Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Election posters

Options
  • 03-03-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

So I see a lot of the candidates aren't half as quick as taking down their election posters as they were in putting them up.
    They all have to be gone by tomorrow but theres still a LOT of them up there.
    And what really annoys me with some of them is that they've ripped down the posters but have left the ugly cable ties hanging on the poles :mad:

Does this still count as littering? Anyone else find this annoying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Most of the ones in our area are gone now except our local lamp posts are decorated in a colorful mix of cable ties

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

They have a set amount of time to take them down. After that time it's littering and they will be fined €150 or something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

When I was coming home from my run I saw people taking down A poster. Dunno who's poster it was though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most have been taken down around here although there are still a small few floating about. The sooner they are down the better. They're a blight. If the candidates showed themselves enough between elections then there would be no need for posters and all the money that's wasted on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

if they leave the cable ties up with no poster how you know who to fine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's dangerous to take the posters down without snipping the cable ties so it amazes me how many ties are left on the poles. Also the councils ask people when taking posters down to also snip one or two of the other cable ties abandoned on the pole as a gesture towards the community. Don't know if it actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They have a set amount of time to take them down. After that time it's littering and they will be fined €150 or something stupid.

Fined €150 ... per poster. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Victor wrote: »
    Fined €150 ... per poster. :)
    CAN BET THAT LAW IS NOT ACTED ON CAUSE WE HAVE POSTERS OF THE SAME FELLA ALL OVER OUR AREA STILL BUT I RECKON THEY BETTER LEAVE THEM UP A WHILE AS WE NEVER SAW HIM BEFORE THE ELECTION SO THIS PROBABLY THE ONLY WAY WE WILL SEE HIM AFTER IT LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I thought there were rules to make the candidates use identifiable cable ties? Or perhaps this was just proposed last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Pretty sure the time limit is that they must have them down by tomorrow, possibly by the end of tomorrow but still hopefully that should see them gone soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Midnight last night according to Newstalk this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

not half as stupid as what they get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

There is a fine, per day, per poster for candidates. Report the poster that they may have genuinely forgotten about to your litter warden or waste management department of your city/county council, and they will alert the candidate, and start the charging. It'll come down pretty fast!

Advertisement