Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom slowing down pc?

• 03-03-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have 2 laptops and desktop connected to eircom router and it is very slow. One of laptops had OS reinstalled two weeks ago and it is slow also. Once clicked on firefox or ie it's take ages to open website. I have also meteor stick redy to go- and once i plug that one everything is working fine.

Is it eircom fault on the line or maybe its router itself? any ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Dagged wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have 2 laptops and desktop connected to eircom router and it is very slow. One of laptops had OS reinstalled two weeks ago and it is slow also. Once clicked on firefox or ie it's take ages to open website. I have also meteor stick redy to go- and once i plug that one everything is working fine.

Is it eircom fault on the line or maybe its router itself? any ideas ?

Thanks

Pretty sure you will need to look somewhere else for the fault.

Set your home page to blank. If it still takes along time for firefox to start then the problem has nothing to do with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dagged

So why it works fine with meteor stick ?

Probably to do with the computer having issues with which internet connection to us.

It is probably trying the meteor modem first (Even if it is not plugged in) and then trying the wireless or wired connection.

I have seen this before especially if the mobile broadband software is set to start automatically. It installs a protocol in the network setting and tries to route traffic through it.

Have you checked the pings on your eircom connection?

ok. i'll check this but it happening on all 3 computeres and meteor stick is using on one only...

And you don't think it's router itself ?

I get the impression that the problem is only when the browser is starting, IE that the broadband is fine after that. In that case it is not Eircom's fault.

It is unlikely to be the router as that issues settings to the computer when the computer starts up rather than when the browser starts.

I would try and ping your router from a cmd prompt. The address is usually 192.168.1.254

You did not say if they are wired or wireless connections or a mix. If all wireless there could be some interference. You could try changing the channel on the router. Either 1, 6 or 11 will do

• Advertisement

All 3 computers are wireless. I can ping 192.168.1.254 which is router, but if i ping google.ie sometimes it takes ages to start working but I am geting respond so it's ok, but sometimes it says host not found, so not even sent ping... Looks like no connection at all

Dagged wrote: »
    All 3 computers are wireless. I can ping 192.168.1.254 which is router, but if i ping google.ie sometimes it takes ages to start working but I am geting respond so it's ok, but sometimes it says host not found, so not even sent ping... Looks like no connection at all

Try using a wired connection on one of the computers. Is it works fine then, it identifies the problem as being the wireless connection.

If it does not solve the problem, then their may be a problem with your broadband connection and you need to look at noise ratio's etc.

I'll try to put it on wire and have a look. I'll try to change chanels as you recomended also thanks

Advertisement