Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Communion

• 02-03-2011 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone Shot a Communion for a school before - local school are looking for a photographer for this years communion because usual guy cant make it.

On speaking to the Principal she tells me that - the current photographer takes the Portraits on the Day of the communion in the school hall and then supplys the prints to the kids - the Parents then pay if the like the prints and return if they dont.

Now there are major negatives in Supplying a Customer the print before getting payment - one is that you will never see any cash ! - never mind prints being scanned, etc

Is this the norm, supplying the prints without payment/deposit - anyone had any experience of such with schools.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I wouldn't supply prints before being paid personally. They're paying for the shoot inclusive, not just the print. They either want it done or not.

Imagine being asked to shoot some family portraits, and spending hours processing them, only to be told "sorry, we don't want them now, thanks anyway"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Theres 3 ways it can be done, the way you mentioned which is the older way, by preorder, i.e. the school send hom details you have supplied them with along with an enveope, outer containing name and class of child and package options and prices, the parent who wants one will fill it in and pay in advance, the 3rd way is passport style sample sent home after shoot with envelope for payment.

I think the 3rd way is best, option 1 you have more costs, option 2 you dont get the guilt sales (as bad as that sounds) but option 3, you take all the kids pics, you have minimal cost with passport size samples and you get the extras who might not have ordered in advance but fall inlove with the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

showit wrote: »
    local school are looking for a photographer for this years communion because usual guy cant make it.

On speaking to the Principal she tells me that - the current photographer takes the Portraits on the Day of the communion in the school hall and then supplys the prints to the kids - the Parents then pay if the like the prints and return if they dont.

With terms and conditions like that, it sounds to me like the usual guy can't make it cos he's been stung before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the only way to make any money in that situation is to ask the school to pay a fee to cover your basic expenses and tell them you will offer 25% off the cost of the prints..... and will give them a large (12x8) group photo of all those who make their communion for the school to put up in its corridor.

This way the school "feels" they are getting a discount - they don't know what your original price for a print is !!....so 25% off an unknown quantity is not really a bargain.

you get someone from the school to organise a huge group pic (which most parents/kids will want as part of the discount "package deal")

Getting pics of the individual kids will take great/excellent organisational abilities.... maybe a flyer drop by the school to each of the kids involved to let the parents know there will be a professional photographer available and give a list of prices, give them options to pay up front or pay on the day ...or pay on receipt of images (more expensive option).... offer payment plans if required....if you have the facility get a simple website done up where you can display the images with options to sell prints.

its easy to do if you know how - my problem is I work in another area and always refuse these type of jobs because I feel like I'd be ripping them off (the public) ... because I try not to treat work as a job.....its more of a hobby that I get paid to do !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Either give them prints with obvious watermarks, or use a service like Zenfolio (which'll watermark the previews and do your whole ordering/checkout system) to sell the prints from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Pre-order is the best way to do it for yourself. Otherwise you're wasting your own time and money.

use a service like Zenfolio (which'll watermark the previews and do your whole ordering/checkout system) to sell the prints from.

I wouldn't go mad with the internet for things like this, to be honest. Strange as it may seem, a vast majority of people still haven't a clue about it and don't trust it.

I'd try to keep all my dealings with parents offline, but probably use mywebsite to display a small number of photos as samples, with contact information so they can order off you in person.

OP; I certainly wouldn't be going printing images out of my own pocket in the hope that maybe some people will buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

the 3rd way is passport style sample sent home after shoot with envelope for payment.

I think the 3rd way is best, option 1 you have more costs, option 2 you dont get the guilt sales (as bad as that sounds) but option 3, you take all the kids pics, you have minimal cost with passport size samples and you get the extras who might not have ordered in advance but fall inlove with the picture.

My son's school did this recently with school photos and would agree that the "passport" style is the best way - no pressure to buy and stopped all that copying that goes on.

Advertisement