Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest Pub in Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

rossie1977 wrote: »
    well if the dividing line between connacht and leinster is the shannon and we know none of westmeath is in connacht, how can seans be in westmeath??

Look at the OSI maps, the boundry of Westmeath goes across the rover, into connacht.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

juma wrote: »
    I have seen some daft comments on Boards down through the years but this one is in a completely different league!

I have seen some daft comments on Boards too, but in this case it is backed up by the OSI where you don't have anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭juma

Dermo wrote: »
    I have seen some daft comments on Boards too, but in this case it is backed up by the OSI where you don't have anything...

So does it actually say on the OSI that this area is in Connacht BUT not in Roscommon? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I do have serious doubts about the Brazen Head. Ok, maybe it has a licence since 1198 or so but I don't think it was at the same location.
    Consider the fact that Liffey was not that narrow as it is now, she was up to 200-300 meters broad at certain poins in today's city. So it's highly likely that the area where the Pub is was actually water.
    It really casts a shadow of doubt over Brazen Head's Claim.

So does it actually say on the OSI that this area is in Connacht BUT not in Roscommon? :eek:
    Yes because the OSI maps show the provincial boundry as being halfway across the river and the country boundry going across that and into connacht.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yes because the OSI maps show the provincial boundry as being halfway across the river and the country boundry going across that and into connacht.

Apologies so you calling your earlier comment daft! But you actually believe so that Westmeath is in Connacht (as well as Leinster)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

dubbie82 wrote: »
    I do have serious doubts about the Brazen Head. Ok, maybe it has a licence since 1198 or so but I don't think it was at the same location.
    Consider the fact that Liffey was not that narrow as it is now, she was up to 200-300 meters broad at certain poins in today's city. So it's highly likely that the area where the Pub is was actually water.
    It really casts a shadow of doubt over Brazen Head's Claim.

At this stage I think its safe to say that Sean's Bar is the oldest pub in Ireland. Maybe even in Europe. And that its in Connacht. The only thing no one seems to know is whether its in Westmeath or Roscommon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Westcommon or Rosmeath?

Apologies so you calling your earlier comment daft! But you actually believe so that Westmeath is in Connacht (as well as Leinster)?

a tiny part of Westmeath is, in fact, in connacht.
    It's not that hard to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

a tiny part of Westmeath is, in fact, in connacht.
    It's not that hard to understand.

I think as stated already in this thread that it had to do with postal purposes. Any address that uses Athlone will be identified a Co. Westmeath.

Why would you have one division for Leinster/Connacht and a different one for Westmeath/Roscommon? To me its seems straight forward, the Shannon separates all!

• Advertisement

danh789 wrote: »
    I think as stated already in this thread that it had to do with postal purposes. Any address that uses Athlone will be identified a Co. Westmeath.

Why would you have one division for Leinster/Connacht and a different one for Westmeath/Roscommon? To me its seems straight forward, the Shannon separates all!

Other has very little to do with postal reasons. If that was true why would half of baylough be Westmeath and the other half Roscommon? I mean, the house before shines bar, is Westmeath. The estate across the road and after are Roscommon. The county boundry crosses the river, but the provincial boundry doesn't. Even if Westmeath play Roscommon the houses as far as shines will have Westmeath colours out and the ones after will have Roscommon... When Westmeath won the minors in the 90's they visited all the primary schools around the connacht street area but didn't go to summerhill or bailenamullia (sp?). same when Roscommon won the minors a few years back they visited all the schools outside Athlone but not the ones around connacht street.
    If you live before shines you will play for Athlone GAA in the Westmeath and leinster championships, after it you will play for Clan Na Geal in the Roscommon and connacht championships.

I lived there for the second half of my school life, went to primary school in the Dean Kelly NS, secondary in Aloysius and we were always Westmeath. Aloysius even played in the connacht schools championship for GAA but were a Westmeath school.

its a rarity but it happens.

This is waaaaaaaaaaay OT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Morrisseys in Abbeyleix, Co. Laois is in the running for one of the oldest pubs in the state.

/wonders who gives a fcuk where roscommon actually is?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the cock in gormanstown is around since the 1390s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The oldest pub I know of is Kelly's Cellars in Bank Street in Belfast, first opened its doors in 1720.

Other has very little to do with postal reasons. If that was true why would half of baylough be Westmeath and the other half Roscommon? I mean, the house before shines bar, is Westmeath. The estate across the road and after are Roscommon. The county boundry crosses the river, but the provincial boundry doesn't. Even if Westmeath play Roscommon the houses as far as shines will have Westmeath colours out and the ones after will have Roscommon... When Westmeath won the minors in the 90's they visited all the primary schools around the connacht street area but didn't go to summerhill or bailenamullia (sp?). same when Roscommon won the minors a few years back they visited all the schools outside Athlone but not the ones around connacht street.
    If you live before shines you will play for Athlone GAA in the Westmeath and leinster championships, after it you will play for Clan Na Geal in the Roscommon and connacht championships.

I lived there for the second half of my school life, went to primary school in the Dean Kelly NS, secondary in Aloysius and we were always Westmeath. Aloysius even played in the connacht schools championship for GAA but were a Westmeath school.

its a rarity but it happens.

This is waaaaaaaaaaay OT

My point is that although this area may have become recognised as Westmeath in the last few Centuries; for 100's of years before this West of the Shannon was Roscommon, East of it was Westmeath.

Advertisement