Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beady Eye

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Can the album be bought in Limerick anywhere lads? Hopefully Tesco sell it but wouldn't have my faith in them selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Can the album be bought in Limerick anywhere lads? Hopefully Tesco sell it but wouldn't have my faith in them selling it.

BUMP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Wow, what a brilliant new album beady eye delivered, really enjoyed my 4 listens to it so far :)
    My favourites from it so far (in no particular order)
    The World's not set in stone.
    Don't bother me.
    Flick of the Finger.

This album rocks.

Acoustic Gig from tonight, Liam sounds very good indeed. Only think the album is OK though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Got the deluxe edition in Golden Discs!

Just gotta wait for my vinyl copy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

the album is relatively alright, they were never going to stray from that genre of music so they will forever be compared to Oasis, NGHFB etc of which it's not even close in quality, I'd put it closer to some of Ocean Colour Scene's efforts. I just feel with Beady Eye they've 3 average songwriters and with Liam's voice being one dimensional they will not really go anywhere, they're all great musicians but are limited creatively. Their first album was better for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I think this effort is more consistent than the first one, but I'll reserve proper judgement until I hear it a few more times. I have to say that "Don't Brother Me" is actually a very good song, even though I cringed when I read about it earlier in the year in musical fact magazine NME.

I think this effort is more consistent than the first one, but I'll reserve proper judgement until I hear it a few more times. I have to say that "Don't Brother Me" is actually a very good song, even though I cringed when I read about it earlier in the year in musical fact magazine NME.
    a few songs on the first album jumped out at me a lot more than this, I'll give it another few listens but if it doesn't grow on me it will be consigned to my CD library forever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Great album! Was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think much of the two singles, but IMO they are the two weakest songs on it (although I do like the drums on Second Bite Of The Apple).

Production is fantastic, and while Liam's voice is pretty grating at times, he sings the second half of the album much softer. Standout is defo Don't Brother Me, the last 2 minutes of that track are amazing.

Much better than the first album. And a good summer record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Great album! Was pleasantly surprised. I didn't think much of the two singles, but IMO they are the two weakest songs on it (although I do like the drums on Second Bite Of The Apple).

Production is fantastic, and while Liam's voice is pretty grating at times, he sings the second half of the album much softer. Standout is defo Don't Brother Me, the last 2 minutes of that track are amazing.

Much better than the first album. And a good summer record.

Would have to disagree there I think Flick of the finger is one of the strongest. Listened it a few times today, think it's a step up from DGSS. The lyrics really let the band down at times though but I'll look out for the next record too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

The lyrics are ****e throughout, its like "what rhymes with 'shine'"?

But musically it is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I'm enjoying the album. I was a bit underwhelmed by it at first but it grew on me after a few listens. Good collection of songs without any killer songs besides Flick Of The Finger which is a belter. Why they left the bonus tracks of the album is beyond me. Off At The Next Exit is a superbly well written song in the vein of The Verve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Dotsey wrote: »
    the album is relatively alright, they were never going to stray from that genre of music so they will forever be compared to Oasis, NGHFB etc of which it's not even close in quality, I'd put it closer to some of Ocean Colour Scene's efforts. I just feel with Beady Eye they've 3 average songwriters and with Liam's voice being one dimensional they will not really go anywhere, they're all great musicians but are limited creatively. Their first album was better for me

Agree with everything you said except the last line. It's poor, but not THAT poor. I didn't like anything from the first album.

Andy Bell and Gem Archer are exceptional musicians, but they were never in big bands pre-Oasis because they are extremely average songwriters.

Liam is absolutely hopeless. Every song follows the same structure. Terrible lyrics, awful plodding melody, no actual chorus and way too many na na na's trying to fill the gaps. Embarrassing actually. Even they best recording studios in the world can't cover for his complete lack of songwriting talent. His voice is actually quite grating on the album too.. I think he's singing more naturally, but it's not working on a lot of the slower acoustic songs.

Ideally Oasis would get back together and leave all the writing to Noel, maybe the odd Gem or Andy song.

Noel's solo stuff is still excellent but nothing comes close to Oasis.

Its better than the first album. I really like the vibe, the kind of spacey-ness of it, and even some of the rockier songs are still kind of spacey. I keep singing "I'm Just Saying" in my head - it sounds a bit like Hello meets the Swamp Song! :-)

Vocally its not great in places - Second Bite Of The Apple being a particular low light. But he does get better, ironically I find he sings better on the softer songs, especially the three bonus songs on the deluxe CD.

The songs aren't that bad though - I mean, everyone is expecting it to be shi*te so they start to pick holes in everything. But the songs on Noel's album weren't perfect either - most of the time they were mid paced sludgy things with little spirit in them. At least BE has some interesting moments - its quite mature in that regard, whereas the first album was sort of like "embarrassing old mods making rock album" kind of thing.

Vocally though... what's to do done about Liam? He can't sing live, his voice just goes into that sort of half voice that he blares away with. He fared a little better on the acoustic session they did recently for Absolute radio, the version of Cry Baby Cry is pretty good. But its a shame he was "too rock n roll" to properly look after his voice, get singing lessons or at least lessons on how to maintain it. You get someone like Eddie Vedder who sings as hard but can pretty much still sing the same way 20 years later. There's no way Liam could do the rockier Oasis stuff now.

Just to update on my thoughts on the album. If you're willing to give this a chance (which a lot of people won't), it's a crackin' album. Something for everyone on it which not a lot of albums can claim. Also it's a real shame the last two bonus songs on the deluxe were left off the album because they two beautiful songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just gave the new album a listen, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I feel like Beady Eye were on the verge of something great with this, songs such as Flick of the Finger, Second Bite of the Apple and Start Anew are great untypical, un Oasis/Beatles influenced songs.Serrated guitars and portentous horns punctuate the track, suggesting a romp of a long-player. Dave Sitek's influence is all over that track. Soul Love is a very agreable ambient song, and Second Bite develops into a sonically enchanting skyward type of song, again showing the bands progression, theres a great chorus in that too. But Liam and co seemed afraid to go all the way with this one, and revert to type on Iz Rite which really grates and sounds too much like Morning Glory esque tune for what the goal of this album could have been. Face the Crow is another unnecessary nostalgia trip, that holds this album back. But when Liam lets Sitek put his influence on this album it becomes something transcendent. Most will hold up there noises at this, and I can understant that to a degree after the largely terrible and rushed Different Gear... album, while others just will despise Liam for whatever reason. But I truly believe this album comes close to being what Beadye Eye Could become, and I hope Sitek is kept on for the next album, and Liam and co go all in, for what could be a brilliant album. Ultimately BE is too up and down to be called great, but it is very good album with some standouts that deserve recognition. It's an experiment, that Liam chickened out in going all in, he admits himself that Dave tried "to conduct a musical experiment with it " when talking about Iz Rite, and Liam intervened said thats not what the fans want, " lets get back to the beatles on E side of it. 7/10, but could have been so much more.

Edit: Just heard Off at the Next Exit. FFS, how was this left off the album, this would be a standout... I should have got the deluxe version. Its not like Oasis where they had Noel had so many great songs in the bank that he could afford to make a song like The Masterplan a b side. This album needed that song, it would have made a great closer, oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Really enjoying the Japanese bonus tracks.

Evil Eye is excellent!

buyer95 wrote: »

Edit: Just heard Off at the Next Exit. FFS, how was this left off the album, this would be a standout... I should have got the deluxe version. Its not like Oasis where they had Noel had so many great songs in the bank that he could afford to make a song like The Masterplan a b side. This album needed that song, it would have made a great closer, oh well.

My first listen to Iz Rite, Soon Come Tomorrow and I'm Just Saying, I wasn't impressed. But they grew on me. I think there's something for everyone on the album. Pretty varied.

Face The Crowd is a punky, in your face, The Who type song. Great fun!

Check out Back After The Break aswell. Excellent song.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think Liam is sounding a lot better now than he did on the last Oasis tour. There are clips of Beady Eye playing rock n roll star and morning glory on youtube which aren't half bad.

With regards to the album I think its ok. I like Flick of the Finger and Soul Love and I'm just saying. Its not mind blowing though, and its not a patch on any of Oasis's or Noels stuff imo.

Agree with everything you said except the last line. It's poor, but not THAT poor. I didn't like anything from the first album.

Andy Bell and Gem Archer are exceptional musicians, but they were never in big bands pre-Oasis because they are extremely average songwriters.

Liam is absolutely hopeless. Every song follows the same structure. Terrible lyrics, awful plodding melody, no actual chorus and way too many na na na's trying to fill the gaps. Embarrassing actually. Even they best recording studios in the world can't cover for his complete lack of songwriting talent. His voice is actually quite grating on the album too.. I think he's singing more naturally, but it's not working on a lot of the slower acoustic songs.

Ideally Oasis would get back together and leave all the writing to Noel, maybe the odd Gem or Andy song.

Noel's solo stuff is still excellent but nothing comes close to Oasis.
    I liked The Roller and Three Ring Circus from the first album.

Musically you can't fault Gem, Andy and Sharrock but the quality of their original material is letting them down. Lyrics are terrible. Listening to their interviews Liam and Andy seem to resent the fact that Noel ran Oasis and "limited" them creatively but on this evidence and DGSS and what they produced on the last 3 Oasis albums in particularly Dig Out Your Soul Noel probably gave them too much rather than not enough. Turn Up the Sun and Born on a Different Cloud are all they really contributed to Oasis.
    Noel had and still has songs in the bank from Oasis so in hindsight they (Liam and Andy) probably should have shut up and rode the bandwagon on Noels good work rather than getting big headed about their own songs

• Advertisement

I agree with the positive feelings that most of you have towards the album, except when it comes to Second Bite of the Apple. That is a truly woeful song. Yes, it sounds a bit cooler than The Roller, but lyrically it is down there with Little James. "Yes, you are not wrong, she wants to know what's in your pocket... tickle my feet with the enemy/NME"

I agree with the positive feelings that most of you have towards the album, except when it comes to Second Bite of the Apple. That is a truly woeful song. Yes, it sounds a bit cooler than The Roller, but lyrically it is down there with Little James. "Yes, you are not wrong, she wants to know what's in your pocket... tickle my feet with the enemy/NME"

The lyrics throughout are mindless... mostly they remind me of that Oasis song "I Believe In All", also by Liam, with lines like "there's a fire in the sky / I don't need no alibi" and "I will catch you when you fall"; just cliches really, things that rhyme.

The only decent lyrics are on Soon Come Tomorrow, which was written by Andy... Gem's songs seem to be the same variation of the same plodding kind of bluesy thing... Liam's melodies are good but he's got to work on the lyrics.

I hated SBOTA at first, purely due to the vocals, but I got used to it and quite like it now. The chorus is good, and the drums / sound is really good too, kind of cool and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What the hell were they doing on "The Voice"!?!?

niallo24 wrote: »
    What the hell were they doing on "The Voice"!?!?

I missed that. Were they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Will I Am looks a bit perplexed.

Absolute sell-outs! Absolutely cringeworthy to see that fúcking moron Will.I.Am bobbing his stupid, untalented head along to a guy who was in the most important band in Britain for 10-15 years. And as for your man from Ballinteer, don't get me started...

Absolute sell-outs! Absolutely cringeworthy to see that fúcking moron Will.I.Am bobbing his stupid, untalented head along to a guy who was in the most important band in Britain for 10-15 years. And as for your man from Ballinteer, don't get me started...
    True.

This is an attempt by Beady Eye to get into peoples living rooms, I don't like respectable musicians like Beady Eye, McCartney etc performing on these "talent" shows for what seems like four judges and a bunch of teenagers who probably dont even know who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Who cares? The album is flopping, the band are flopping. Liam is a has-been and can barely sing anymore.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Who cares? The album is flopping, the band are flopping. Liam is a has-been and can barely sing anymore.

Bow out with grace though!

• Advertisement

Mocha Joe wrote: »

How is it flopping? It went into the charts at number 2, and got (reasonably) OK reviews - 3/5 stars for the most part. 7/10 from NME. There's worse albums out there.

I don't know what people expect from Beady Eye - some kind of revelation? They are a rock band playing rock music - they aren't Foals, or Jagwar Ma or anything of these new guys - they are a group of 40 year old, 60s-music loving dudes, who record music. Why are people expecting Definitely Maybe again?

I am listening to BE more than I listened to Noel's album. Noel's album was just the same old thing, it was dull as dishwater in lots of places, and only cos he promo-ed the f**k out of it, it wouldn't have been much of a hit (but it was always going to sell copies).

Agree with the singing comment though - he's never taken care of his voice. Live, its appalling.

Advertisement