Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Pies?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Being English, I occasionally get a hunger for an old fashioned pork pie.

They seem however to be in very short supply in Ireland.

I can sometimes get mini ones in Tesco, but that is a long drive away.

But no one else has them; not LIDL, or Dunne's etc.

Why is this please?

Sausage rolls just do not appeal!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

IMO not to be smart but i believe this is because they are horrid.

even the nutritional values are terrible LINK

I have had them more than once, and also know a lot of other irish people who have tried them.
    We were actually discussing this recently and not one of us liked them, all thought they were disgusting.

Not trying to know your tastes or anything, but in short I don't think from my experience that they are suited to an Irish palette

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

greenfly wrote: »
    IMO not to be smart but i believe this is because they are horrid.

even the nutritional values are terrible LINK

I have had them more than once, and also know a lot of other irish people who have tried them.
    We were actually discussing this recently and not one of us liked them, all thought they were disgusting.

Not trying to know your tastes or anything, but in short I don't think from my experience that they are suited to an Irish palette

Horse****!!!

Speak for yourself.

I love pork pies as do most of my family.

The only places I've found them are Tesco and M&S

They're not big here probably because as a nation we don't have the refined taste to appreciate them - sweet chilli sauce and deep fried cheese (and could I have some coleslaw with that) are the height of our culinary adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

I wish I had not read this, it has made my lunch time much more complicated.....
    I am heading off on a search. Maybe we could get the Hanley's pasties people to branch out and source some Pork pies for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Horse****!!!

Speak for yourself.

I love pork pies as do most of my family.

The only places I've found them are Tesco and M&S

They're not big here probably because as a nation we don't have the refined taste to appreciate them - sweet chilli sauce and deep fried cheese (and could I have some coleslaw with that) are the height of our culinary adventures.

THANK YOU! I moved to Cork from near the Border a while ago. Just sometimes ONLY a pork pie will hit the spot... ASDA had them but again small ones. I will have to brave the Cork traffic again I can see..

I found one tesco and there they were, mini ones.. Only two left by the time I got to Bandon...

As for the nutritional angle; if you need a pork pie then there is a reason for needing it. As long as you don't live on them...Once in a while is fine, given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pork Pies rule! As do Marks and Sparks steak and kidney pies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Graces7 wrote: »
    THANK YOU! I moved to Cork from near the Border a while ago. Just sometimes ONLY a pork pie will hit the spot... ASDA had them but again small ones. I will have to brave the Cork traffic again I can see..

Obviously im pretty much on my own on this so, mabye its an acquired taste, like i said though thats from my experience.

I think ive seen them in Tesco Douglas in cork, its a Tesco extra and so have a lot of British stock, a more than Tesco Wilton or Paul Street anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

I ventured into Tesco, but I was not impressed by their pork pies.
    Looks like M&S might be the way to go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 melton pies

I also love good pork pies, melton Mowbray being the best. The only stockist in Ireland appears to be Tesco, however I wonder if they are genuine MB pies. I tried them sometime ago and they where nice, however the last pack of small ones I did not enjoy, they tasted like the other rubbish on the shelf, I came to the conclusion they where mass produced locally and where not genuine MB. I actually gave the last one to my dog and will not buy any more from Tesco. I am sure if the really genuine product was available over here people would buy and enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 melton pies

Adverts | Friends

I also love good pork pies, melton Mowbray being the best. The only stockist in Ireland appears to be Tesco, however I wonder if they are genuine MB pies. I tried them sometime ago and they where nice, however the last pack of small ones I did not enjoy, they tasted like the other rubbish on the shelf, I came to the conclusion they where mass produced locally and where not genuine MB. I actually gave the last one to my dog and will not buy any more from Tesco. I am sure if the really genuine product was available over here people would buy and enjoy them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Hi melton pies, welcome to boards. As this thread is from over 6 years ago, and the thread starter has been banned, I'm afraid I must lock it. Feel free to start a new thread; however, please be sure to read the charter first.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement