Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Your Deposit Back Cheque or Cash

Options
  • 03-03-2011 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question folks. When we paid our deposit to our landlady it was in the form of cash. I'm sure that when we get it back from her it'll be in the shape of a cheque. Would it be cheeky/rude to ask for it back as cash?

With a cheque I'll have to go to the bank, lodge it and most likely wait a few days for it to clear. We're moving out as we've just bought a house so the extra cash would be very handy straight away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Just a quick question folks. When we paid our deposit to our landlady it was in the form of cash. I'm sure that when we get it back from her it'll be in the shape of a cheque. Would it be cheeky/rude to ask for it back as cash?

With a cheque I'll have to go to the bank, lodge it and most likely wait a few days for it to clear. We're moving out as we've just bought a house so the extra cash would be very handy straight away.

If I pay in cash I expect and ask for cash in return. Ask her for it in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's not rude at all, it is a reasonable request. Keep in mind not all LLs give back deposit at key handover anyway, in case bills come in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If they don't like the cash idea, A bank transfer is easily done with online banking, should be quick. However inspections might take a couple of days to happen depending on how organised the LL is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I cannot see how you can realistically refuse the cheque and insist on cash. You could ask, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I cannot see how you can realistically refuse the cheque and insist on cash. You could ask, I suppose.

I never mentioned the word refuse. I sent her a text and said I would prefer cash if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

I wouldn't accept a cheque!
    Who knows if it'll bounce or not? You paid cash, it's only reasonable to expect cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Cheques aren't worth a damn anymore. Notice how most banks don't offer a cheque guarantee card except to business customers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I mentioned it to her the other day and she said she couldn't give me cash for 'paper trail reasons' but that she could certainly do an EBT which is grand. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement