Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holidays with young kids

Options
  • 03-03-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi all,

although i know there is the travel forum, i specifically want to hear from parents as we're looking for some holiday destinations, resorts and even apartments/hotels that some parents can recommend for us, bearin in mind that our kiddies enjoyment is of most importance, we just want the sun, and other facilities we want to be geared towards the little ones

my oh and i will be travelling with our 4 and a half year old and our 15 ,month old (that will be their ages in june when we hope to go) it will be the little ones first time away, we brought the 4 year old to majorca last year and he loved it and got on so well. at the time the travel agents and the people who we spoke to referred to majorca as the only place for kids but i'm sure they can't be right. we would love to see a different place than majorca however we really would want a playground and a beach nearby at least, a baby pool on the complex and i think it could be important for the bus journey to be less than an hour ( i have a feeling that the plane is more comfortable than the bus for little kids, am i right?) i hope that i'm not asking for too much, but all suggestions welcome

so i hope someone might have some advice or ideas for us, as all are welcome - i'd say we won't be the only ones looking for some on this subject between now and summer so much apreciated in advance, thanx a million :) (sorry about the length of post, i just realized i was rambling :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Check out http://www.sirenishotels.com/hoteles_ibiza/sirenis_seaview_country_club_es.html

We'll be going there for the 4th year this year. We've a 14 and 4 year old.
    Brilliant family holiday destination, kids swimming pool, large pool sloped, 2 -3 life guards, creche and kids club. All day entertainment, quizzes, games, football, pool, basketball, tennis. Beach is 5 mins walk away. Town about 45 mins walk. Entertainment at night kids games, dancing, bingo. Can't rate it highly enough

R

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Personally if they are that small, I'd be inclined to stay in Ireland for a few years.

My kids best memories of holidays are those spent in our caravan in Kerry.

Granted caravanning isn't for everyone, but to me it's far preferable than a tiny apartment 20 floors up in a hot crowded beach resort.

They had plenty of company, the freedom of the fields/beach etc., and there was a hill walking group for me which I enjoyed. It was (in relative terms) very cheap and so we could easily take a much longer holiday than if we travelled abroad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are looking in to holidays for this summer too. I have a 5 week old and a 26 month old.
    So far we have been in France in a mobile home when she was 4/5 months,I think it is the best type of holidays for kids.I have so many fond memories of camping in Courttown and France as a kid.
    Last year we went to Lanzarotte for 2 weeks,it was very child friendly and she had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Kildrought wrote: »
    Personally if they are that small, I'd be inclined to stay in Ireland for a few years.

My kids best memories of holidays are those spent in our caravan in Kerry.

Granted caravanning isn't for everyone, but to me it's far preferable than a tiny apartment 20 floors up in a hot crowded beach resort.

They had plenty of company, the freedom of the fields/beach etc., and there was a hill walking group for me which I enjoyed. It was (in relative terms) very cheap and so we could easily take a much longer holiday than if we travelled abroad.
    I think you'll find plenty of places in the med and canaries that aren't high rise apartments.
    We were away twice last year and one of the times we rented a lovely villa not too expensive i might add
    The choice is out there if you do your homework as the OP seems to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I need to get a place for a week for my son and myself in the Languedoc. I have a place already in mind but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd welcome them or even possibly any other single moms with small kid might want to go in on a share. My little one will be four by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

My children are long since grown up Amiable!

Kildrought wrote: »
    My children are long since grown up Amiable!
    But the OP's aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭loishasdied

rorymurphy - thanx a mil, that sounds great, the link is in spanish so haven''t had a proper look but no probs because i'll find it in english now i have a name and will readup tonight, thanx again.

kildrought - we had planned to do just that to be honest but as it nears the summer i have to admit we just can't stop thinking about a sun holiday and how much we really want one. also we brought our 4 year old boy on his first last year and he absolutley loved it and was perfectly behaved and happy the whole week. in that week we paid a lot of attention to other families with small kids and in particular young toddlers. we don't expect it to be a relaxing holiday but will be able to take turns gettin an hour here and there lying in the blazing sun, jumping into a pool, proper holiday athmosphere and weather guaranteed really. thanks so much for suggestion and i do agree that irish holidays like you described are fantastic in their own right and we will make sure to experience them in the future.

moonbeam will look into france and lanzorate, unfortunately just mentioned caravan in france to oh as hadn't considered it and turns out he wants package hol style so maybe save france for another time because that's always somethin i'v wanted to do too. congrads on new baby, i didn't know you were pregnant again and that's a lovely age gap

amiable, a villa sounds lovely, do you have kids and what age are they? the most important things are that they will be entertained, i won't want to leave them in kidsclubs or creches but the resort we were in last year had lots of playground around (although sometimes a playground could just entail a slide and climbing frame) there was also a little playground in the apartment near the pool which was great - we really just want it to be centred around the little ones, am sure the baby will be fine so long as there's a baby paddling pool as i accept that i'll be up and down to the room with her twice or three times a day for naps and breaks which is fine, she is a very laidback soul and i'm sure she will soak in the athmosphere and get joy from looking at everything going on around her (hope i'm right)

metrovelvet, wheres languedoc? hope this thread helps you too
    thanx again guys, a

Yes OP i have 2 kids.
    On our last holiday they were 7 and 14 months.
    The villa was an excellent option for us as we booked the flights ourself with Ryanair and got a taxi from the airport.
    For me the Canaries can be a bit far to fly with young kids but can be worth it.
    Anything else you want to know OP just ask:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

We went to Lagos in Portugal last summer, baby rylie was 15 months at the time and we are definitely going back this year. Couldn't recommend it more, the apartments were spacious and really well equipped. There was a playground (very basic but did the job) and a baby pool. Lagos itself is a lovely town with great restaurants and the beach was 10 mins walk away. Transfer from Faro was just over an hour.

Here's a link to the apartments we stayed in:

http://www.marinaclub.pt/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Torremolinos is great for kids :D I'm 16 and have stayed in http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g187440-d622377-Reviews-Sol_Principito_Apartments-Torremolinos_Costa_del_Sol_Andalusia.html
    3 times. Now I wasn't 13,14 and 15 at the time but the place was full of kids, the same age as your own. The entire apartments are Flinstones themed with life-size figurines all over the place :) There is a kids club which was PACKED everyday and there are id say 3 massive pools in all. Plenty of other entertainment during the day and night for the kids too. :) Oh and when you go out the back door (you need your key to get back in the complex so it's safe) you're directly on the strip and across the road is the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Cala'n Forcat in Menorca is very kid friendly. I've staying Oasis Park twice - 2008 and 2010. Fine hotel - I personally wouldn't go for the all-inclusive package. Food is average in it but there are plenty of cheap restaurants within a 10 minute walk. Kids entertainment every night - if the show in the hotel is not to your fancy then you're only a few minutes from another one elsewhere. Nowhere is too far and no hills which is good for the pram pusher.

Cala'm Bosch is supposed to be very similar too - haven't been there myself so can't comment really.

Cala D'Or in Majorca is a nice place too but with a pram not the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

If your willing to give up the sun then get the boat over to the UK and go to Haven or Pontins!

You can walk around the boat, no issues with what you have in suitcases and how heavy they are! Whilst the accommodation can be basic, your kids will thank you and talk about it all year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We enjoyed Menorca with kids.

Advertisement