Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble setting up VPN connection..

Options
  • 02-03-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm having some trouble setting up a VPN connection at home. I've setup Windows 7 to accept incoming connections.

I have forwarded port 1723 via my router to the VPN pc.

I'm using Ubuntu to connect and it has told me it has establised a connection. (more like it shows a padlock and didn't tell me it failed)

When in this state I don't have any connectivity to anything except I can access the router of the client internet connection.

What could be happening here? I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. Are there extra settings I need to alter?

This is my 3rd or 4th time trying to do this to no avail.. :( any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What VPN software are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Just Windows 7.. setting up a new network connection to receive incoming connections.

Probably not ideal but just wanted to see if it would work.

I tried to setup OpenVPN on Ubuntu but it's a little tricky..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

techguy wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I'm having some trouble setting up a VPN connection at home. I've setup Windows 7 to accept incoming connections.

I have forwarded port 1723 via my router to the VPN pc.

I'm using Ubuntu to connect and it has told me it has establised a connection. (more like it shows a padlock and didn't tell me it failed)

When in this state I don't have any connectivity to anything except I can access the router of the client internet connection.

What could be happening here? I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. Are there extra settings I need to alter?

This is my 3rd or 4th time trying to do this to no avail.. :( any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks..

So the windows 7 box is behind your Linksys and you have forwarded po 1723 to the Win7 IP?
    Have you enabled PPTP/VPN passthrough on the linksys?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I had this too I think it's more to do with routing after the VPN is established. Connect your VPN open a console and run ifconfig you should see an interface listed with an IP on your Win7 LAN if so it's the same issue I had and fixed it by tinkering with the default route option in the VPN setup on the Ubuntu machine

shakel wrote: »
    So the windows 7 box is behind your Linksys and you have forwarded po 1723 to the Win7 IP?
    Have you enabled PPTP/VPN passthrough on the linksys?

Yep, all passthroughs are enabled and Port 1723 is (UDP/TCP) is forwarded to the Win7 box.
    n0brain3r wrote: »
    I had this too I think it's more to do with routing after the VPN is established. Connect your VPN open a console and run ifconfig you should see an interface listed with an IP on your Win7 LAN if so it's the same issue I had and fixed it by tinkering with the default route option in the VPN setup on the Ubuntu machine

Ok, i'm gonna try that now. I'm assuming your taking about the routes button under the IPv4 settings tab. I'm not sure what settings to input but i'll do a little trial and error :D

Also, I just noticed on the Win7 box that it picked up the connection and asked me if it was home/public/office etc.. Maybe it won't allow connections until this has been set. Gonna try this first..

Thanks guys..

• Advertisement

Ok, so i've connected my Ubuntu box to to the Win7 via VPN.

I can't connect/ping any local services/machines over VPN yet though, all I can do is browse the web.

If I try and ping 192.168.1.123 I get a reply from 192.168.1.106 saying destination host unreachable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did you configure the win7 machine to act as a dhcp for incomming connections?

wat are you trying to give access to?

when i set up a vpn, i shared a few folders, gave permissions as needed.

when the vpn connected, i shared internet access and then map network drive to the shared folders.

Advertisement