Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motor Mover

• 03-03-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting a mover for my 2007 Hobby 540UK. It's a big single axle van so it can bit quite a handful dragging it about. We toured France last year and if it wasn't for the help of friendly campers I reckon I'd still be in hospital and the van would be wrecked !

So no more of that.

Is there any helpful advice out there ? Any other Hobby owners recommend a particular brand/seller ? I'd consider fitting myself so all advice gratefully received.

Thanks for reading
    MH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

I have the PowrTouch one on my caravan. I've never had a problem with it but anyone I've read about that has had a problem says that the service is excellent. The 5yr warranty is good to have in case there is a problem. Others with a good reputation are the Reich and the Truma. Shop around for the best price and read some of the UK caravan forums on fitting yourself.

I would definitely recommend getting one, they're great for starting a conversation when you arrive on site as everyone comes out for a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I've yet to find somewhere I couldnt reverse into, and only straightening by hand required, single axel especially are quite manouverable. So not convinced that movers are an essential product. Maybe if its parked at home somewhere with 2" at both sides to spare then necessary but havent found any parks to be that unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Betsy Og wrote: »
    I've yet to find somewhere I couldnt reverse into, and only straightening by hand required, single axel especially are quite manouverable. So not convinced that movers are an essential product. Maybe if its parked at home somewhere with 2" at both sides to spare then necessary but havent found any parks to be that unreasonable.

Reversing takes practice and use. I know whenever I try and reverse a car trailer if I haven't done it in a while I nearly always jack knife it. Yet once I've done it a few times I can put artic trailers where I want it.

Someone going on holidays doesn't need the stress of reversing when there's a perfectly good tool available

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Microheavy

Betsy Og wrote: »

I found plenty of sites in France where there wasn't room to turn never mind just getting into the space.

I've stayed on so many sites at this stage that are on a slope or very uneven ground and the hassle and stress of setting up is just too much hassle. I would consider myself a fairly handy reverser too but life's just too short to be man handling a 1.5 ton caravan !

db - Thanks for the info. I can't find a local Powrtouch dealer, can I ask where you got it ?I'm looking at the Royal Titan in Charles camping, might just get them to fit it.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Here's a list of UK suppliers/Manufacturers out there, perhaps some of their links may lead you to a local supplier here.
    There's a good review at of motormovers at: http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022907/movers-and-winches-mo.pdf website but it's members only. I you can't access it PM me and I'll email you a copy.

Motorised Caravan Movers
    Motor Glide, Motor Mover Plus - Motor Mover Ltd, Main Road, Mayfield, Ashbourne, Derbyshire,
    DE6 2LE
    Tel: 01335 345494
    www.motormover.com

Caravan Mover – Truma (UK) Ltd, Park Lane, Dove Valley Park, South Derbyshire, DE65 5BG
    Tel: 01283 586050
    www.trumauk.com

Powrwheel – Powrwheel Ltd, 6 Priory Industrial Park, Airspeed Road, Christchurch, Dorset,
    BH23 4HD
    Tel: 01425 283293
    www.powrwheel.com

Powrhitch – Powrwheel Ltd (as above)
    Powrtouch – Powrwheel Ltd (as above)
    Mr Shifta - Shifta Products, 103 Oakleys Road, Long Eaton, Notts, NG10 1FH
    Tel: 01159 731335
    www.shifta.com

Move Control – Reich UK, Unit 7, Miras Business Estate, Lower Keys, Hednesford, Staffs,
    WS12 2FS
    Tel: 01543 459243
    www.reich-web.com

Rhyno – Rhyno UK Ltd, Unit 14-, Hammond Business Centre, Hammond Close,
    Attleborough Industrial Estate, Nuneaton, CV11 6RY
    Tel: 02476 387080
    www.rhynomovers.com

Enduro – PurpleLine Ltd, 2 Lady Lane Industrial Estate, Hadleigh, Suffolk, IP7 6BQ
    Tel: 01473 824082
    www.purpleline.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Microheavy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting a mover for my 2007 Hobby 540UK. It's a big single axle van so it can bit quite a handful dragging it about. We toured France last year and if it wasn't for the help of friendly campers I reckon I'd still be in hospital and the van would be wrecked !

So no more of that.

Is there any helpful advice out there ? Any other Hobby owners recommend a particular brand/seller ? I'd consider fitting myself so all advice gratefully received.

Thanks for reading
    MH

Donal Buckley in Mallow , or DorVic caravans up north , would be well worth a call .

Guys, thanks a million for the replies.

Everybody seems to be saying powrtouch so I reckon I'll just have to find one.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

As Aidan says, Buckley's in Mallow do PowrTouch and Royal. PowrTouch have an engineer based in Munster I think in case you have any problems later.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Microheavy wrote: »
    I found plenty of sites in France where there wasn't room to turn never mind just getting into the space.

I've stayed on so many sites at this stage that are on a slope or very uneven ground and the hassle and stress of setting up is just too much hassle. I would consider myself a fairly handy reverser too but life's just too short to be man handling a 1.5 ton caravan !

db - Thanks for the info. I can't find a local Powrtouch dealer, can I ask where you got it ?I'm looking at the Royal Titan in Charles camping, might just get them to fit it.

Thanks again

Crazy Camping in New Ross stock Powrtouch they are cheaper than buying from the UK.:D

Thanks bido, I'll look into that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement