Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beady Eye

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

They nicely ripped apart Thom Yorke the other week. It's not the Irish Times of music mags but it isn't the Daily Mail either.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=146&title=radiohead_s_king_of_limbs_ever_get_the_f&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Yeah, I read that piece. Nicely ripped? I think he would have done more damage with a butter knife. His quote 'that glitchy laptop beats give you a moral high ground over people with guitars' is the one that reveals his true intention behind the piece I think. He spends an age pissing and moaning about (one or two valid points about the honesty box thing and the like but framed so badly within his heavy handed article) to get to the parting shot - You think you're better than me because you make music I'm not willing to listen to or understand!

And how can you not say that it's the Daily Mail of music papers when it basically accuses Radiohead of breaking the internet so that no other band can make money out of it?
    I couldn't possibly comment on Glastonbury but if Liam and Noel agree it's caic then there is nothing more to be said!

You're right. We should cancel the fooker!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yeah, I read that piece. Nicely ripped? I think he would have done more damage with a butter knife. His quote 'that glitchy laptop beats give you a moral high ground over people with guitars' is the one that reveals his true intention behind the piece I think. He spends an age pissing and moaning about (one or two valid points about the honesty box thing and the like but framed so badly within his heavy handed article) to get to the parting shot - You think you're better than me because you make music I'm not willing to listen to or understand!

And how can you not say that it's the Daily Mail of music papers when it basically accuses Radiohead of breaking the internet so that no other band can make money out of it?

Come on lads leave the radiohead out of this thread they have their own. Anyway back to what liam said about glasto. I agree the festival is going to the ****ing dogs with some disgraceful headline acts over the past few years. I respect Jay Z but the day he headlined glasto was the day it became to much main stream and a part of pop - culture.
    i found it funny what liam said about the celebs in their wellingtons prancing around the festival trying to find a camera to show how cool they are and down with the kids they are, its ****ing pathetic.

anyway beady eye saturday this year at oxegen im looking forward to it.

ricero wrote: »
    Come on lads leave the radiohead out of this thread they have their own. Anyway back to what liam said about glasto. I agree the festival is going to the ****ing dogs with some disgraceful headline acts over the past few years. I respect Jay Z but the day he headlines glasto was the day it became to much main stream and a part of pop - culture.

Yes, you're right. Only white people with electric guitars should headline Glastonbury. Bloody black people and their music shouldn't be let near that field in England.
    i find it funny what liam said about the celebs in their wellingtons prancing around the festival trying to find a camera to show how cool they are and down with the kids they are, its ****ing pathetic.

A culture that they helped to perpetuate when in Oasis by marrying the likes of fecking Patsy Kensit and Meg Matthews and hanging out with the likes of Johnny Depp and Kate Moss. They only reason he's mouthing off about it this year is because he wasn't invited to play it…
    anyway beady eye saturday this year at oxegen im looking forward to it.

Which is headlined by Beyonce isn't it?

Yes, you're right. Only white people with electric guitars should headline Glastonbury. Bloody black people and their music shouldn't be let near that field in England.

so im a racist now because of my comments made about Jay Z thank you very much.

A culture that they helped to perpetuate when in Oasis by marrying the likes of fecking Patsy Kensit and Meg Matthews and hanging out with the likes of Johnny Depp and Kate Moss. They only reason he's mouthing off about it this year is because he wasn't invited to play it…

So the only married them because they were famous thats good to know you must know them very well. i would be very surprised if beady eye were not asked to this years festival.

Which is headlined by Beyonce isn't it?

yes Beyonce is playing on the Sunday night before Coldplay and i am going on the saturday to see miles kane, beady eye, arctic monkeys and foo fighters.

although im tempted to see Brother on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

yes Beyonce is playing on the Sunday night before Coldplay and i am going on the saturday to see miles kane, beady eye, arctic monkeys and foo fighters.

although im tempted to see Brother on sunday

Liam Gallagher incidentally hates Brother also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-12596056

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Radical jump there, bizarrely insinuating another poster is racist :confused:

Fairly common criticism, Glastonbury were seen by many as compromising their integrity by adding pop chart Jay-Z that year. THE NAZIS! :rolleyes:

Your sterling off-topic contributions continue in this thread unabated I see, good stuff

nm wrote: »
    Radical jump there, bizarrely insinuating another poster is racist :confused:

Fairly common criticism, Glastonbury were seen by many as compromising their integrity by adding pop chart Jay-Z that year. THE NAZIS! :rolleyes:

Your sterling off-topic contributions continue in this thread unabated I see, good stuff

Why thank you kindly but I wasn't trying to infer that ricero was racist but the idea that Noel Gallagher has highlighted hip hop as 'wrong' for Glastonbury is thinly vieled racism imo.

In fairness, while he might be successful do you really view JayZ as just chart R'n'B. If we use that criteria for JayZ should we then call Oasis chart pop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

smokedeels wrote: »
    They didn't, that's already been debated in the TKOL's thread over in the Alt/Indie forum so I won't rehash my comments here, but they really didn't, it was an aimless rant by a writer who feels threatened when he doesn't get something.

Well I'm banned from that forum for liking The Bends and Pablo Honey so I'll have to reply here. Claiming somebody doesn't get an album is purely pretentious waffle. The album is crap, let's be honest. I've all the Radiohead albums on CD (bar the last two) and I've seen them live before and I can admit it's a giant pile of crap. I'd honestly rather listen to MCR than King of Limbs. Such a shame that Yorke doesn't have the balls to write another Bends or OK Computer. *cue the "being in a band is about re-inventing yourself" malarky*

niallo24 wrote: »
    Liam Gallagher incidentally hates Brother also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-12596056

That's nice to know but I like them. Tally - ho good sir :rolleyes:

An excellent quote you picked up on. Too true as well. The article isn't perfect but it does make a lot of good points. I've heard many of the Kid A brigade claiming that the author has never listened to King of Limbs and I don't buy it.

Did either God or Liam ask for it to be cancelled? Or did they just say it was crap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Well I'm banned from that forum for liking The Bends and Pablo Honey so I'll have to reply here. Claiming somebody doesn't get an album is purely pretentious waffle. The album is crap, let's be honest. I've all the Radiohead albums on CD (bar the last two) and I've seen them live before and I can admit it's a giant pile of crap. I'd honestly rather listen to MCR than King of Limbs. Such a shame that Yorke doesn't have the balls to write another Bends or OK Computer. *cue the "being in a band is about re-inventing yourself" malarky*

Ha ha ha you got banned from that forum aswell?? I said King of Limbs was ****e and was banned for 3 months, its pathetic.

And yes I agree that album is beyond dire, and this is coming from a long time Radiohead fan. Disappeared up their own holes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

nm wrote: »
    Ha ha ha you got banned from that forum aswell?? I said King of Limbs was ****e and was banned for 3 months, its pathetic.

And yes I agree that album is beyond dire, and this is coming from a long time Radiohead fan. Disappeared up their own holes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

I got a warning for calling the album ****e in that thread they really are a group of Nazis them radiohead fans over there. I'm a big radiohead fan but the new album is utter ****e and I don't know why anyone would wana see that ****e live. Anyway back to the title of this thread. Anyone going to see beady eye at oxegen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I don't get some bands, in that they don't play the style of music I enjoy. I'm not suggesting that Radiohead's current output is beyond anyone (you or the reviewer) I am pointing out that what you want from music hasn't been in Radiohead's cannon for over a decade, so why have a go at them?

The NME's reviewers beef on the other hand is that a large number of his target audience has shifted from bands like Oasis to musicians like Four Tet and he doesn't like not being with the in-crowd (as he sees it), so rather than dig around and hype younger bands that ape the sound he likes, he writes an article full of cheap pops at an established act.

If he's on your side why isn't using his column inches to plug bands that you will enjoy. He's wasting your time and mine.

I don't know why former Radiohead fans have such a dislike for them now, seriously, it's like they broke everyone's heart with Kid A and you're acting out the role of a jilted lovers.

smokedeels wrote: »
    I don't get some bands, in that they don't play the style of music I enjoy. I'm not suggesting that Radiohead's current output is beyond anyone (you or the reviewer) I am pointing out that what you want from music hasn't been in Radiohead's cannon for over a decade, so why have a go at them?

The NME's reviewers beef on the other hand is that a large number of his target audience has shifted from bands like Oasis to musicians like Four Tet and he doesn't like not being with the in-crowd (as he sees it), so rather than dig around and hype younger bands that ape the sound he likes, he writes an article full of cheap pops at an established act.

If he's on your side why isn't using his column inches to plug bands that you will enjoy. He's wasting your time and mine.

I don't know why former Radiohead fans have such a dislike for them now, seriously, it's like they broke everyone's heart with Kid A and you're acting out the role of a jilted lovers.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You've invented a narrative in your head and then made points related to this made-up story. Radiohead's output since Kid A has been very good in patches but KOL is total crap. There are no two ways about it.

The idea that Yorke went through writers block during the Kid A sessions and now releases albums without notice so that the media can't criticise them says a lot about his self-belief. " I am not giving it to the press two months early so they can tear it to shreds and destroy it for people before they’ve even heard it." What a load of nonsense.

It is the job of music critics and journalists to give an opinion on pieces of music, which is exactly what he has done. As I said, that article isn't perfect (I don't really feel Radiohead owe anything to younger bands, for example) but it makes for an interesting read and reading it was definitely not a waste of my time.

I'm not sure if I'm being lumped into this "former Radiohead fans" category but I certainly wouldn't consider myself past liking Radiohead. One woeful album does not make a band crap (I do have copies of The Great Escape and Heathen Chemistry!). However, in saying that, former glories do not exempt any band from present criticisms. Radiohead fanboys simply cannot accept any form of criticism whatsoever it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If you're questioning about why you were banned on a forum, bring it up with the moderator who banned you.

If that fails and you still feel hard done by, then make a thread in 'Dispute Resolution' about it.

DON'T.. I repeat DON'T.. bring it up on thread here.. this is not the place for it!

This thread is one Reported Post away from being locked up.. it's a nightmare to follow, and now Radiohead are being brought into the mix! :confused:

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/56794

another go at noel. new album next year love it

http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye/56809

more good news on the 2nd album

LIam telling it how it should be Dylan is a old **** http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye/57040

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Dear old Liam will soon claim that he's a better songwriter than Bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Recipe for media attention…

• Pick a target
    • Call them something at odds with commonly held opinions
    • Use expletives

Temaz wrote: »
    Dear old Liam will soon claim that he's a better songwriter than Bob.
    ah come on everyone knows bobs a better songwriter but he's still a boring old **** with a terrible voice. I'd rather listen to beady eye then boring old bob the ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Bob Dylan is an absolute legend. LG can only dream of being as talented as him.
    ah come on everyone knows bobs a better songwriter but he's still a boring old **** with a terrible voice. I'd rather listen to beady eye then boring old bob the ****

If Liam called you a cúnt I bet you'd agree with him. Such a hilariously-big fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Dylan being dismissed by a pub band :D

Bob operates on a different level to these jokers in their current or previous band. Is it only NME which quotes Liam these days ?

Dylan is a pale shadow of his former self nowadays. Should have quit while he was ahead. Shame that.

Dylan is a pale shadow of his former self nowadays. Should have quit while he was ahead. Shame that.

true i think he was good before i think it was like in the 1960's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Are NME Liam Gallagher's publicist or is he a major stockholder? It seems every utterance he makes is posted to this.

All this is roughly in two months.

http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye

Are NME Liam Gallagher's publicist or is he a major stockholder? It seems every utterance he makes is posted to this.

All this is roughly in two months.

http://www.nme.com/news/beady-eye

it further proves my point that there to many boring bands and musicians out there so they have to keep plugging liams exciting news cause hes the last of a dieing bread of rock n roll stars.

to many puff bands out these days

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

it further proves my point that there to many boring bands and musicians out there so they have to keep plugging liams exciting news cause hes the last of a dieing bread of rock n roll stars.

to many puff bands out these days

I hardly call him calling bob dylan a cu*t, celebrating a fa cup win with johnny marr, or his various musings on Noel Gallagher or the Strokes exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

NME seems to be the only one paying any attention to whathisface and his band. Poor old chap and his awful opinions. :D

Advertisement