Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analysing Politics - 2nd year module

Options
  • 03-03-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there doing this course?

I want to get some grinds in it but I don't really know what area to look for the grinds in as it isn't really about politics. Would it be statistics that I need someone to help me with?

Anyone who isn't doing the course - we had to design a questionnaire as our first assignment. 2nd assignment is to write a research essay about the results of the questionnaire. Its the research essay that I need to get help for. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

sorry if this doesn't make sense

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You could just go to your tutor or lecturer and get help. There are literally 1000s of books on those topics that can help you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Does Jos Elkink still do this?

It may seem hard, but really, it isn't at all.

When i did it, i got an A, having not been to many of they lectures that covered that area.

Who is your Tutor?

From what you describe, it seems the same as it was for me, questions wise.

The research essay itself is a lot less daunting than it seems.

My group did ours on attitudes towards charity in a time of recession, and how different demographics were represented.

I put the statistics from the results into words, then into sentences ( I don't mean that in a smart way,by the way )

All he is looking for is that you understand how to read results, and how different demographics have varying attitudes, and put this into words.

Is it still 1500 words?

200 word intro explaining the survey, types of methods used

Body -

We had 5 different demographics to look at ( Students, employed, unemployed etc )

You could write 100-150 words on each of these, and how the results were varying between the groups .

You are already on 700-900 words on that, and all you have done is added sentences to your results.

200-300 words on what you would have done differently / how each method was beneficial or not

And then a 200 word conclusion / summary on everything.

first thing you need to do is just break down your results, and get as much out of them as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

I did this last year and found it so hard, but in the end the exam was easy and i got an A-.

If you want to PM me more details I'll do my best to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel a bit better now. I haven't actually started doing the essay yet as the questionnaire bit hasn't been returned yet.

Voodoo - that was really helpful way of splitting it up - makes it seem way less daunting. The lecturer this year is Thomas Sattler and I find the lectures pretty interesting just when I try to look at the stuff myself I get a bit lost. I often wonder if I am looking at notes belonging to someone else (that are somehow in my writing).

Fewtolose - that gives me a bit of confidence thanks a million.

Parker - of course you are right :) I think I'm going to get a really simple guide to research methods and start from there.

Advertisement