Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green AnPost boxes

Options
  • 03-03-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the square AnPost boxes that have sprang up recently are for?
    I got all excited when I thought a post box had been erected at the entrance to my estate, but then realised that there's no letter box in it :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

These are called drop box's.

The idea is instead of the postperson having to return to the local office for their 2nd or 3rd bag, a bag will be left in one of these box's for the postperson to pick up on their way around.

Thery work really well and assist in getting mail delivered that bit quicker. They are a god send for a postie who might normally have to cycle up to 2 miles back to office for a bag.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Check out LeoB's explanation in this thread
    An Post are stream lining there deliveries all over Ireland and as a result most mail for North County Dublin will come through their new office in Balbriggan. Already Balbriggan, Skerries Stamullen Ballyboughal and Naul are delivered from there. Later this year Rush, Lusk, Oldtown and Garristown are due to move in also. Donabate, Portrane and Malahide are done from a sorting office (Delivery Service Unit) near Woodies in Swords while Rolestown, Swords and River Valley are done from office on Rathbeale Rd.

These boxes are called "drop box's". The postperson can identify areas where he can have a bag of mail left in one of these as it is not practical to return to the office to pick up a second, third or fourth bag.

Postmen are picked up in the morning by a transporter and brought to Balbriggan where the mail is processed and then dropped where they start their delivery and work through to a finish picking up bags along the way. No parcels, packets or registered items will be in them.

EDIT - Leo beat me to it (by a matter of seconds - second time the Irish have hammered the English today:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LOL! Go Leo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Would love to see the German PackStations arrive...

3944697620_fb4da70997_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

That explains a whole lot!
    I thought I'd gone nuts recently when I saw a box at the entrance to our estate....thought I'd been driving past it for the last couple of years to go into Rush when I wanted to post stuff - I'm bad, but not that bad:D:D:D
    Then I noticed the other day that the cement around the bottom of the post looked new and there didn't appear to be a letter box in it..
    Good to know I'm not crazy after all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Iv seen just the one. It was erected at the top of Old Barrack lane and lasted all of.. hmm let's see.. a day? Yes, it lasted about a day before it was knocked out of the ground and still almost a week later, is laying on its side on the side of the road.

Beasty wrote: »
    Check out LeoB's explanation in this thread

EDIT - Leo beat me to it (by a matter of seconds - second time the Irish have hammered the English today:o)

We went easy on yis!! Imagine if we took Cricket more seriously!!
    Sure the only natural batsman in the English squad is from N.C.D (apart from the 3 south africans ye have);). Did ya hear that clown on Sky news last night I nearly kicked the T.V out into the street..........
    Iv seen just the one. It was erected at the top of Old Barrack lane and lasted all of.. hmm let's see.. a day? Yes, it lasted about a day before it was knocked out of the ground and still almost a week later, is laying on its side on the side of the road.

Will phone that in now. They usually try and place them a few foot back from the road but this time a few were badly placed and 2 were knocked down in first few days.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    LOL! Go Leo!!!

Dont mind that Beasty lad.... Trying to get me going.
    They claim the Mighty Magyars were the first team to beat them at soccer on home soil in 1954 with Puskas and Co, not so 1948 ~ Goodison Park Ireland 2 England 0 with another N.C.D man Con Martin from Rush playing:D And their best cyclist at last Olympics was he not born in Co. Clare??????

Beasty we do like you here so please keep on topic Thanks:D:D:D

H.B Id say you would have preferred to be in the hills last night blowing the froth off a few pints?

Post box reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

Just shows you. Reading boards.ie is an education in itself!

Advertisement