Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends in the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 girl111

hi, Im 20 yrs old female, looking for sb (either male or female) to talk, go out and stuff. Give me a shout if interested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

girl111 wrote: »
    hi, Im 20 yrs old female, looking for sb (either male or female) to talk, go out and stuff. Give me a shout if interested ;)

I hope this is a pun on stilb...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fonzy72

Hi there,

I am just wondering if there is any club or hobby I can pick up in the city for relatively little expense. I've been trying to save money for the past year (like everyone), and my other half works nights. As a result I feel a wee bit trapped and bored on my own. Most of my mates have moved away in recent months. Normally I would join a gym but they're just so expensive. I used to play camogie and basketball years ago and wouldn't mind doing so again, it's just that I don't want a real hardcore competitive team. I just need social interaction before I go stir crazy in the house. Any ideas? I'd even consider knitting/art/anything at this point!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dont know what an sb or stilb are. Guess Im gettin old :'(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

fonzy72 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am just wondering if there is any club or hobby I can pick up in the city for relatively little expense. I've been trying to save money for the past year (like everyone), and my other half works nights. As a result I feel a wee bit trapped and bored on my own. Most of my mates have moved away in recent months. Normally I would join a gym but they're just so expensive. I used to play camogie and basketball years ago and wouldn't mind doing so again, it's just that I don't want a real hardcore competitive team. I just need social interaction before I go stir crazy in the house. Any ideas? I'd even consider knitting/art/anything at this point!
    Thanks

I'd love to get involved in tag rugby or something along those lines. Again more the social aspect than anything else

• Advertisement

A stilb is a unit of luminescence for things that are not self-luminescent.
    So I guess the pun would be that girl111 is looking for someone to reflect how awesome she is / so that she can light up their life, etc. Something along those lines.
    I could do (with) a lass like that, I'm sure.
    Someone who abbreviates 'somebody' to 'sb' for no good reason though, one could do without.

Would you be okay with venturing into NUIG for some of their activities? I know many societies would welcome other people along to their weekly meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

starz12 wrote: »
    im new to boards.ie. Im in Galway, female mid 20s, please post/pm if there is a meet up

As many who post on this thread are new to Galway, I was thinking of doing a sort of tour of the city, if people are interested, as a meet and greet. It'd be mainly a history based thing, old buildings and eh other old stuff. So yeah, let me know if you like old stuff, and I'll point at it and tell you how old it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Actually not a bad idea there ladhrann, everyone could meet at those open top buses beside the tourist information office that do a tour of the city.
    Then afterwards head to a coffee shop/pub or whatever and hang out for the day/eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fonzy72

I'll give anything a go once re tag, albeit not too au fait with the game.

I thought you needed to be in nui to go to their stuff, never even considered it on that basis alone?

• Advertisement

Good idea. If nothing else it might provide some sort of focus so that one of these meet-ups actually happens. I'm in.

I doubt anyone will check. I know we have people from GMIT etc. who come to our meetings. Just don't die or anything, as I know there's probably some insurance bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

Anyone fancy meeting up to watch the irish game tomorrow nite??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

dont know much about the camogie or basketball teams , moycullen have team maybe for bball ??

Running is a cheap sport, city club GCH have organised fit for life sessions with hundreds on Mons and thurs each week in Westside, and some organised senior athletes sessions depends on level www.galwaycityharriers.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Join a choir. Volunteer for a charity. Get into Coderdojo .

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Irish patchwork society have their monthly get together tomorrow, on St. Mary's road. Great bunch of women, young and old. PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

What about something like fit for life those meet and run sessions that are organised. Lots of socialable people do it.

Volunteer work?

Ride a bike and get out with one of the local cycling clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 girl111

Ficheall wrote: »
    So I guess the pun would be that girl111 is looking for someone to reflect how awesome she is / so that she can light up their life, etc. Something along those lines.

no need to be ironical. And to ur knowledge writing " sb " i ment " somebody ". A little abbreviation, u know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Join a choir.

Church choirs are free to join. Others you need to pay subs for.

Arts and crafts things tend to be expensive - you have the cost of materials, plus venue costs for the meetings.

Book clubs - there's one with a thread here ... find one that doesn't mind if you haven't read "the" book. Or just visit the library - the city one is open 'til 8pm mid-week evenings.

Have you ever played an instrument? There are a few sessions around town that are open, buying one coffee or pint is enough to get you in for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

JustMary wrote: »

Book clubs - there's one with a thread here ... find one that doesn't mind if you haven't read "the" book.

That's us, we don't mind at all! Next meeting Tuesday 14th after 8.30pm in the Cottage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Dunno about the situation particular to Galway, but the Scouts (and by extension cubs, beavers and venturers) are always in need of willing volunteers....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ficheall wrote: »
    I could do (with) a lass like that, I'm sure.
    Someone who abbreviates 'somebody' to 'sb' for no good reason though, one could do without.

I know you are only having a laugh but poking fun at someone who is only coming to the thread to try and make friends isn't particularly nice

I've met a few nice people through this thread already and if anyone wants to go to the cinema, get a pint/coffee etc i'd definately like to make some more friends! Male 22, reply or drop me a message if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Should be plenty of Running Clubs in the city that are great for socializing.

deisedude wrote: »
    I know you are only having a laugh but poking fun at someone who is only coming to the thread to try and make friends isn't particularly nice

You're absolutely right. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jimstir

Hi guys/girls,
    I'm new to Galway too. Just moved here and I basically know very very few people. I'd be interested in meeting up if a few of yee are getting together to do anything. Im male, Irish, 36

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

ladhrann wrote: »
    As many who post on this thread are new to Galway, I was thinking of doing a sort of tour of the city, if people are interested, as a meet and greet. It'd be mainly a history based thing, old buildings and eh other old stuff. So yeah, let me know if you like old stuff, and I'll point at it and tell you how old it is.
    I like this idea and would be very interested.
    Anyone fancy meeting up to watch the irish game tomorrow nite??
    I could do that. Don't finish work till 6 though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 peter22

Sounds like a good idea, a meet up, im 28 and from galway, always looking to meet new people and widen my social circle so if anyone's interested in meeting up, Id be up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

i know exactly what u mean . i would love to do something that doesn't involve drink. i am a drinker but life shouldn't revolve around the pub.

How about we try to organise something concrete for next week? I'm 25 and definitely looking to widen my social circle and make new friends in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

i know exactly what u mean . i would love to do something that doesn't involve drink. i am a drinker but life shouldn't revolve around the pub.

Advertisement