Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends in the city

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dunno about Java's tonight, but I will be heading to the omniplex for the 9:10 showing of "a dangerous method" since it's only gonna be in the cinema for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 USEURILLUSION

Hi guys,im in my early 30's,single and just wondered if theres any activites/clubs anything other than just going to the pub on a sunday/evening in Galway....bored of sitting at home waitng for another week to start:mad:I'd rather be out there doing something and making new friends...any input greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is many things you can do, join a gym, join a music circle, join the book club (actually I don't think they do Sundays).
    Have a read through this thread, there'll be something for you here. Maybe others are looking for Sunday evening stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

aodh90 wrote: »
    Good session on in Tigh Ceoil on Shop Street every day and the Merry Fiddler. Also the Crane Bar in the west has a lot of trad on and there's a specifically student session on Tuesdays night. Do you play?

Merry Fiddler tends to be a paid gig, they may or may not appreciate you joining in.

If you're a bit rusty, the session in Murty Rabbits at 9:30 on on Thursdays is generally a bit slower and more welcoming to out-of-practise folks than Coilis or the Crane would be. The downside is that there can be a lot of people there sometimes. Which is cool if you want to chat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hi guys,im in my early 30's,single and just wondered if theres any activites/clubs anything other than just going to the pub on a sunday/evening in Galway....bored of sitting at home waitng for another week to start:mad:I'd rather be out there doing something and making new friends...any input greatly appreciated!

Galway Choral Association practises on Sunday nights - won't be looking for new members until September.

There used to be a film-society that showed movies in the Town Hall (not sure if it's still going).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 USEURILLUSION

I would be interested if i could sing!!!!
    As i work some week nights its not easy to take up a new hobby....thats mainly why im looking for something on a sunday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Bump.

Also, me and deisedude are meeting in Java's again on Thursday if anyone is interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ficheall wrote: »
    Time?

8:15

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

hey deisedude, are you heading to the Archer marathon in the Roisin tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nawak2000

Hi French people!

I am looking to hook up with some french people in Galway.

I am a 28 years old male working in Galway.

I like to go out and be active (well, somewhat :-p)

French people (any age, any gender), this is the place to reply!

See you soon! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

What happened with the yanks? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nawak2000

yanks still welcome !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

newkie wrote: »
    What happened with the yanks? :P

Maybe it's a case of "anyone but the Irish"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

celty wrote: »
    Maybe it's a case of "anyone but the Irish"! :D

He's joking OP. Everyone be nice.

If you've lived abroad you'd want to hang out with people from home too now and then. Luckily there are Irish pubs much worldwide (otherwise known as the embassy when abroad; yanks can call McDonalds the embasy)

FYI, there are several good expat forums you might consider to chat with others living abroad. Sometimes they are enough to deal with some of the challenges of living abroad like homesickness, finance, or just staying connected to other people from your country.

Just from google, some places you might contact:
    https://www.frenchinstitute.ie/
    http://www.afgalway.org/
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/french/

Mactard wrote: »
    hey deisedude, are you heading to the Archer marathon in the Roisin tonight?

Ya, i think i will. I'll send you a PM

What time is it on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

newkie wrote: »
    Luckily there are Irish pubs much worldwide (otherwise known as the embassy when abroad; yanks can call McDonalds the embasy)

Ooh harsh! Sure couldn't you say the same thing about anywhere that sells Coca Cola etc! Most Yanks I know in Galway have never stepped foot inside the Mc Ds here..now Burger King..that's another story..:p

Anyway, back on topic. OP, there is usually a great gang of French people in Rouge on Dominic St. It is run by a French couple, and some of their staff are French. Same owners as Java's on Abbeygate St, might be a good place to hang out. Both places V friendly and good value.

What time is it on at?

8pm-11:30pm

http://www.facebook.com/events/143466685771779/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

nawak2000 wrote: »
    Hi French people!

I am looking to hook up with some french people in Galway.

I am a 28 years old male working in Galway.

I like to go out and be active (well, somewhat :-p)

French people (any age, any gender), this is the place to reply!

See you soon! :-)

Voulez vous lookin ta couchez avec someone ce soir? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

nowai, can't believe I missed that.

Good?

Jim wrote: »
    nowai, can't believe I missed that.

Good?

Ya, Archer and alcohol, you can't go wrong! You're in the dangerzone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EwelinKa24

Hi,
    My name is Ewelina. I am 24, teacher of English (qualified from Poland and Birmingham), currently living in Moycullen. I would be happy to meet some people from Galway for a chat, drink or the cinema;) I am keen on sport (swimming, jogging, cycling, martial arts, rollerblading, tennis), travelling...I am interested in current affairs, the law, teaching and religions. I am energetic, open-minded, honest, relaible and thirsty for knowledge;) I like spending time with friends.
    If you are free sometimes and want to meet a chatty girl - feel free to phone/write me.
    Ewelina

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Google says "Best of the West: Short Film Award Winners From the Galway Film Fleadh" are on in the Omniplex at the moment. The Omniplex website disagrees. If I can confirm that it is showing then I think I will go see it on Tuesday at 21:15. If any of you lot would like to join me that might make it even more enjoyable than going on my own.

Deireann Google go bhfuil "Best of the West: Short Film Award Winners From the Galway Film Fleadh" ar siúl san Omniplex faoi láthair. Deireann suíomh idirlíne an Omniplex féin nach bhfuil. Más rud é go bhfuil sé ar siúl, ceapaim go rachfaidh mé ann Dé Máirt ag 21:15. Má tá éinne agaibh ag iarraidh teacht liom, tá seans ann go mbeidh sé níos taithneamhach fiú ná dul ann i m'aonar.

I'd be interested in knowing whether it's on or not. On a similar topic, do any boardsies go to the Little Cinema?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'd be interested in knowing whether it's on or not. On a similar topic, do any boardsies go to the Little Cinema?

No, but I'd be interested in both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

nice School of Life article on making friends... http://tinyurl.com/6w2lckd
    ;)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 18 morgi

hey, i haven't actually moved yet tbh, but im hoping to move to Galway Co. (dunno where yet) over the summer, so i thought there was no harm in making a few friends a little early, hi everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

hi morgi :D

dunno if any of ye recognise my name (i kind of post a little bit but not here - i just watch like a stalker in the bushes!)

I am looking for people to join a LARP group if anyone would be interested pm me!

also hoping to be joining some of ye for drinks or something when final year gets out of my life :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Living in Galway for the last couple of weeks and still haven't made any friends yet. Cinema or jogging would be a good start I suppose :)

Advertisement