Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Live & O2 Mobile Broadband

• 03-03-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭

Ive been playing xbox live a lot at home but now Ive brought my xbox up to my home at college and the only internet connection we have is an o2 mobile broadband dongle, was just wondering if anybody has had experience with connecting to xbox live with o2 mobile broadband.

I have heard its certainly possible but Im not quite sure how to go about it, could anyone give a quick explanation for it please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

curry-muff wrote: »
    Ive been playing xbox live a lot at home but now Ive brought my xbox up to my home at college and the only internet connection we have is an o2 mobile broadband dongle, was just wondering if anybody has had experience with connecting to xbox live with o2 mobile broadband.

I have heard its certainly possible but Im not quite sure how to go about it, could anyone give a quick explanation for it please?

You can't plug dongle directly into Xbox you need to have a laptop, plug it in there and then with network cable connect your xbox to your laptop. If you share your internet connection you should then be able to use xbox live.

Some things to bear in mind...

latency is poor and you might get lagged quite a bit
    download limit.. dont be downloading any demos etc this will kill your download limit and o2 charge now.

If you google you will find more info on the proceedure above but it shouldnt take any longer than a few mins to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I have awful hassle trying to get this to work with windows 7 & Vista in the end i had to use a windows xp machine....could work for you but i couldnt figure it out

Quick answer this is what i did with xp:

Connect you mobile broadband
    Right click on the connection in control panel>network connections
    Choose internet connection sharing and share the mobile broadband with your wired network (the network cable should be going from laptop/pc to the xbox
    turn on xbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi, here's a guide that we often use to help customers with O2 Broadband connecting to Xbox Live, hope it helps! :)

To connect to Xbox LIVE using Windows ICS through your USB modem:

Before connecting any cables, turn off your cable or DSL modem, PC, and Xbox 360 console. (If you have an external modem, unplug it from its power source to turn it off.)
    Connect one end of your USB cable to the modem's USB port. Connect the other end to a USB port on your PC.
    Connect one end of your Ethernet cable to your PC's Ethernet port. Connect the other end to the Ethernet port on the back of your Xbox 360 console.
    Turn on your modem and your PC.
    From your PC, configure Windows ICS to share your Internet connection. To enable Windows ICS on your PC, follow the instructions for your operating system on http://support.microsoft.com/

Once you've configured ICS, make sure your PC can access the Internet. (If it can't connect to the Internet, refer to the help documentation for your operating system or visit Microsoft Help and Support.)
    Turn on your Xbox 360 console with no disc in the disc tray.
    If you've already used your Xbox 360 system for offline play, the Xbox Dashboard will open to the Xbox LIVE area. Select the Xbox LIVE banner. When you see the Xbox LIVE Marketplace you'll know you're connected to Xbox LIVE.

If this is the first time you've turned on your Xbox 360 console, see Create Your Gamer Profile to get started with both the Xbox 360 system and Xbox LIVE play.

If you're unable to connect to Xbox LIVE, the Xbox Dashboard provides an automatic network troubleshooter in the System area (under Network Settings) to help you connect.

Note
    Windows Media Connect users: In the rare event that your PC and your Xbox 360 console are connected to a router and your PC is using a Windows ICS connection to a third device, Windows Media Connect (WMC) may not function.
    WMC depends on the Xbox 360 console's UPnP traffic. This traffic may be blocked by a PC in this configuration. If this occurs, either turn off ICS to unblock UPnP traffic or rearrange your network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I found that using the O2 dongle (in Limerick) for Xbox live was fine for the likes of synching with scoreboards, lap-times for racing games, but for actually playing online (FIFA, CoD, etc) it was far, far too slow. I could have very few lag-free games (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Yeah Im aware it probably wouldn't be the best for playing on but Id like to use it for downloading the updates, thanks Sheena, Ill give it a bash when I head back up to Letterkenny on Monday ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement