Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beady Eye

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

How is it flopping? It went into the charts at number 2, and got (reasonably) OK reviews - 3/5 stars for the most part. 7/10 from NME. There's worse albums out there.

I don't know what people expect from Beady Eye - some kind of revelation? They are a rock band playing rock music - they aren't Foals, or Jagwar Ma or anything of these new guys - they are a group of 40 year old, 60s-music loving dudes, who record music. Why are people expecting Definitely Maybe again?

I am listening to BE more than I listened to Noel's album. Noel's album was just the same old thing, it was dull as dishwater in lots of places, and only cos he promo-ed the f**k out of it, it wouldn't have been much of a hit (but it was always going to sell copies).

Agree with the singing comment though - he's never taken care of his voice. Live, its appalling.

Second Bite Of The Apple reached 112 in the charts. It's very hard to put much sway in a lot of reviews. Especially the NME who could never give it lower than a 7/10 because Liam does a lot of interviews and features for them and they still do a lot of Oasis stuff. They also need Liam to show up to their awards shows and stuff to hopefully say something controversial for a bit of publicity. Newspapers tend to try and get themselves on adverts for the album or on the actual album sleeve by giving 4 stats or whatever.

Noel's album was pretty boring and there's only a couple songs I'll ever listen to again but the high points blow anything Beady Eye have done out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Any idea of Irish concert dates? Really enjoying the album, especially with the extra tracks for the "Deluxe" version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Ah now lads, slagging of God will not be permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah now lads, slagging of God will not be permitted.

He's not God, he's a very naughty boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Second Bite Of The Apple reached 112 in the charts. It's very hard to put much sway in a lot of reviews. Especially the NME who could never give it lower than a 7/10 because Liam does a lot of interviews and features for them and they still do a lot of Oasis stuff. They also need Liam to show up to their awards shows and stuff to hopefully say something controversial for a bit of publicity. Newspapers tend to try and get themselves on adverts for the album or on the actual album sleeve by giving 4 stats or whatever.

Noel's album was pretty boring and there's only a couple songs I'll ever listen to again but the high points blow anything Beady Eye have done out of the water.

Just cos the single went to 112 doesn't mean the album's a flop. Noel's single "If I Had a Gun" went to number 95! They didn't exactly promo the single much. And the kind of people who are going to be buying Beady Eye are most likely going to wait till the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Just cos the single went to 112 doesn't mean the album's a flop. Noel's single "If I Had a Gun" went to number 95! They didn't exactly promo the single much. And the kind of people who are going to be buying Beady Eye are most likely going to wait till the album.

If I Had A Gun was the 3rd single from Noel's album. It's not fair to compare it to Beady Eye's lead single. The lead single comes before the album and is the one that has most interest and hype. 3rd singles from albums these days don't have much attention put on them. Noel's lead single got to 15 in the charts which isn't bad. Beady Eye have done quite a lot of promo for the album from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Not defending the song, but singles charts are pretty much irrelevant nowadays. 112 is shockingly bad though. That's like a few thousand copies or something??

To be fair, they've taken the two worst songs on the album and made a single out of them. The album went to #2, hence beating DGSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

To be fair, they've taken the two worst songs on the album and made a single out of them. The album went to #2, hence beating DGSS

Out of interest, what are your favourite songs on the album?

I think FOTF is one of the more interesting songs, but it just feels like it stops well short of its potential.. The horns on it are the most interesting part of the album for me.

• Advertisement

I like FOTF, Soul Love, Don't Brother Me (even if the lyrics are a bit naff, the outro is pretty cool) and Start Anew. There are other songs that I like, but I can't remember the names now. Partially because the album is relatively new, partially because maybe they aren't that great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's very derivative, I can't listen through without humming Beatles songs.

When's God releasing his new album?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

It's very derivative, I can't listen through without humming Beatles songs.

When's God releasing his new album?

I think he hasn't even got in the studio yet, so thats a while off unfortunately. H e was quoted recently saying something along the lines of that after promoting the **** out of the last album for the last year and a half he was taking a break. He had some great one liner about sitting on the couch thinking he had enough of his break, just getting up start working on some new stuff, then all of a sudden aka what a life comes on the radio, and he says " Fcuk it, I'm brilliant, I'll do this laziness for a while longer!" I can't find the article online but that was recently enough, so I'd say we'll be waiting.

I wouldn't mind Noel taking a bit of time off now, return in 2014. Don't get me wrong, I love him telling us how his wife hates him, and how he flukes all his lyrics, and he isn't bothered ever doing any of his "takes" for songs more than once because he's such a genius, but he has been absolutely everywhere for the last year and a bit. A bit of time off from something you love is never a bad thing!

As an aside, I really hope Primal Scream tour on their own, as in not a festival appearance. The new album is really, really good, and it deserves a go in The Olympia or wherever

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Not defending the song, but singles charts are pretty much irrelevant nowadays. 112 is shockingly bad though. That's like a few thousand copies or something??

That's probably true, but they didn't really advertise the single. Most of Beady Eye's target market aren't going to downloading singles onto their phones - which is how most singles are bought (by teenagers) - they would wait for the album, which they did. What'll be interesting is seeing where the album is in the second week charts.

Edit - down to 17. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 soundsofgeisha

Really like The World's Not Set In Stone - one of the bonus tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

According to a tweet from a hotpress journo they are playing the Olympia on November 7th, tickets on sale this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

niallo24 wrote: »
    According to a tweet from a hotpress journo they are playing the Olympia on November 7th, tickets on sale this Friday.

Confirmed by ticketmaster on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Get Well Soon Gem.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/0806/466597-beady-eye-guitarist-suffers-serious-head-injury/

Gem Archer has been hospitalised after sustaining a serious head injury last Thursday, August 1.

The 46-year-old musician is in a "stable condition" but will stay in hospital under observation until further notice following an accident last week.

A statement on the band's website reads: "Following an accident on the evening of Thursday August 1st, Beady Eye guitarist Gem Archer was hospitalised with severe head trauma.

''He is currently in a stable condition but continues to stay in hospital under observation. As previously reported, shows this week in Belgium and Japan have been cancelled.

''His family, friends and band mates thank everyone who have sent messages of support and well wishes so far and hope to see him back on his feet soon. An update on his condition will follow.''

Beady Eye pulled out of their gig yesterday at the Lokerse Festival in Belgium yesterday (August 7) and won't play at Summer Sonic in Tokyo, Japan, this Saturday (August 10) either.

The rocker's wife Lou wrote on Twitter over the weekend: ''Thanks for all your support and well wishes during this awful time. I know he will appreciate it. Hopefully he'll be back on his feet soon.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Wonder what happened there. A flippant remark re Liams love life perhaps

Advertisement