Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Hadji Diouf

• 03-03-2011 2:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

The man has no interest in football.

His sole purpose on any team (apart from Senegal) is to stir the shít.

No wonder Blackburn loaned him out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Great character. Football needs more characters. He plays the villian extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Pauleta wrote: »
    Great character. Football needs more characters. He plays the villian extremely well.

Christ, if he can make Neil Lennon and Scott brown look like the good guys then he's playing it a little too well for my liking! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

He does like to stir **** alot. Gotta like him for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

He plays the villian extremely well.

He 'll never be able to say that about his football "skills".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

He's a tinker. Plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

He is the villian, spitting at the Celtic fans and into the face of Arjan de Zeuww was a disgrace. He's actually the only Liverpool no. 9 ever to go a full season without scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I only saw the edited highlights on SSN tonight, but as much as i dislike Diouf, Lennon appeared every bit as bad if not worse than him tonight.

Degag wrote: »
    I only saw the edited highlights on SSN tonight, but as much as i dislike Diouf, Lennon appeared every bit as bad if not worse than him tonight.

Lennon was started on by McCoist both during the match and at the end. Id love to know what he said at the end though, to go from shaking his hand to almost ringing his neck so quick, must have been something pretty serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

He gave us something to talk about as it was a poor football match. Some great tackles tho.. Dont like the chap but players like that are needed for the drama:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Lennon was started on by McCoist both during the match and at the end. Id love to know what he said at the end though, to go from shaking his hand to almost ringing his neck so quick, must have been something pretty serious!

Ye it looked at first that Lennon was all smiles and i also think going on the reaction of bartley that Maliby must of said some nasty remarks to elhadj

• Advertisement

What game were you watching?

Lennon got himself involved with Diouf at the touchline, McCoist reacted at the same time as Diouf did but was held back by Smith.

I'd love to know what Lennon said at that point to be honest because it set the tone for the rest of the game.

Eirebear wrote: »

Lennon got himself involved with Diouf at the touchline, McCoist reacted at the same time as Diouf did but was held back by Smith.

I'd love to know what Lennon said at that point to be honest because it set the tone for the rest of the game.

To be honest, we're both lookin at it from our own sides, and probably won't ever have the same view on it!! That's the beauty of football! But we can both agree this, we'd love to know what was said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Why was Diouf near the Celtic bench? He said something to Izzy who was receiving treatment. That caused the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Diouf is nothing but a scumbag but to throw a bit of balance in i always thought lennon was a complete knacker himself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

You need people like him. You need people like him so you can point your f*ckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie.

rolexeve7.jpg

Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

major bill wrote: »
    Diouf is nothing but a scumbag but to throw a bit of balance in i always thought lennon was a complete knacker himself!!!

Any particular reason why?? Oh and why bring this into a thread about someone else???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Any particular reason why?? Oh and why bring this into a thread about someone else???

Just dont like the guy and his attitude of forever moaning. The reason i brought him in is because.. while diouf is an absolute scumbag lennon doesnt cover himself in any glory either and is prob just to blame for the scuffle.

god forbid anyone bad mounting celtics heroes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I hated Diouf for years but then he came to play for Rovers. At first I was not happy that he was here but the guy gives everything on the pitch. He is a bit of a sicko because he actually gees himself up off the opposing fans booing. He seems to revel in it. He is well known for playing pranks in the dressing room, its rumoured that Ryan Nelsen decked him once over some prank he pulled.

At the end of it though I really liked the guy, he gives everything on the pitch. Its disgraceful that he was loaned out, he was our best player this season. I don't watch Scottish football but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't doing a great job for Rangers and I'm not surprised he is in the middle of controversy as he thrives off of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I hated Diouf for years but then he came to play for Rovers. At first I was not happy that he was here but the guy gives everything on the pitch. He is a bit of a sicko because he actually gees himself up off the opposing fans booing. He seems to revel in it. He is well known for playing pranks in the dressing room, its rumoured that Ryan Nelsen decked him once over some prank he pulled.

At the end of it though I really liked the guy, he gives everything on the pitch. Its disgraceful that he was loaned out, he was our best player this season. I don't watch Scottish football but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't doing a great job for Rangers and I'm not surprised he is in the middle of controversy as he thrives off of it.
    Doing a decent job outside the OF games. Bar his first OF game when he had some good touches and was beating players with some nice dribbling movements, ever since he has just got involved far too much in the nonsense.

Diouf and Lennon in an old firm game is a great comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lapin wrote: »
    The man has no interest in football.

His sole purpose on any team (apart from Senegal) is to stir the shít.

No wonder Blackburn loaned him out.
    Fits in at Rangers pretty well so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quite apart from his behaviour, his scoring record at club level is atrocious

1998–1999 Sochaux 15 (0)
    1999–2000 Rennes 28 (1)
    2000–2002 Lens 54 (18)
    2002–2005 Liverpool 55 (3)
    2004–2005 → Bolton Wanderers (loan) 27 (9)
    2005–2008 Bolton Wanderers 88 (12)
    2008–2009 Sunderland 14 (0)
    2009– Blackburn Rovers 60 (4)
    2011– → Rangers (loan) 3 (1)

Apart from a reasonable return at Bolton it's hard to see what he brings to a team, even if he's largely used on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I actually think he's a very good footballer.

Also, those saying he's a ''scumbag'' etc, would want to do some research on the amount of money he donates to and the amount of work he does with charity organisations.

IMO he's the type of player that you really like if he plays with your club and hate if he's with the opposition, similar to Joey Barton.

Diouf's a flawed character without doubt, but after seeing what good work he does off the pitch I wouldn't call him a scumbag, and this is coming from someone who supports a club he has played for and left under bad circumstances.

Mister men wrote: »
    Fits in at Rangers pretty well so.

Care to tell me why that is?

Or are you just plainly typing the usual empty bull**** that youve read somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I really like him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

havent seen any incident from yesterday but the way scott brown was acting in the last game I would have punched him and I'm surprised Dioufy didnt tbh.

he gets a hard time when realistically he hasnt done to much in the last few years - i would love him to bang in a few against Celtic...

1224289181606_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

havent seen any incident from yesterday but the way scott brown was acting in the last game I would have punched him and I'm surprised Dioufy didnt tbh.

he gets a hard time when realistically he hasnt done to much in the last few years - i would love him to bang in a few against Celtic...

1224289181606_1.jpg

Tbf, would Brown have done that if Diouf wasn't public enemy number one after spitting at Celtic fans?

Personally, I think Diouf is a WUM. He always seems to be involved in every controversial incident somehow. As mentioned above, his scoring record is horrendous (albeit he is deployed on the wing fairly often). It is highly entertaining to see the pantomime villain get his comeuppance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Tbf, would Brown have done that if Diouf wasn't public enemy number one after spitting at Celtic fans?

Personally, I think Diouf is a WUM. He always seems to be involved in every controversial incident somehow. As mentioned above, his scoring record is horrendous (albeit he is deployed on the wing fairly often). It is highly entertaining to see the pantomime villain get his comeuppance.

spat at one celtic fan 7 years ago, i know it is disgraceful but he apologised....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I like Diouf like a red hot poker down the eye of me Mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

As they said last night he needs to just concentrate on his game, he's not a bad player, not as good as some people seem to be making him out to be though.

What was he at after the final whistle too, to get sent off and then go all the way to the Rangers supporters to give them his vest afaik, jog on will ya :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

I love to hate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

While I know it was for all the wrong reasons - that was still the best old firm game I've seen since the days of Larsson

There was an edge to it, the atmosphere was electric and as much as I don't like Diouf - he played a massive part in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Quite apart from his behaviour, his scoring record at club level is atrocious

1998–1999 Sochaux 15 (0)
    1999–2000 Rennes 28 (1)
    2000–2002 Lens 54 (18)
    2002–2005 Liverpool 55 (3)
    2004–2005 → Bolton Wanderers (loan) 27 (9)
    2005–2008 Bolton Wanderers 88 (12)
    2008–2009 Sunderland 14 (0)
    2009– Blackburn Rovers 60 (4)
    2011– → Rangers (loan) 3 (1)

Apart from a reasonable return at Bolton it's hard to see what he brings to a team, even if he's largely used on the wing.

Ah to be fair to him he's a good player. I'd like to see his assists stats, he often looks threatening on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Diouf will be public enemy No. 1 in Scotland, a role he will relish. He will get wound up by everyone. He is a scumbag though but its great seeing him get beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

If he played for my team I'd love him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

spat at one celtic fan 7 years ago, i know it is disgraceful but he apologised....

Yep, after he changed his plea to guilty, charged & fined. What a stand up guy for apologising :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Whatever about him, he will really spice up the SPL especially the Old Firm, not that it needs any spice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thing is though, behind all his drama and theatrics, he's not a very good player.

A mid to lower league Premier League time like Blackburn don't consider him good enough and for Rangers, he's just more trouble than he's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've taken more interest in the SPL since he joined than I did in the previous 5 or 6 years combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    You need people like him. You need people like him so you can point your f*ckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie.

rolexeve7.jpg

Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!

Theres no problem having a bit of a bad guy in the game. One that seems hell bent on coming across as an utter scumbag and waste fo air is not needed.

He's well beyond comedy panto villan.

Paully D wrote: »

Also, those saying he's a ''scumbag'' etc, would want to do some research on the amount of money he donates to and the amount of work he does with charity organisations..

The other players do that too, it's part and parcel of the game nowadays. The rest largley get by without the rest of the crap though.

How much does he have to donate to your favourite charity after he spits on you for you to like him again?
    Paully D wrote: »
    IMO he's the type of player that you really like if he plays with your club and hate if he's with the opposition, similar to Joey Barton.

I couldnt wait for Liverpool to get shot of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've taken more interest in the SPL since he joined than I did in the previous 5 or 6 years combined.

Not sure what that says about you tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Isn't that why he's up there, just to rile supporters. Scottish football is muck but the hatred between the 2 clubs is the attraction. The owners must love the controversy cos it means publicity and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Old firm with Diouf is 5x more appealing to your avergae footy fan who usually looks down their nose at SPL.

I think that your average footy fan then is only after controversy and then they moan that there is controversy and say the SPL is uncouth. the mind bogggles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Watching him play over the Old Firm games and he looked like the only Rangers player on the pitch with a real desire to beat Celtic, if Rangers had 11 players with that kind of drive and determination then they would be a completely different outfit, instead they have damp squibs such as Edu, Lafferty and increasingly Davis, Bougherra plus a few others.

Not sure what that says about you tbh

It says that I don't find a two team league particularly exciting. The SPL needs something to draw people to it and a bit of controversy will do that.

It says that I don't find a two team league particularly exciting. The SPL needs something to draw people to it and a bit of controversy will do that.

The only people the likes of Diouf draw in are thugs and voyeurs

It says that I don't find a two team league particularly exciting. t.

Says the guy who's moniker is that of a Barcelona player! ;)

The only people the likes of Diouf draw in are thugs and voyeurs

Ooooh I wonder which I am...

Come for the thuggery, stay for the football.

Says the guy who's moniker is that of a Barcelona player! ;)

You can like a player without supporting the team ;)

Advertisement