Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESOL Vs. CELTA and Preparation for the course

Options
  • 03-03-2011 5:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

First off, yes i know there is a big massive TEFL thread but my post there was unfortunately only met with one reply hence the new thread. First I think I should explain my situation. Im 22, with no degree although I did 2 years of English at the university of limerick from 2007-2009.

Anyway, down to business. After much deliberation I have decided that I am willing to fork out the cash for a TEFL course as I think its a great way to save money for college while living abroad(which in turn gives me the opportunity to improve my German).

I am currently debating wheather to do a CELTA course in International house Dublin, or a TESOL in the Atlantic School of English and active leisure Cork. Normally I would instantaneously just pick the CELTA as its better recognized throughout the world but doing the course in Dublin is very much out of my way(I live in Tralee).

Originally I looked into the CELTA in UCC, but on further inspection it is open only to those with prior degree. Also just for peace of mind, If I were to successfully complete a CELTA course, my qualification is still valid right(albeit not by the irish department of education)?

My next question is thankfully a little more brief and I haven't seen it asked to death on here. Are there any grammar books, exercises or any other materials that I should look at which may help me through the course. If I do spend that much cash I wan to get an A or B pass if possible so id be looking to "nerd up" before I start.

Cheers to anyone who managed to read the long post. I appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Would you not be willing to go back to college, maybe change your major to education or something similar (although English is more than fine for a lot of places)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Would you not be willing to go back to college, maybe change your major to education or something similar (although English is more than fine for a lot of places)?
    Im more than willing. The idea is to use this as a stepping stone so I can actually get back to education.

My step one is to do my celta. Step two is to head to austria, work a bit as a teacher(all the while saving money), improve my german while im there, and then finally go back to college in September 2012.

Patricide wrote: »
    Im more than willing. The idea is to use this as a stepping stone so I can actually get back to education.

My step one is to do my celta. Step two is to head to austria, work a bit as a teacher(all the while saving money), improve my german while im there, and then finally go back to college in September 2012.

That's a decent enough plan. Would you be able to save much there? Austria is a beautiful country but do ELTs make much money there?

That's a decent enough plan. Would you be able to save much there? Austria is a beautiful country but do ELTs make much money there?
    Well I managed to save 2000 euro working part time minimum wage in Germany over a 10 month period. And that was making 7.50 an hour in a warehouse job. If I could get paid a tenner or so an hour id say it would be worth it. I would love to see the typical pay but im drawing a blank on tracking anyone down who has worked there as an ELT.

Perhaps try toytowngermany.com Lots of people interacting there and some teachers and jobs available too.

• Advertisement

Perhaps try toytowngermany.com Lots of people interacting there and some teachers and jobs available too.
    Thanks but that site is no good to me. It really only covers Germany, not Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Hi Particide,

I did the CELTA last year in Belfast, which may be another option for you, as it might work out a bit cheaper than Dublin, depending on the exchange rate. You're given a pre-course task to complete and the recommended books are Learning Teaching (Scrivener), How to Teach English (Harmer), Practical English Usage (Swan) and Grammar for English Language Teachers (Parrott). You should only need one teaching and one grammar book, but make sure to order them well in advance of the course, or you might end up like me...they arrived on week 4! There's also a book called The CELTA Course by Scott Thornbury, which might be useful.
    Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Particide,

I did the CELTA last year in Belfast, which may be another option for you, as it might work out a bit cheaper than Dublin, depending on the exchange rate. You're given a pre-course task to complete and the recommended books are Learning Teaching (Scrivener), How to Teach English (Harmer), Practical English Usage (Swan) and Grammar for English Language Teachers (Parrott). You should only need one teaching and one grammar book, but make sure to order them well in advance of the course, or you might end up like me...they arrived on week 4! There's also a book called The CELTA Course by Scott Thornbury, which might be useful.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    This helps me a load actually. I think il have a look into those books to make sure im up to the job before I apply for the course.

I think I should be grand out as I got an A1 in hons leaving cert and was doing pretty well in the English modules in U.L. but 2000 euro is a lot of cash for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

If you did any Linguistics modules, the language part of the course won't phase you at all and if you have any previous teaching experience, it will help if you're aiming for an A or B. If there are any free English classes run in your area, maybe you could volunteer as a teacher to get a bit of experience before doing the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Patricide, I work as an EFL teacher in Tralee. I have a good amount of EFL books if you want to have a look through them before you buy them. Send me a PM if you're interested!

• Advertisement

dapto1 wrote: »
    Patricide, I work as an EFL teacher in Tralee. I have a good amount of EFL books if you want to have a look through them before you buy them. Send me a PM if you're interested!
    Thanks, thatd be really usefull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kim Ling

Hi there, did you end up doing the CELTA course and if so, where? I too am interested in doing one (preferably in Dublin) and would be grateful for any input. Many thanks.

Kim Ling wrote: »
    Hi there, did you end up doing the CELTA course and if so, where? I too am interested in doing one (preferably in Dublin) and would be grateful for any input. Many thanks.
    Nope, things have been hectic with me and I have had a hard time saving so I havent gotten around to it. Do a search for the Celta/tefl Answers threat. There is some great info in it!

Kim Ling wrote: »
    Nope, things have been hectic with me and I have had a hard time saving so I havent gotten around to it. Do a search for the Celta/tefl Answers threat. There is some great info in it!

Advertisement