Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger

Options
  • 03-03-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Ok, I've decided to try and get serious about getting the weight off. I've always been heavy since I was a kid and I was very heavy by the time I reached my early twenties. Since then I have battled with my weight using various diet plans and have always focused on diet more than exercise. I managed to lose a huge amount of weight (5 stone) on a specific diet plan a couple of years ago but put almost all of it on again within 8 or 9 months.
    This time, I'm going to focus on healthy/sensible diet on a meal to meal basis without anyway big strict plan and I'm not going to deprive myself of something if I really want it. I'm also going to take up exercise starting tomorrow after work.
    This time I'm going to do it!!!

My stats are:
    Height: 6' 0"
    Weight: 20st 3lb
    Waist: 40in

I'll add more measurements after a while to motivate myself.
    I'm going to try the couch to 5K plan for exercise. As I'm coming from a standing start with absolutely no exercise and a lot of weight, I may have to take this at a slower pace.
    I might also try and factor in a bit of cycling and hiking as I enjoyed these for the short time I was fit.

Any comments or advice are more than welcome.

Til tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Just wanna wish you the best of luck, its all about getting into a routine of eating the right thing 75/80% of the time rather than be really strict for a month and then scrapping altogether.

C25k comes recommended here a lot so that should get you moving, search for the home workouts thread too if you arent in a gym and will give you some ideas for other exercises you can be doing aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Best of luck dude, I was heavier then you back a couple of years back, best decision I ever made to drop the weight.

However watch yourself on the couch to 5k program, I did it when I was 18 stone and put a lot of pressure on my knees, maybe get checked out first.

Best of luck,

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Thanks for the replies!
    I finally made a start today. Ok, I had a poor start, had a healthy breakfast but a bad lunch, and chocolate later on. Came home from work, dilly dallied around for a couple of hours and was going nowhere until I logged on here again and read a few other logs and the replies.
    I finally took the bull by the horns and started the couch to 5k.

I was dreading it but it really wasn't all that bad, and I feel great after it.

Couch to 5K Week 1 Day 1
    5 min brisk walk
    Alternated 60 sec jog/90 sec walk for 20 mins.
    Finished with a moderate walk
    Total route 3miles/5K, Total time 45 min.

Not that fast but my jogging is slow enough. I'm sure I'll improve with time. I felt a bit of a burn/pain in my lungs 3/4 through the jogging but with deep breaths it eased out.
    I hope to be out again Saturday.

Friday 04 March

This is yesterdays log.
    I still haven't had success in sorting out my diet. Today's diet was pretty bad but tomorrow is another day.
    After my initial success getting through day 1 of the couch to 5K on Thursday, and because it was such a lovely evening, I decided to go for a cycle. Maybe I was pushing it a bit.
    I got through the cycle but it was very tough after a while. There are some gentle hills on the route and over half way through my legs felt like lead but I persisted and made it home.

Cycle distance: approx 7 miles.
    Cycle time: 1hr 30min
    The time was extremely slow I know but I'm glad to have finished it and felt good after.

Monday 07Mar2011

Ok, the diet wasn't good for the weekend again, and I haven't done any exercise since Friday.
    I've had a good start diet wise today. Tried Lifeforce Museli for the first time. Had that and a boiled egg for breakfast. I probably had too much museli though as I felt very full after it but it tasted alright.
    Having stuffed pork, veg and potatoes now for dinner.

Couch to 5K Week 1 Day 2
    5min Jog
    60sec jog/90sec walk alternating for 20 min.
    Finished off with moderate walk.
    Total distance 3 miles
    Total time 44min 35 sec.

The jog was tough going, slightly harder than last time. Got a burning/pain sensation in my lungs half way through but breathed through it. I think I ate too much for breakfast too and went out only an hour after it plus the weekend's excess didn't help. I almost quit back to a walk but managed to finish it and feel great after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement