Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest Pub in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

juma wrote: »
    So we have a pub in Roscommon which is possibly the oldest in Europe (as claimed by many experts) and yet the Dubs still try to claim that they have the oldest pub in Ireland! Typical Dublin arrogance :rolleyes:

Sean's is in Westmeath.
    Don't let those dirty rossies try claim that part of Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Oh right, I was confused by the fact that they list their address as Westmeath on their website.

ah right, maybe i'm wrong then, i thought everything that side of the shannon was Roscommon, who cares really :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

West of the Shannon is Roscommon. Fact!

Mark! wrote: »
    ah right, maybe i'm wrong then, i thought everything that side of the shannon was Roscommon, who cares really :pac:

I care! My home address is on that side of town, I don't want to be associated either those dirty rossies!

The Westmeath county boundary goes across the river as far as shines pub in baylough, ganleys hardware on the common road and about halfway out to Clonoon (spelled way wrong) out the bog road.

If you ever played a football match against St. Peters FC you'd see where the boundry is because halfway out the road from the railway bridge the road becomes unpaved where Westmeath C.C. Stopped and roscommon C.C. Never bothered to continue.

West of the Shannon is Roscommon. Fact!
    Well, you're just wrong.

my mum lives on the connacht side of town and when I lived there I was registered in Longford/Westmeath for elections. I voted in Westmeath in the locals. Westmeath C.C. Do all the works in the area and our address is Westmeath. As is the address of the 3 primary and secondary school around connacht street.
    As per my earlier post, the roscommon county boundry starts further across the river.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

oldest pub? who knows

Oldest website... definitely? The spirit of 1995 lives on!

benwavner wrote: »

Seaneh wrote: »
    I care! My home address is on that side of town, I don't want to be associated either those dirty rossies!

The Westmeath county boundary goes across the river as far as shines pub in baylough, ganleys hardware on the common road and about halfway out to Clonoon (spelled way wrong) out the bog road.

If you ever played a football match against St. Peters FC you'd see where the boundry is because halfway out the road from the railway bridge the road becomes unpaved where Westmeath C.C. Stopped and roscommon C.C. Never bothered to continue.

Ah right i get ya, i was in AIT so as far as i ever knew the other side of the Shannon was Roscommon, now i know.

We actually played against St. Peters B's only a couple weeks ago, i did notice the bad road alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Well, you're just wrong.

my mum lives on the connacht side of town and when I lived there I was registered in Longford/Westmeath for elections. I voted in Westmeath in the locals. Westmeath C.C. Do all the works in the area and our address is Westmeath. As is the address of the 3 primary and secondary school around connacht street.
    As per my earlier post, the roscommon county boundry starts further across the river.

Sorry Seaneh but i live in Offaly - my house is 5 miles from the Tipp border - i voted in the North Tipp constituancy and the Tipperary CoCo. come out to grit sometimes so it proves nothing!!:D

I live within 10 miles of the area. This was something that was discussed many times when I was in school. While in recent times (the last 100-200 years) postal addesses have recognised this area as Westmeath, prior to this the Shannon WAS the division between Connacht and Leinster, Roscommon and Westmeath. And who we to argue with 20,000 year old history.

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Sorry Seaneh but i live in Offaly - my house is 5 miles from the Tipp border - i voted in the North Tipp constituancy and the Tipperary CoCo. come out to grit sometimes so it proves nothing!!:D

Westmeath county boundry comes across the river, you can check any map, even google maps. The library beside the church was a Westmeath county library. The address of every house between the bridge and shines pub and ganleys hardware is Westmeath. I know this for fact, I'm from the area!

• Advertisement

MIRMIR82 wrote: »

Your location even says Tipperary :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Sean's Bar is not only the oldest pub in Ireland, but also its claimed to be the oldest pub in Europe
    the brazen head is the oldest pub in ireland dating back to 1175 so it's 900yrs old:eek:

the brazen head is the oldest pub in ireland dating back to 1175 so it's 900yrs old:eek:
    Since when is the 12th century earlier than the 10th century?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Mark! wrote: »
    Your location even says Tipperary :eek:
    Ya i'm from Tipp - reluctantly bought a house in Biffoland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭airman101

Sean's in athlone feels pretty old, do they still have the sawdust on the groung??? the cock tavern in gormanstown has the word OLDEST PUB IN IRELAND written in massive writing on the side of the building, wonder if that makes it true??????

airman101 wrote: »
    Sean's in athlone feels pretty old, do they still have the sawdust on the groung??? the cock tavern in gormanstown has the word OLDEST PUB IN IRELAND written in massive writing on the side of the building, wonder if that makes it true??????

I haven't been in there in about 4 or 5 months but they had the saw dust on the ground back then, it does add to that old feel of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Since when is the 12th century earlier than the 10th century?

He's a vampire, time can get a bit fuzzy when you don't age

Sean's Bar is not only the oldest pub in Ireland, but also its claimed to be the oldest pub in Europe
    no its not the brazen head in dublin is trading since 1175 iam a vampire and i used to pop in there for ye ol pint of ale in previous centuries an drain the blood from the necks of handsome young british soldiers and beautiful ladies toooo [sure i wasent fussey]:D:D:D

So we have a pub in Roscommon which is possibly the oldest in Europe (as claimed by many experts) and yet the Dubs still try to claim that they have the oldest pub in Ireland! Typical Dublin arrogance :rolleyes:
    stop talking sh1t it's the brazen head is the oldest go on ya feckin culchie ya go on outa dat get upppp the yard theres theres a smell a benjie:D:D:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Typical indeed, typical Oirish ****e here tbh, arguing over the oldest boozer?

• Advertisement

stop talking sh1t it's the brazen head is the oldest go on ya feckin culchie ya go on outa dat get upppp the yard theres theres a smell a benjie:D:D:eek::eek:

Well Sean's Bar have the record in the Guinness Book of Records so na na na na na :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

no its not the brazen head in dublin is trading since 1175 iam a vampire and i used to pop in there for ye ol pint of ale in previous centuries an drain the blood from the necks of handsome young british soldiers and beautiful ladies toooo [sure i wasent fussey]:D:D:D

Sean's Bar: 900
    Brazen Head: 1175

900 < 1175

Therefore
    Sean's Bar is older then the Brazen Head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't buy it.
    Who in their right mind would drink in athlone today, let alone 1100 years ago?
    Brazen head it is for me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

seans is far and away the oldest pub in
    ireland

now trying to prove whether its in roscommon or westmeath will be a tougher job, the hodson bay tries to claim its in westmeath too but its nowhere near

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ireland

now trying to prove whether its in roscommon or westmeath will be a tougher job, the hodson bay tries to claim its in westmeath too but its nowhere near

Yeah, the bay is a few miles inside common anyway.
    sure its closer to Kiltoom than town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Just looked at the county boundary on the ordinance survey maps and seans bar is well and truly in Westmeath.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ireland

Businesses like the Bay and Seans do this to attract tourists/customers. Since Athlone is a large town its better for Hodson Bay to be seen as in Athlone. Think about it, which looks better on an address, Kiltoom Co. Roscommon or Athlone Co. Westmeath? As said before addresses mean nothing. The Shannon is the true division between Connacht and Leinster.

Businesses like the Bay and Seans do this to attract tourists/customers. Since Athlone is a large town its better for Hodson Bay to be seen as in Athlone. Think about it, which looks better on an address, Kiltoom Co. Roscommon or Athlone Co. Westmeath? As said before addresses mean nothing. The Shannon is the true division between Connacht and Leinster.

Oh, Sean's is in Connacht, no denying that!
    But it's not in Roscommon!

OSI agree with me on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well if the dividing line between connacht and leinster is the shannon and we know none of westmeath is in connacht, how can seans be in westmeath??

• Advertisement

Oh, Sean's is in Connacht, no denying that!
    But it's not in Roscommon!

OSI agree with me on this one.

I have seen some daft comments on Boards down through the years but this one is in a completely different league!

Advertisement