Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The legend of zelda: skyward sword

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Oh dear. With santa bringing ocarina on christmas morning, I'm not sure if I should leave this until late January or get it now and finish before the 25th......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I do agree with what you're saying, but are you suggesting I rent every game that comes out to decide if it's worth playing? .

No, I'm not really. If you don't like sports games, the fact that fifa got a 9.3 shouldn't sway you. You know what you like. If you like RPG's, you should try Skyrim. Like racing games, try the new NFS. Like shooting games, etc. etc.

I sometimes feel that people get games just because of what other people say....because its the popular thing to do. Either by reviews or popular opinion. They don't think for themselves.

I know people who aren't into shooters at all and got MW3. And never played it after the first week. I also know a person who hates adventure games and yet bought the 3d remake of Ocarina because it was rated the best game of all time......and then were disappointed.....because they don't like adventure games. :p

Reviews are nice because you get a different opinion to compare to your own. But too many people just take somebody else's opinion in a review instead of forming one of their own. People shouldn't be making their game purchases based on what metacritic says. Some of the best games I've ever played have mediocre scores on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Anyone else getting messed up colours at this part, Im playing the game on my wii which has bits of green at this point wheres the emulator shot looks perfect.
    viewimage.php?img=5640_1321632034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kirby wrote: »
    No, I'm not really. If you don't like sports games, the fact that fifa got a 9.3 shouldn't sway you. You know what you like. If you like RPG's, you should try Skyrim. Like racing games, try the new NFS. Like shooting games, etc. etc.

I sometimes feel that people get games just because of what other people say....because its the popular thing to do. Either by reviews or popular opinion. They don't think for themselves.

I know people who aren't into shooters at all and got MW3. And never played it after the first week. I also know a person who hates adventure games and yet bought the 3d remake of Ocarina because it was rated the best game of all time......and then were disappointed.....because they don't like adventure games. :p

Reviews are nice because you get a different opinion to compare to your own. But too many people just take somebody else's opinion in a review instead of forming one of their own. People shouldn't be making their game purchases based on what metacritic says. Some of the best games I've ever played have mediocre scores on it.

Yeah... this is the games forum on boards, i think most of the regulars on here know what type of games they like :)

Reviews/Educated opinions (Those from people on boards) are essiential for people that play games more than a casual gamer, because it would be a damn expensive hobby otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

A favourite character returns.

HeartPiece03.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I haven't bought a Wii game in years so don't have a controller with motion plus. Is the controller in the bundle a motion plus one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I haven't bought a Wii game in years so don't have a controller with motion plus. Is the controller in the bundle a motion plus one?
    Yeah. It's a motion plus controller, combining the motion plus add on with the wii remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Yeah. It's a motion plus controller, combining the motion plus add on with the wii remote.

Cheers. May as well get it since buying the add on separately looks to cost about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Cheers. May as well get it since buying the add on separately looks to cost about the same.

Call into your closest xtravison ;) Most stores have been selling the motion plus add ons that they rented out with wii sports resort the last ages but pretty much no stores ever have them on display. They are on the system as previously played and are only 15 quid.

Just ask.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i was in HMV and wii motion plus controllers were the best part of 50 quid??! Seriously. Like 47 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I'm just finished the 1st dungeon. So far i like it a lot. Story's got me sucked in already, I love the controls. It's all great.

Only gripe so far, is the graphics. The textures seems to be pretty low res.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Par for the course on a standard def console unfortunately, but it's like subtitles in a movie in that you get past it quickly imo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Volvagia wrote: »
    I'm just finished the 1st dungeon. So far i like it a lot. Story's got me sucked in already, I love the controls. It's all great.

Only gripe so far, is the graphics. The textures seems to be pretty low res.

It's the Wii, so it's not gonna blow you away. It's like complaining that your car doesn't drive across lakes.

Low res graphics aside, the art style of the game is beautiful, it's like a cross between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, with items in the distance taking on a lovely painting style blurryness. Cannot fault the style of the game in any way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't get the complaints about poor graphics on the Wii. As long as the art is good I don't mind and it's gameplay that counts. The Wii actually looks gorgeous on a CRT screen which the Gamecube hardware it's based on was developed for. It looks a bit crap on a HD screen because there's no scanlines to cover up the low resolution and lack of anti aliasing. IF a games good enough you should be able to get over it... or play it on an emulator :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Agreed, the style is great.

Maybe if I give some context to my comment it will make more sense. I didn't own a wii before Skyward Sword. I played Twilight Princess on the Gamecube. So i can plead a little bit of ignorance about the fact that my car doesn't drive on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Only just turned it on to have a look and while I'm going to play it regardless, it is a disappointment to have the graphics such a low quality. Yes, it looks pretty, but if Nintendo had pulled the finger out years ago, it would be stunning. Nintendo seem to be last gen for hardware but next gen for software!

Who cares what it looks like.great graphics are way down the list of things that make great games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

chrislad wrote: »
    Only just turned it on to have a look and while I'm going to play it regardless, it is a disappointment to have the graphics such a low quality. Yes, it looks pretty, but if Nintendo had pulled the finger out years ago, it would be stunning. Nintendo seem to be last gen for hardware but next gen for software!

The gamecube had a better graphics/cpu chip than the PS2 and look where it landed them :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jaykhunter wrote: »
    i was in HMV and wii motion plus controllers were the best part of 50 quid??! Seriously. Like 47 euros.

I noticed that it was more expensive depending on colour recently, which is bizarre. Think there was a five or ten euro difference between the white and black models, with blue somewhere in between :pac: The Wiimote edition of this is only 55 euro online, so basically you're getting a new Zelda for a tenner! Or, at least you can tell yourself that.

My SE from Amazon arrived this morning. Delighted my parents weren't even considerate enough to hide it away :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I am about 30 hours in right now and It is a very enjoyable game. I play on a widescreen CRT television and the graphics don't seem that bad tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

got this today, but can only find one half of my controller !! been so long since i played my wii , i cannot remember where it could be grrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Check under the cat!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

No access to CRT. So i'm "stuck" playing on my HDTV. Changed the input to scart and lowest resolution. It actually looks better! The jags get up my nose. I love the cell-shaded art style, but damn, the jags. It's probably from playing my PS3/360 this year and dusting off my Wii to play this, but ah man.

This is all I want - the Wii to output in 1080p, so no more jags. is that so much to ask for! Pirates get it, but not paying customers :(

what makes you think its only pirates who get it? if you legitimately own the game disc you can run it on an emulator just by popping it into your dvd drive, can you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Check under the cat!

not there either :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Helix wrote: »
    what makes you think its only pirates who get it? if you legitimately own the game disc you can run it on an emulator just by popping it into your dvd drive, can you not?

Indeed you can do it, but i think it's still technically illegal. Plus, Wii Motion + isn't fully supported by Dolphin atm iirc. It does however look great (from the youtube video's i've seen of it).

not entirely sure if emulation itself is illegal. acquiring roms/isos certainly skirts close to the line if you don't own the original though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Emulation is not illegal at all, no matter what the Nintendo website will tell you. However, roms and images of games are illegal as are bios files from the systems that are still under copyright.

I think copyright law has been changed and owning an original of a game and an image of it is still illegal, pretty retarded but there you go.

so nothing illegal about sticking your retail copy of skyward sword into your pc and playing it in lovely high definition then so

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    so nothing illegal about sticking your retail copy of skyward sword into your pc and playing it in lovely high definition then so

Nope although if you need bios files to run the emulator like some do then it would be illegal to have the bios files on your system. However don't expect the Gardai to call to your door to drag you off to mountjoy if you do.

Advertisement