Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to handle moving from one place to another?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Myself and my fiancee rented an apartment last Feb - it was the first time either of us had lived away from home. When our year's lease had expired, we convinced our landlady to let it roll on so we would just need to give her 4 weeks notice when we intended to leave.

We have started to get itchy feet and have seen a few places we like the look of but have yet to view them. We are reluctant to give our notice that we intend to move out until we know that we will get somewhere but most of the places we like are available immediately and we don't know if they'll be available in 4 weeks.

When other people are moving from a rolling agreement, do they rent their new place before leaving their old one, i.e. paying double rent for one month + 1 month's deposit on the new place?

I assume the best time to give notice is on the day we pay our rent?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Legend_DIT wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Myself and my fiancee rented an apartment last Feb - it was the first time either of us had lived away from home. When our year's lease had expired, we convinced our landlady to let it roll on so we would just need to give her 4 weeks notice when we intended to leave.

We have started to get itchy feet and have seen a few places we like the look of but have yet to view them. We are reluctant to give our notice that we intend to move out until we know that we will get somewhere but most of the places we like are available immediately and we don't know if they'll be available in 4 weeks.

When other people are moving from a rolling agreement, do they rent their new place before leaving their old one, i.e. paying double rent for one month + 1 month's deposit on the new place?

Thanks in advance!

It is a question of procedure!

Find a place first. Most landlords will understand that you need to give notice where you are.

Tell the landlord when you intend to move in; here we gave six weeks notice and that was fine as there was maintenance work needed on the house.

We paid the deposit then as assurance of our firm intention but paid no rent until we arrived ie moved in.

Easy enough to work out the sum re your notice; if you give notice the week after you pay the rent, simply then pay three weeks the last time.

is that a help?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If you show interest in another place, go view it, speak to the agent and you'll find that they are often willing to give you 2 weeks grace and in some cases even a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Legend_DIT wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

It is an awkward one alright.
    The way I look at it is I would rather pay two accomodations for a short period than have no accomodation at all.
    But in saying that, any reasonable landlord should let you see out your notice in your current accomodation and appreciate that you follow normal guidelines.
    If they want a quick buck let them f*ck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potenitally talk to your current landlord, say that you are considering moving becuase of XYZ, but that you haven't lined up somewhere just yet, but you would like to give notice and what arrangement can be made. Its quite possible the situation may suit him.

Make sure that you give the notice in writing and that the notice is sufficient - I think you need to give 32-35 days based on how long you have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm the fiancée from above...

we're giving our landlord notice tomorrow - we have agreed a 4 week notice period with her so we will be moving out on 1st April. Our rent is due on the 17th of the month - I take it this month we only have to pay 2 weeks rent? As we have already paid our rent up to 17th March so we just have to pay for the extra 2 weeks we're here?

Thanks for the responses guys, it's been very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Discuss it and put it in writing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Victor wrote: »
    Discuss it and put it in writing. :)

Just curious, when you say put it in writing, do you mean (and I'm asking about notice letter also) get them to sign a copy of the letter also? I'm always unsure how a registered letter proves what was in the letter other than that you wrote to them?

I'm in a similar situation. trying to ensure I have a roof over my head. Actually only moving next door !!! but its still very awkward for work and social purposes if I have no fixed abode. But also keen to avoid double rents. Have a promise of a house with a CONSTANTLY floating move-in date. Not happy with that, as it only benefits them, not me or my current landlord. I want something that minimises costs for all 3 parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im in the same situation. I have to give a month's notice to move out. And I have to get out of here. But there's not alot available unless you move in immediately.
    Im thinking of giving the notice, and hopefully find a place in 2 or 3 weeks. And spend the last week moving things. Its alot of hassle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

I was in the same situation. I have started looking before giving a notice.
    I saw very nice place but landlord didn’t want to wait for a month. I didn’t accepted and apartment was gone within few days.

So I gave a notice and asked my landlady would she accept that I stay a few weeks longer in case I don’t find anything within 4 weeks. And she agreed. She is very nice lady, so it really depends, but no harm if you ask.

While looking most of the landlords would accept 2 weeks, but some of them wouldn’t. It all depends on the person again.
    I found an apartment today, I’ll move in a week before, but it is ok. It is not as nice as the first one I saw.
    I am just tired of looking.

You should keep looking, see as much as you can and ask for reduction always.

Advertisement