lesson

Advertisement