Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thorntons Waste service

Options
  • 03-03-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

The above company have recently canvassed in our area for business and we're seriously considering using them, no yearly fees, only pay per lift, free green bin lift, compostable liners for the brown bin (one of the issues we have about using the councils brown bin is the lack of a liner) and their rates per lift are cheaper than the councils. I still have a few niggles though,

(1) I need to contact the council and get them to remove the three existing bins from the property (how promptly will they do this?)

(2) If Thorntons don't get enough business in an area will they abandon it and leave customers in the lurch?

(3) What's the likelihood of Thorntons imposing a yearly charge in the future?

Has anybody any opinions on the above? ( and next weeks winning lotto numbers as well please:))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

(1) I need to contact the council and get them to remove the three existing bins from the property (how promptly will they do this?)

Thorntons organise this with the council so you dont have to deal with the council.. May take a few weeks knowing how quick councils work.. The parents are signing up.. but they have already delivered bins in our area and started collections this week..(tallaght)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭HappyHouseWife

Thorntons organise this with the council so you dont have to deal with the council.. May take a few weeks knowing how quick councils work.. The parents are signing up.. but they have already delivered bins in our area and started collections this week..(tallaght)

I know OZO take away your council bins but Thorntons give you a form to fill in and for you to contact council re same. Thanks for reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I have been waiting since October for the South Dublin council to take away their brown and black bins when I moved to Thorntons.
    The green bin was taken away within a week because it's emptied by a contractor hired by the council.
    I've rung them several times and every time I get "oh we're very understaffed at the moment so we don;t know when we'll be out to collect it..."

Bear in mind that this is the same council who skipped emptying the bins during the snow while the likes of Thorntons and City Bin still came into the same estates and served their own customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

Heroditas wrote: »
    I have been waiting since October for the South Dublin council to take away their brown and black bins when I moved to Thorntons.
    The green bin was taken away within a week because it's emptied by a contractor hired by the council.
    I've rung them several times and every time I get "oh we're very understaffed at the moment so we don;t know when we'll be out to collect it..."

Bear in mind that this is the same council who skipped emptying the bins during the snow while the likes of Thorntons and City Bin still came into the same estates and served their own customers.

Have you considered delivering them to your council and leaving them outside the front door to your, no doubt, new council offices which probably cost you, as a taxpayer, millions of pounds? I'll bet they will find the "resources" to move them from their own main entrance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭HappyHouseWife

Heroditas wrote: »

Yep, that's kind of what I was expecting! I reckon I will drag them down and dump them on their doorstep if they don't pick them up promptly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

(3) What's the likelihood of Thorntons imposing a yearly charge in the future?

100% - http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/images/Domestic-WebPage2080911v2_000.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Letter this morning asking for 50 euro landfill levy to be paid by Oct 1 ...

there was no mention of this payment on signing up 6 months ago :rolleyes:

mrbrown69 wrote: »

ditto - told them to take their bins and feck off

50 quid a year a ton is not the same as me being charged 50 quid for the rubbish i put out. there is no way that i'll put out a ton of rubbish.

so now they are going to collect their bins, and i'm going dumping* :rolleyes:

(*i'm not going dumping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just received an email about this myself this morning. They had no problem getting my business a couple of months ago when they told me there was no service charges and they they lump this on us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

It's a bit of a liberty, no mention of a once off payment for months then bang 1 weeks notice on said payment......I've worked it out (I think) and it's still some saving on council charges, roughly 60 euro a year but i still can't help but getting the feeling of being had...welcome to rip off Ireland :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ds999

It is such a cheap shot eh? I got that letter this morning.

I am in a right pickle with my bins though ... overall.

I owe Dublin South County Council a clatter load of money. They stopped lifting my bins a few months ago. That's why I got Thorntons. I still owe money to DSCC and am in NO position to pay (another long familiar story)

Can anyone tell me if I will still incur standing charges from DSCC, even though they are not lifting my bins anymore.

Cheers
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

mrbrown69 wrote: »

I only signed up the other day. No mention of this either. Dublin city finally took their own bins back yesterday lol. Complete scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

i got the same letter from thorntons today and i too changed to them recently and there was no mention of an annual charge ! What to do now i cant afford this 50 euro they are looking for next week , is there any point in trying to sign up with ozo or acess or do you think they will all impose this annual charge on us ???

Had only 1 lift with thorntons but I will move to Ozo out of principle if thorntons stand their ground - had no idea they were in area. thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved to Consumer Issues from S&EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

dudara wrote: »

so we are getting charged again for refuse? how much can they squeeze out of us?

and i notice it is a gradual squeeze ... first 10, then 30, then 50 .. then ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have my greyhound/council bins sitting in my van. Gonna throw them into Ballymount tonite on the way home.

I emptied them into my commercial bin in work which costs me 17 euro a lift.

Thats the big mother fecker steel bin on 4 wheels from greenstar.

Dont know why I never did it before now.

I have my greyhound/council bins sitting in my van. Gonna throw them into Ballymount tonite on the way home.

I emptied them into my commercial bin in work which costs me 17 euro a lift.

Thats the big mother fecker steel bin on 4 wheels from greenstar.

Dont know why I never did it before now.

could we all get one ? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 banjobeer

50euro a tonne is a levy imposed by the government and your waste collection service provider will not benefit in anyway and the bad news is government levy will increase up to 200euro tonne in the next few years

• Advertisement

banjobeer wrote: »
    50euro a tonne is a levy imposed by the government and your waste collection service provider will not benefit in anyway and the bad news is government levy will increase up to 200euro tonne in the next few years

If they have majority of customers depositing < 1 tonne a year they do benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

CityBin are charging us 5 Cent government landfill tax per kg of waste in the grey bin. So they are not making a profit. There are four of us and our grey bin (lifted fortnightly) is more than than a quarter full.

CityBin are charging us 5 Cent government landfill tax per kg of waste in the grey bin. So they are not making a profit. There are four of us and our grey bin (lifted fortnightly) is more than than a quarter full.

Sounds eminently fair, good on them!

Advertisement