Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Boat

• 03-03-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im looking to buy a cabin cruiser for fishing and the occasional trip to the UK. I know very little about boats so any advice is gratefully received! Any ideas on where to go to pick up a decent one? Looking to spend about 4-6 grand, Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a big difference between doing a bit of fishing and a trip to the UK for someone who knows very little about boats.
    To start off do a powerboat course. http://www.dmgsailsports.com/powerboating.php
    A VHF course.
    And a navigation course. http://www.vhf.ie/

If you do plan on doing long trips buy from a dealer that will give a good warranty with the boat and look for something with big fuel tanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

fergal.b wrote: »
    There is a big difference between doing a bit of fishing and a trip to the UK for someone who knows very little about boats.
    To start off do a powerboat course. http://www.dmgsailsports.com/powerboating.php
    A VHF course.
    And a navigation course. http://www.vhf.ie/

If you do plan on doing long trips buy from a dealer that will give a good warranty with the boat and look for something with big fuel tanks :D
    Thanks, I intend doint the powerboat course alright. I have spent plenty of time on boats, just never owned one or had charge of one. Thanks for the advice!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Ok a few more things to think about.
    Do you want to sleep on the boat or just get out of the weather.
    Have you a mooring or do you want to trailer the boat.
    Spend as much as you can on the engine the newer the better, boat are only worth the engine thats in them, it's cheep to fix a boat but not an engine.:eek:
    After last winter there will be a lot of frost damaged engines out there so if you can't buy one from a dealer bring a mechanic with you to look over the engine and do a compression test on it.
    It might be worth thinking about buying a smaller boat as a first boat and save up as much as you can for the cruiser for the UK trip. When you are out of sight of land and hitting some big waves you will want to be able to trust the boat and engine with you and your friends lives.
    I don't want to put you off it is a great experience doing the UK,Wales,and Isle of man trips but it can also put the heart crossways in you.:D
    Best of luck with your search.
    This looks good :)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1929856

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

+1, sound advice there from fergal.
    Another thing to remember is if you are getting a deal that seems too good to be true, it usually is.
    Take a step back and ask why the boat would be going so cheap, possible engine trouble from last winter etc.
    If you don't know engines, bring a mechanic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fats83

Hi Fergal/ Alan and Everyone else,

I have been boating 10 years on the shannon. The boat is a 17ft Cruiser 25 HP. Did two years also around Malahide. I loose confidence around Malahide whne the wind picks up or the weather turns rough around Malahide.

I am looking to trade up. I have been looking at a Maxum 1800MX 2007. They look great inside and out, but i am worried about the Fuel consumption and its ability on the sea? Has anyone experienced these types of boats in the sea, in bad weather?

Also, has anyone any advice what to loook for and avoid when looking at second hands? I see fergal said give it a compression test... how does one go about doing this, hire someone?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hi, the maxum's are well able for rough water but like any boat you are at the mercy of that water, with a 3lt engine they are not too bad on fuel depending on how hard you push it.
    After the last two winters a lot of boats got hit with heavy frost causing cracked blocks and pipes to boats that were not winterised, the engine can still start up and run but because the water is going out the exhaust you may not know if there is a problem, A compression test is easy to do you just take out a spark plug and screw in the tester and turn over the engine if all the cylinders are within 10% it's ok. The tester looks like this and can be got in any motor factors. If you can buy the boat from a dealer and try and get a warranty, it's a buyers market out there so push them for the best deal.

800507_lg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Hey fats83!!
    I presume it's got the 135hp 3l Mercruiser engine does it? Fuel consumption would depend alot on the sea conditions, a calm day and you'll sit perfectly on the plane but in choppy conditions you'll be up and down the whole time! I'd reckon at best she might do 6/7 mpg at cruise speed on the plane!! I don't know if you consider that good or bad!!
    When I was younger we used to have an 18ft bayliner capri bowrider which would be a fairly similar boat to the maxum and she used to get thrown around a nice bit in any sort of rough weather and that was only on lough derg not the sea so I'd imagine the sea would be alot worse! I think Fergal does his boating on the sea so he'll know more when he comes along! Do a quick google of maxum 1800mx reviews and there will be loads of people with opinions on the boat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fats83

Hi Alan & Fergal

Thank you both for the advice. Really appreciated.

Advertisement