Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The legend of zelda: skyward sword

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think copyright law has been changed and owning an original of a game and an image of it is still illegal, pretty retarded but there you go.
    Helix wrote: »
    so nothing illegal about sticking your retail copy of skyward sword into your pc and playing it in lovely high definition then so

Think you mis-read Retro there. Wii discs run on PCs - You sure? Put in DKCR into mine and it didn't read. That said, the Wii can't run CDs either; or DVDs; it uses it's own special Wii discs.

I'd image that technically; ripping an iso of the game you own is illegal. As is playing a Wii game via a non propriatary console (your PC).

It's moot for me anyway, I don't have a powerhouse gaming PC. I bought it in 2002 and I'm lucky it can open e-mails!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah I get where you are coming from. I do remember I couldn't rip images of my Wii games because the PC couldn't read them (I like to play my games from hard disk because the Wii laser is so dodgy). If they did run you'd be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Think you mis-read Retro there. Wii discs run on PCs - You sure? Put in DKCR into mine and it didn't read. That said, the Wii can't run CDs either; or DVDs; it uses it's own special Wii discs.

I'd image that technically; ripping an iso of the game you own is illegal. As is playing a Wii game via a non propriatary console (your PC).

It's moot for me anyway, I don't have a powerhouse gaming PC. I bought it in 2002 and I'm lucky it can open e-mails!!

Afaik, the illegal part is circumventing copyright protection (in this case ripping your disc).

Reverse engineering a wii to implement its function calls on a pc probably isn't illegal (unless it contains the wii's bios)

EDIT: there is only certain DVD drives that can read wii games (i cant remember the brand though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Just had a moment of realisation while playing this relating to the place names that feature and Zelda lore.
    Each of the three main areas are named (kind of) after the three Golden Goddesses. Faron - Farore, Eldin - Din and Lanayru - Nayru. I know these featured in Twilight Princess too but it gave me a warm feeling inside when I realised the connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

EDIT: there is only certain DVD drives that can read wii games (i cant remember the brand though)

LG drives mostly read them as far as I know, as do a few other brands. 'Tis a pity because I'd love to rip all my gamecube/wii games and play them in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

LG drives mostly read them as far as I know, as do a few other brands. 'Tis a pity because I'd love to rip all my gamecube/wii games and play them in HD.

Google is your friend :P I would tell you here but Its probably not OK to discuss on boards

I just completed the
    Ancient Cistern
    (4th dungeon) and it really had a kick ass boss :P

lads help me out here - where can i find Dusk rellics? i need some for upgrading.

is there a place where i can buy treasures instead of hunting for them?

cheers :)

lads help me out here - where can i find Dusk rellics? i need some for upgrading.

is there a place where i can buy treasures instead of hunting for them?

cheers :)

How far are you in the game? You will eventually stumble upon them when you reach a certain part.

You can also purchase them from the moonlight merchant

ta. When i switched on Zelda last night, a few minutes later i reached that point :) Cheers for the link - that's really helpful!

Where's the best place to farm for ornamental skulls? I need a few..
    Is there a (best) place to sell your stuff, like i've got a lot of blue feathers (found in the
    woods with the kiwis-thingies, from blue birds
    )

ta. When i switched on Zelda last night, a few minutes later i reached that point :) Cheers for the link - that's really helpful!

Where's the best place to farm for ornamental skulls? I need a few..
    Is there a (best) place to sell your stuff, like i've got a lot of blue feathers (found in the
    woods with the kiwis-thingies, from blue birds
    )

this wiki should hep you out: http://ie.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/Ornamental_Skull

Words cannot describe how much I hate that harp mini game at the pumpkin bar. I must be on my 8th attempt now :mad:

• Advertisement

cheers. i scraped a pass at it; i'd recommend just listening to the song once (even with a stop watch by ur side) so u know when the quick right-left-right is coming. and then replay it knowing that :)

cheers. i scraped a pass at it; i'd recommend just listening to the song once (even with a stop watch by ur side) so u know when the quick right-left-right is coming. and then replay it knowing that :)

Just managed to complete it now. I wasn't moving the wii remote quickly enough. You can kinda cheat by flicking the wii remote to one side and back :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

IGN Gave this game 10/10 yet Gamespot only gave it 7.5/10, which review should I go with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

IGN Gave this game 10/10 yet Gamespot only gave it 7.5/10, which review should I go with?

Average them - then it's 8 and 3/4s game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Average them - then it's 8 and 3/4s game.

Better than that so far...

I'm still ploughing through it, but I'd give it a 9.0 but freshness would be a 5 maybe. storyline isn't that engaging, it's alright. there's not much really new (well i'm just after getting my first evil relic). That's said it's still Zelda and I adore the franchise. we'll see how the rest of the game pans out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I'm still ploughing through it, but I'd give it a 9.0 but freshness would be a 5 maybe. storyline isn't that engaging, it's alright. there's not much really new (well i'm just after getting my first evil relic). That's said it's still Zelda and I adore the franchise. we'll see how the rest of the game pans out though.

Was half thinking of picking this up but don't think I'll bother (for the moment anyway). Didn't like the Twilight Princess at all, but apparently this is more akin to the Wind Waker, which I did enjoy. I'm not a big fan of Zelda (the first game I played was the Wind Waker) and they all seem a bit samey to me. Is this one any different? The graphics alone would put me off (and before anybody says it graphics do count).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Vyse wrote: »
    Was half thinking of picking this up but don't think I'll bother (for the moment anyway). Didn't like the Twilight Princess at all, but apparently this is more akin to the Wind Waker, which I did enjoy. I'm not a big fan of Zelda (the first game I played was the Wind Waker) and they all seem a bit samey to me. Is this one any different? The graphics alone would put me off (and before anybody says it graphics do count).

same here,was thinking of getting it for xmas.........

It really sounds like you should give it a miss then. If the hype train didn't snare you and you didn't like TP and the same-ness is already up your nose, then i can't see you being happy with this purchase. I hear Skyrim's awesome though lol

I hate to think i'm a graphics whore but going from Batman Arkham City to johnny-flat-textures and jaggedy-andy of Wii's Skyward Sword is a major shock. That said if you get it for the PC it'd be glorious :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

It really sounds like you should give it a miss then. If the hype train didn't snare you and you didn't like TP and the same-ness is already up your nose, then i can't see you being happy with this purchase. I hear Skyrim's awesome though lol

Skyrim is definitely where I'll be heading for. Oblivion still ranks as one of my favourite games this gen. It's unfortuante as I wouldn't mind something to play on the Wii as we've had it two years and it's got zero use (we got it free with a mobile phone deal).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Better than that so far...

Well, the point was more that a number based rating system is all kinds of stupid, but yes I imagine you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So is this worth getting or not? I'm currently addicted to Skyrim but I was still thinking of getting this over Christmas. If its not a really top class game and a great experience I'll just stick to Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Vyse wrote: »
    Skyrim is definitely where I'll be heading for. Oblivion still ranks as one of my favourite games this gen. It's unfortuante as I wouldn't mind something to play on the Wii as we've had it two years and it's got zero use (we got it free with a mobile phone deal).

There are lots of great Wii games, you just have to do a bit of digging.

Have you played Xenoblade Chronicles? It's brilliant. Best JRPG I've played in years.

Saying that, I've moved all my Wii gaming over to my PC. After seeing some of the higher resolutions, it's pretty hard to go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

im on the sand sea bit now :D.

great game all the same, the vastness is huge imo and i think the story is pretty decent as it is the prequel to orcirina of time.

spoiler tags ricero! but yeah, it's awesome. I think that's my favourite dungeon so far. when it came about i immediately thought
    "somebody's seen Pirates 3"
    lol

I am just about finished the game now (50 hours in) and all in all it is a solid zelda title. It does have a few flaws like the pointless adoption/usage of wii motion plus controls for actives such as swimming and flying. Other than that the controls seem to be spot on.

My favourite dungeon has to be the
    Lanayru Mining Facility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

when wii u comes next year, all the wii games will playing in HD since the WII U is a HD WII,

so you can play zelda in HD When Wii U comes next year

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    when wii u comes next year, all the wii games will playing in HD since the WII U is a HD WII,

so you can play zelda in HD When Wii U comes next year

Not true. Nintendo has previously stated that the wii u will not upscale/render wii games in HD (thus they will look the same as if you were playing on Wii)

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/your-wii-games-wont-be-upscaled-on-wii-u/3357/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

So lads, ladies or both

Is this game worth picking up

Only zelda game i ever played was twilight princess on the wii this year and very much enjoyed it bar the dog missions .

This worth the fifty smackeroos

• Advertisement

That's horrible news. It's not sophisticated tech and it'd be a selling point for hardcores.

In any case, i found the steering of
    the boat
    MUCH better than the annoying crap with flying - it's horrible. If i want to fly half-decent i have to change the way i hold the wiimote.

Advertisement