Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clattenburg: The sins of

• 03-03-2011 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Mark Clattenburg last night booked Balotelli for an elbowing incident while challenging for the ball. Proper order.

But last week he awarded a free kick against Rooney for an elbow on an opponent nowhere near the ball.

The FA has said he managed the Rooney incident correctly, and he has said he believes he did so also. So how can they both stand over the Balotelli booking?

Nani handled the ball before scoring against Spurs last October. The whole world saw it, but Clattenburg.

In 2007 he sent off Hibbert of Everton after consulting Gerrard - an opponent :eek:

If the referee is not corrupt, can you say he is disproportionately influenced by the prestige of the club on the field?

What other screw-ups have I forgotten?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The amount of inconsistencies in refereeing these days mean that you could say the same about any referee in the Premier League, unfortunately. The worst thing that ever happened is turning them professional as it hasn't made one bit of difference.

Atwell's the worst of them all IMO. However, I have to say I think Webb is an excellent referee and Halsey isn't too far behind. Apart from that though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

won't somebody think of the children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I read somewhere that at one stage he was removed as a ref for life, but it was reduced to an 8 month suspension on appeal for some financial irregularities or something?

5starpool wrote: »
    I read somewhere that at one stage he was removed as a ref for life, but it was reduced to an 8 month suspension on appeal for some financial irregularities or something?

I heard it was because he performed a miracle that he was allowed back:

3PMCLATT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If ref's were 100% right 100% of the time what would we have to talk about, the soccer forum's would become a barren and desolate place overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    If ref's were 100% right 100% of the time what would we have to talk about, the soccer forum's would become a barren and desolate place overnight
    We'd talk about the football itself rather than the officials.

lucyfur09 wrote: »

The football perhaps? That's what we should always be talking about but due to the incompetence of referee's they're usually the one's we're talking about instead/

That's what most of the referee's want anyway, they want to be the celebrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

5starpool wrote: »
    Top referee Mark Clattenburg was suspended after allegations he had sent an email threatening the family of a business associate, it can be revealed.
    An investigation into Clattenburg has centred not only on his personal life, but also on business debts of almost £175,000 he is alleged to have
    run up in recent months.

From here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mendez video

That was him? Spurs must hate him - Man U must love him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

YOUTUBE

That was borderline . To be fair the ball doesn't look to have crossed the line from this angel.

picture.php?albumid=102&pictureid=8901

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

In fairness to him he is generally a good referee, it's just whenever he makes a mistake it's high profile and usually for Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In fairness to him he is generally a good referee, it's just whenever he makes a mistake it's high profile and usually for Man United.

Thats the problem though, its practically always in favour of Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Warper wrote: »

He is like a reverse Martin Atkinson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At this point, they should probably just (unofficially) stop allocating him ManU games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Mark Clattenburg last night booked Balotelli for an elbowing incident while challenging for the ball. Proper order.

But last week he awarded a free kick against Rooney for an elbow on an opponent nowhere near the ball.

The FA has said he managed the Rooney incident correctly, and he has said he believes he did so also. So how can they both stand over the Balotelli booking?

Nani handled the ball before scoring against Spurs last October. The whole world saw it, but Clattenburg.

In 2007 he sent off Hibbert of Everton after consulting Gerrard - an opponent :eek:

If the referee is not corrupt, can you say he is disproportionately influenced by the prestige of the club on the field?

The Nani incident, it's worth pointing out, was because he waved for advantage, and after gomes dawdled and took too long with the ball in play, Nani just nicked it off him. Think it was graham poll or one of those lads that made that analysis and defended the decision.

Name any ref and you can reel off a list of bad decisions he's made over his refereeing career. It's just incompetence and basic human error, not some mad conspiracy theory for/against any given team. More proof that review systems are needed

For actual corrupt refereeing practices, see the refereeing fiasco and the sacking of Hugh Dallas in Scotland last November/December...that now, was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Grow up, imo.
    It's obvious why this thread was started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah I was wondering where the daily Man United bashing thread was.

I wonder what awaits us tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Great idea for a thread OP, here's a video I found earlier that seems to fit your agenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i bet charlie sheen supports utd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Great idea for a thread OP, here's a video I found earlier that seems to fit your agenda.

Quality video :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Quality video :)

I don't think Atkinson had the best game ever the other day but that video is such a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

I do generally agree that the bigger the club then the more favourable decisions they get. But someone said earlier that Webb is a good ref? I really disagree with that statement.

The sooner they bring in the video technology to help these lads out the better. It's silly in this day and age that they have to make quick calls, with not all the facts, under pressure from crowds and players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Webb wouldn't have reffed the Champions League final and the World Cup final if he wasn't a good ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

More than half of the decisions he made in that video were right. Very childish video. Go cry somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Course it is. Every now and then they get something going againest them like last night just to make it look on the level. I don't know one big business that's not corrupt why would football be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    More than half of the decisions he made in that video were right. Very childish video. Go cry somewhere else.

Now that's not very polite, is it?

I wouldn't class a ref who gets about 50% of decisions correct a good ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ah I was wondering where the daily Man United bashing thread was.

I wonder what awaits us tomorrow.

Hmm, are you saying Clattenburg is Man U? I wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Clattenburg hasnt been allowed referee at Goodison since 2007 when he
    1. Consulted with Gerrard and then sent Hibbert off
    2. Didnt send off Kuyt for a kung fu attack on Neville
    3. Denied Everton a stonewell peno when Carragher hauled down Lescott in the last min.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2323916/Mark-Clattenburg-pays-for-Mersey-mayhem.html

I reckon he'll never be back at Goodison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Most Man U fans will tell you they only lose big games becasue of the ref :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Rob Styles!!! That is all

No we won't. Don't be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Nah sometimes we just don't pay them enough and someone like Chelsea outbids us.:pac:

J. Marston wrote: »
    Webb wouldn't have reffed the Champions League final and the World Cup final if he wasn't a good ref.

He's excellent IMO. However, he's very much the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Paully D wrote: »
    He's excellent IMO. However, he's very much the exception.

Ya I do think Webb is the current best ref in the EPL. I've been impressed with that new young lad too so far he's done a pretty good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The only reason Webb got the WC final was cos FIFA were making up to the English FA for their disallowed goal.

Ya I do think Webb is the current best ref in the EPL. I've been impressed with that new young lad too so far he's done a pretty good job.

Michael Oliver.

I agree with you there, he's doing his job very well indeed. He's similar to Webb in that he'll talk to the players, explains his decisions and won't dish out cards for nothing.

It seems the players respect him too, which is a good achievement in itself considering he's younger than most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

efb wrote: »
    The only reason Webb got the WC final was cos FIFA were making up to the English FA for their disallowed goal.

Really? FIFA are thick but I doubt even they would think; "Whoops, one of our officials messed up. Lets give the final to an English ref. That'll keep 'em sweet."
    Nah.

efb wrote: »

No, it wasn't and you know that.

Webb got the World Cup final because he was superb in the World Cup, along with doing an excellent job at refereeing the Champions League final.

He would have been given the Champions League final a couple of years before he got it, but with English teams in it he obviously couldn't.

He's an excellent referee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Some people on this forum are getting seriously sad with the old repetitive 'Referees Give United Preferential Treatment' gig. Get over it, we've had more than enough terrible decisions go against us, I don't mind when people take the piss out of incidents like that when they happen but you are obviously all coming here just to try your little snide digs at United which is pretty pathetic tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

How was the Clattenburg's fault? He was on the half way line, you can't give the goal from there...blame lies entirely with the lino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

fullstop wrote: »
    How was the Clattenburg's fault? He was on the half way line, you can't give the goal from there...blame lies entirely with the lino.

They have grass at Old Trafford not lino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

curry-muff wrote: »
    Some people on this forum are getting seriously sad with the old repetitive 'Referees Give United Preferential Treatment' gig.

Not at all. These guys epitomize all their clubs and we love it. :D

Look at Mister Men for example.This guy is full of shíte whatever the thread but he does produce some gems all the same.
    Mister men wrote: »
    Course it is. Every now and then they get something going againest them like last night just to make it look on the level. I don't know one big business that's not corrupt why would football be any different?

That's all fine and dandy but could you please reply to this ???
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Clattenburg hasnt been allowed referee at Goodison since 2007 when he
    1. Consulted with Gerrard and then sent Hibbert off
    2. Didnt send off Kuyt for a kung fu attack on Neville
    3. Denied Everton a stonewell peno when Carragher hauled down Lescott in the last min.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2323916/Mark-Clattenburg-pays-for-Mersey-mayhem.html

I reckon he'll never be back at Goodison

Are you Mister Men saying that Liverpool football club are as corrupt as the system that allows them to be ??? Or are you just talking shíte as usual ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

flahavaj wrote: »
    They have grass at Old Trafford not lino.

Oh you're just hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Another sin today,

Denies Fulham a questionable penalty on Johson from a tackle from Hanley - would have been very harsh but have seen them given,

anyways the ball goes out for a corner,

and from the corner he gives a penalty to Fulham, if you give that one there would be 100 penalties in the premier League every weekend.

Clown

Edit: Sends a Blackburn player off after the whistle, don't even know who it was yet for protesting presumably about that decision.

Another sin today,

Denies Fulham a questionable penalty on Johson from a tackle from Hanley - would have been very harsh but have seen them given,

anyways the ball goes out for a corner,

and from the corner he gives a penalty to Fulham, if you give that one there would be 100 penalties in the premier League every weekend.

Clown

Edit: Sends a Blackburn player off after the whistle, don't even know who it was yet for protesting presumably about that decision.

He probably thought that he should have given the original one and tried to make up for his decision at the next available opportunity.

He's a twat. Expect nothing to be made of it though because it didn't happen to one of the top four.

Paully D wrote: »
    He probably thought that he should have given the original one and tried to make up for his decision at the next available opportunity.

He's a twat. Expect nothing to be made of it though because it didn't happen to one of the top fourUnited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Just watching it on MOTD now. Some of these decisions are unbelievable.

That Fulham peno looks legit though.

Pauleta wrote: »
    Just watching it on MOTD now. Some of these decisions are unbelievable.

That Fulham peno looks legit though.

Aye, however, that happens all the time so if Clattenburg's going to give that then he has to give the other say 5-10 penalties for that offence which occurs each and every game.

As I said, it looks like he was just trying to make up for not giving the stonewall penalty in the lead up to that corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement