Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bins in Castletown

Options
  • 03-03-2011 11:12am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mine was stolen last Friday. My next door neighbour has had two stolen in the space of a few weeks.

It's a real problem and I've no idea how to deal with it bar buying a gun!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

who would want a bin?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Mine was stolen last Friday. My next door neighbour has had two stolen in the space of a few weeks.

seriously? that's a bit mad! what's the point?

But ye did get nice new tree's :D also.. did you see the dumping on the mouth of the woods there a few days ago? absolute disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

if ya have anything extra leave it out tomorrow and i'll take it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

guil wrote: »
    if ya have anything extra leave it out tomorrow and i'll take it

Cheers guil. It was the green one which was stolen and that's not due out till next week, so am grand.
    I've already requested a replacement from AES, so as long as they get it to me before next Friday, all will be fine.

As for who or why they are being stolen.
    Having discussed this with my neighbours, it all started during the cold spell. We are making the guess that it's the kids who go drinking in Castletown woods during the weekend nights.
    It being cold, they probably set light to the rubbish in the bin (or use wood from the woods) to keep themselves warm.
    As AES collect round our area on a Friday, (the start of their weekend), the bins are perfectly placed to be nicked.
    I've lived in Castletown for six years now and this is the first winter this has happened, so would assume it's the same people.
    ChewChew wrote:
    But ye did get nice new tree's also.

I'm giving 2/1 odds they don't make it past Saturday night.
    did you see the dumping on the mouth of the woods there a few days ago?

When my neighbours first bin was stolen they weren't sure what happened.
    Then they brought their dogs into the woods for a walk.
    As they past some rubbish, they recognised it was theirs!
    Bin stolen, rubbish dumped and bin no longer in sight.
    Hence, our theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

When you get your new bin, don't put any rubbish in it, climb into it, leave it out to be collected and when the little s@*ts try to rob it jump out and scare the bejeezus out of them..! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

The stolen bin situation has gotten a lot worse since the council started sending out their trucks very early in the morning during darkness hours. Sometimes they arrive later but they is no knowing when they will arrive. Of course they use private companies, and some of them arrive as early as 5am. Consequently, people have to put their bins out at night, before they go to bed.

The bins get stolen at night by the teenage drinkers who dump out the rubbish and take the bins into the woods to use for lighting fires.

The best solution is to try and get the council and the private companies to collect the bins later in the morning when people are awake and able to keep an eye on them. Some councillors were in favour of this as people were complaining about the noise from the trucks during the night.

The Raven. wrote: »
    The stolen bin situation has gotten a lot worse since the council started sending out their trucks very early in the morning during darkness hours. Sometimes they arrive later but they is no knowing when they will arrive. Of course they use private companies, and some of them arrive as early as 5am. Consequently, people have to put their bins out at night, before they go to bed.

The bins get stolen at night by the teenage drinkers who dump out the rubbish and take the bins into the woods to use for lighting fires.

The best solution is to try and get the council and the private companies to collect the bins later in the morning when people are awake and able to keep an eye on them. Some councillors were in favour of this as people were complaining about the noise from the trucks during the night.
    KCC allow bin trucks into the estates after 5am but not before that, its not as easy as saying collect in castletown later, its in the middle of the run for all the companies i think, i meet thorntons in there most mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It's selfish idiots like those that ruin things for everyone, they are currently littering the woodlands and could easily set off a major fire. One solution is to fence off the woodlands so OPW have control over access and times of day. Such a solution would not be well greeted by those who like the easy access from Castletown estate. I doubt if the garda or OPW are going to do nightly patrols of the woodlands. Are there any other solutions?

KCC allow bin trucks into the estates after 5am but not before that, its not as easy as saying collect in castletown later, its in the middle of the run for all the companies i think, i meet thorntons in there most mornings

It is only in recent years that the KCC bin trucks started arriving as early as 5 a.m. and this coincided with a lot of bins being stolen, as they have to be left out overnight. The same goes for the ever increasing numbers of private companies collecting during the night.

Before that the KCC trucks used to always arrive later in the morning when people were up and about, and the bins were only taken (very rarely) when people left them out at night in front of their side gates. There is no reason why KCC cannot do this again (and also the private companies), in areas where there is a problem. It is not a lot to ask. They occasionally arrive much later in the day anyway. This would indeed solve the problem.

KCC dont have any bin trucks, they use oxigin
    for the last 2-3 years i've worked for AES and this is the first time i've heard of any issue with bins being robbed, the odd time 1 would fall into the truck but i'd report it to a manager to get replaced
    i was of the day the OP's bin went missing so i dont know if it fell into the truck or not

• Advertisement

KCC dont have any bin trucks, they use oxigin

I have already mentioned that in my earlier post:
    The Raven. wrote: »
    Of course they use private companies, and some of them arrive as early as 5am.

I don't intend saying it in every post. When I said 'KCC trucks' it should be obvious that I meant the trucks used by KCC on a contract basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I do not accept that

We have had our bin collected early in the morning for as far back as I can remember (10 years or more). As we both go to work early in the morning it suits us to take the bin in early and is one of the reasons we originally arranged to have a private contractor. If the bin was collected later it would be left outside all day until maybe six or seven in the evening. This would alert any chance thief that the house was unoccupied and leave us open to a break-in. I would sooner have my bin stolen than my house broken into.
    Prior to having a private contractor some of our bins allegedly "fell" into the council truck , this has never happened with Thorntons.
    If they are forced to revert to day time collections we will be seeking an alternative method of waste disposal.

Last night my blue recycle bin was stolen.

I walked down to the woods entrance to see if there was any sign of it.
    I passed someone elses rubbish dumped on the side of the road, so mine was not the only one stolen.
    No sign of my bin or it's rubbish.
    This is becoming very annoying. :(

I'm just back from my mam's house. The rubbish dumped on the footpath is awful. She told me about it, and I assumed it was just going to be a little bit but there is actually loads!! :eek: it's horrible!! what's the point of it?

Last night my blue recycle bin was stolen.

I walked down to the woods entrance to see if there was any sign of it.
    I passed someone elses rubbish dumped on the side of the road, so mine was not the only one stolen.
    No sign of my bin or it's rubbish.
    This is becoming very annoying. :(
    thats shocking, i wont go into castletown/walled gardens tilll 8 am from now on, hopefully it wont be taken in daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

There is some chemical in the green bins that gets released when burnt. They are getting high off them.

JDxtra wrote: »
    There is some chemical in the green bins that gets released when burnt. They are getting high off them.
    not all recycling bins are green

thats shocking

It's a pain in the ass guil. I use that bin on a daily basis so will miss it till the new one gets to me.
    i wont go into castletown/walled gardens tilll 8 am from now on, hopefully it wont be taken in daylight

That would be a fantastic help. I'll be able to wait until the morning to put the bin out. During the day, I expect they will be at school, so it should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

not all recycling bins are green

True. Mine is blue - but the OP said his was green in a later post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

yea yea

• Advertisement

KIDS SNIFF BINS TO GET HIGH
    Sunday November 4, 2007
    A NEW drugs craze is sweeping the country – wheelie bin sniffing.
    Youth gangs are stealing the bins, setting fire to the bottoms – then sticking their heads under the lids to inhale the fumes.
    Solvent abuse charities last night warned it could be just as dangerous as sniffing glue or petrol.
    Gases from the burning polyethylene plastic starve the brain of oxygen, giving a quick high.
    Drug charity Solve It said: “Just because it sits in mum and dad’s back yard doesn’t mean it’s safe. Once on fire, a bin is a lethal weapon.”
    The craze started in Glasgow and has spread to other areas. Police in Barnsley, South Yorks., which has had 100 bin fires in a fortnight, say it’s the “new drug of choice.”

http://stopplasticfuel.wordpress.com/2008/09/24/more-deadly-information/

Joe Public wrote: »
    Youth gangs are stealing the bins, setting fire to the bottoms – then sticking their heads under the lids to inhale the fumes.
    Seriously? that is just disgusting!! The smell of a bin after a weeks supply of rubbish is just awful.. how do they stomach it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Thats crazy alright but I reckon only the really stupid would try it, Why cant they smoke hash or drink cider instead..

Our bin collectors have a key to this house, They can only access the hall and backyard so its ideal, I dont have to worry about the scumbags setting the bins on fire..

charlemont wrote: »
    Thats crazy alright but I reckon only the really stupid would try it, Why cant they smoke hash or drink cider instead..

It's free

True. Mine is blue - but the OP said his was green in a later post.
    yeah the first bin was a green rubbish one but the second was a blue recycling one that was robbed yesterday

Well the hubby was out jogging in the woods this morning and found our rubbish.
    Had to go round and collect it. Loads more rubbish from other peoples bins in there too but I couldn't collect it all as I've no where to put it.

That's shocking beruthial. If you're stuck for room give me a shout, I'll be in my mam's later and can call in and take some rubbish for you till you get your bins sorted!!

ChewChew wrote: »
    That's shocking beruthial. If you're stuck for room give me a shout, I'll be in my mam's later and can call in and take some rubbish for you till you get your bins sorted!!

Thanks for the offer ChewChew, but am grand.
    A knight in shining armour has already sorted the bin situation for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 greycrow

i drink down the forest because there is nowhere else to, we do not rob the bins for fun, we need them for heat, do you realise how cold it is down there? give us something else to burn and no more bins will go missing, simple as, and by the way i have never taken any bins myself. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 greycrow

Joe Public wrote: »
    KIDS SNIFF BINS TO GET HIGH
    Sunday November 4, 2007
    A NEW drugs craze is sweeping the country – wheelie bin sniffing.
    Solvent abuse charities last night warned it could be just as dangerous as sniffing glue or petrol.
    Gases from the burning polyethylene plastic starve the brain of oxygen, giving a quick high.
    Drug charity Solve It said: “Just because it sits in mum and dad’s back yard doesn’t mean it’s safe. Once on fire, a bin is a lethal weapon.”
    The craze started in Glasgow and has spread to other areas. Police in Barnsley, South Yorks., which has had 100 bin fires in a fortnight, say it’s the “new drug of choice.”

http://stopplasticfuel.wordpress.com/2008/09/24/more-deadly-information/

hahahaha, we do not do that ****, we are not stupid *****

Advertisement