Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DITSU Election Results 2011

Options
  • 03-03-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Watch the livestream here!

Shall update as results come in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Jeez your not doing great on the updates :)

Ill fill in :)

Laura Fagan Bolton st Convenor

Glen Fitzpatrick Aungier st Convenor

David Rice Kevin st Convenor

Gill Byrne Mounjoy Square Convenor

Ciara Smith Rathmines Convenor

Anthony Handibode Cathal Brugha Convenor

Eric Fitzgerald VP Services & Trading

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

David Keogan was elected VP of Academic & Student Affairs, Ciaran Nevin was re-elected as President.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Voltwad wrote: »
    David Keogan was elected VP of Academic & Student Affairs, Ciaran Nevin was re-elected as President.

Congratzz Voltwad :) I believe you will now be a Convenor!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

thanks dude, still hasn't quite sunk in!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

Voltwad wrote: »

One wonders how the SU changes anything in DIT and elsewhere? Mass protest and the occupying of public buildings at times of tension like at budget time are frowned upon by the FF led USI and similarly by the equally distant, authoritative and invisible DITSU. Im a student since 2009. Nothing that has changed in DIT was down to the union. They wasted money on big TVS in the common rooms to keep people quiet. What is needed is pragmatical budgeting of the campus finances in aungier and elsewhere. The time for extravagance is gone. Money should be poured into student societies, not wasted on unused appliances. BTW, to last year's union led by Nevin, a 21 inch TV or even a small portable wouldve done the job in the common room in the january sales. Never mind the huge widescreens that no one watches.

As far as I can make out the only people running the SU since I came are those who dont want change-the usual crowd-careerist student politicians for the mostpart. You can go to governing council every month like an assembly as a student. You may not speak. You can vote on certain issues I believe. votes are often blocked by the people running the show. Protests are almost never organized and nothing radical like peaceful occupations and offering 'student ideas' to govt departments is done. In 1st year 1 protest was organized. This year one very successful protest was organized but of course, that was it. My question is, now that the same man has been re-elected president, will he open up everything to the students and have them running things for themselves with participative democracy through open votes, open SU policy proposals and motions by every union member, ie every student? I suspect not. I hope FEE set up in DIT soon! At least they seem to be run by students for students-not with all decisions taken in a dark room by elites who block votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

the FF led USI

Proff USI is in any way affiliated with FF? Oh, and the presidents previous political affiliations don't actually count, as USI officer board is made up of ten people that each have to sign off on any action taken by the president of USI

Money should be poured into student societies, not wasted on unused appliances.

Societies get their own funding, it is nothing to do with the union.

You can go to governing council every month like an assembly as a student. You may not speak. You can vote on certain issues I believe. votes are often blocked by the people running the show.

Non-governing councillors may not vote on anything at council, and they may request speaking rights in advance of the meeting. What you're complaining about would be similar to any old person wandering into the Dail and demanding to have their say and vote as a TD.

If you want your voice heard, if you want to dictate where funding goes, and if you want to ensure that the union is working for you, become a counsellor and GET INVOLVED!
    My question is, now that the same man has been re-elected president, will he open up everything to the students and have them running things for themselves with participative democracy through open votes, open SU policy proposals and motions by every union member, ie every student? I suspect not.

You claim to want to cut spending, yet for every decision the union makes, you appear to want a full DIT student referendum. The fact is that the students that want to get involved, will. Those who don't want to get involved, simply won't. Now some of those will be more than happy to go about their daily lives without student democracy, but some will come on boards to kick and scream, demanding why the union isn't doing exactly what they want because they know how to fix everything.

LISTEN! If you have the right answers, people will listen. If you just b!tch and moan about what's wrong, who's gonna care? GET INVOLVED

I hope FEE set up in DIT soon! At least they seem to be run by students for students-not with all decisions taken in a dark room by elites who block votes.

FEE are useless. If they set up in DIT, it would be just so they could say that they had a branch there!
    Seriously...most people hate FEE because they're pretty damn useless!

Advertisement