Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC with 5.1 surround has lost sound after installing a web cam and mike?

• 03-03-2011 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

hey
    as i hav said i have had 5.1 speakers on the computer and today i installed a web cam and a headset for skype. now when i play a you tube clip i cant get any sound outtta my speakers. what settings do i adjust or any suggestions....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It sounds like when you installed the Headset it became the Primary Device. Unplugging the Headset (and in general, restarting the program you want sound from) should fix the problem.

Generally, only one sound and one recording device can be active at any time. This is the case except in Windows 7. Even then, it's usually up to the program (eg. Skype, Windows Media Player) to set up a specific device as the output/input. By Default, programs always default to the default (primary) devices. This makes it possible to for example have skype come through your headset, but have your music come through your speakers. This may be unavailable in XP/Vista.

On your volume button in your task bar right click it and select Playback devices. Assuming you have Vista/7. Select the device you want as the primary "Default" audio (your speakers) and set it accordingly. If your Headset is the primary listening device and/or recording device the PC will automatically switch over to it whenever the headset is plugged in. In this way, unplugging the headset would (in 7) instantly transfers all audio to your 5.1 speakers. In Vista, you would have to restart the programs requiring sound, but when they restarted they would use the 5.1 speakers.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd940522%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

In fact in Windows 7 it would make more sense, probably, to set the speakers as your Default Device, and your Headset as your Default Communication Device. See the link above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

thanks for da reply....sorted...ur a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thats what they tell me

Advertisement