Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Community Centre Access

Options
  • 03-03-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

In November of last year I sought access to Charlesland Community Centre (CCC) for a group I belong to made up nearly entirely of Charlesland residents. Between the jigs and the reels I eventually was told by Noreen in Wyse (since left) that I could have access to the CCC subject to a fee (25 euro) being paid per use and provision being made for the ongoing payment of this fee. Noreen said that the fee had been decided by the developers.
    It appears that, bar one off uses, the CCC is not in use at all. Correction, a mother and toddler group use the hall on a tuesday.
    In conversation with Katie Wright it became apparent that the developers had recieved a tidy sum over the last few years from the management fees.
    The amount of 25 euro, to me, is immaterial. However I have severe issues with being asked to pay for the upkeep, through the management fee, of a facility which I then have to pay again for to use. It is double taxation.
    A cynical individual, which I am, might think that the developers are quite happy to minimise the use of the CCC to reduce costs etc.
    Regardless the state of play is WE HAVE NO FREE ACCESS TO OUR CENTER.
    Btw the 25 euro was to cover light and heat for the four hours we would be there. Ridiculous!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

what was the nature of the meeting and was it a not for profit meeting?

if this was for a business venture i could understand being charged. the management fees afaik only cover insurance and maintenance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

The nature of the meeting was non-profit. I needed a venue outside of the pub and the group has expanded to make the use of peoples houses impractical. All of this was explained to Wyse.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

what was the nature of the meeting and was it a not for profit meeting?

if this was for a business venture i could understand being charged. the management fees afaik only cover insurance and maintenance etc.

Why do the charlesland residents pay for insurance and maintenance of the centre, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Because we own it as a community.

The builders handed it over to us a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Quite frankly I gave up on trying to gain access to my community hall and made arrangements to meet elsewhere.
    I would love to know if anyone has managed to get inside it. I would also love to know what the billed costs are to us as a community.
    There is no doubt in my mind that the obstacles put in my way to gain access were purely to avoid the developer from incurring costs.
    Anyway I would love to hear what my fellow charleslanders feel about this and should we, as a community, bring some pressure to bear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Tomato wrote: »
    Why do the charlesland residents pay for insurance and maintenance of the centre, do you know?

Why do Charlesland residents pay Wyse for a lot of things (services) that either do not exist or (like this) are not actually avaialbe to residents. Another case is that infamous bus service that everybody paid for (well those who have paid) this year and yet, it does not exist.

The way they treat the residents with such contempt and disrespect is unbelievable to me at times. How they are still in business only raises many other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

I've recently attended a couple of things there. Maybe they have relaxed the 'rules' on access.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fi Fi wrote: »
    I've recently attended a couple of things there. Maybe they have relaxed the 'rules' on access.

Like what?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know this is an old thread but its still quite relevant.

Its ridiculously stupid that in order to use the rooms here you have to go all the way to Stillorgan to Kennedy Wrights to get keys

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I know this is an old thread but its still quite relevant.

Its ridiculously stupid that in order to use the rooms here you have to go all the way to Stillorgan to Kennedy Wrights to get keys

That's a farce - someone on the estate management committee could hold them possibly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Folks, if you require access to the community centre, you should contact a committee member of your individual residents association.

AFIK, Katie Wright was to have provided keys to each of the individual committees before she moved out of the office in Charlesland to specifically prevent the trek out to Stillorgan.

Folks, if you require access to the community centre, you should contact a committee member of your individual residents association.

AFIK, Katie Wright was to have provided keys to each of the individual committees before she moved out of the office in Charlesland to specifically prevent the trek out to Stillorgan.

How were people supposed to know this?

Terry Pratchet

in fairness joey....most people do know this....(I'm just a messenger - no shooting please)

As far as I can see this is the first time this point has been raised over 3 years....and from the activity in the community centre almost every day and night, I'd say there are more aware than unaware of how to get their hands on a key.

in fairness joey....most people do know this....

As far as I can see this is the first time this point has been raised over 3 years....and from the activity in the community centre almost every day and night, I'd say there are more aware than unaware of how to get their hands on a key.

Do they know that? really? How can you tell that?

I'd say if you asked all of Charlesland maybe 10% would know it tbh

Terry Pratchet

That's your opinion Joey...you're entitled to it.
    As for how I know, well I've had the pleasure of dealing with a committee member who kindly helped me with access to the community centre one night.
    I'd say the majority of long term residents who take an interest in the community would know that the individual residents committees have keys to the Community Centre.
    A simple call to Kennedy Wright will confirm this...so in actual fact, there is no need for a resident to travel all the way out to Stillorgan to collect keys.

I'd say the majority of long term residents who take an interest in the community would know that the individual residents committees have keys to the Community Centre.

:rolleyes:

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

in fairness joey....most people do know this....(I'm just a messenger - no shooting please)

Seriously.... stop being so sensitive....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

That's your opinion Joey...you're entitled to it.
    As for how I know, well I've had the pleasure of dealing with a committee member who kindly helped me with access to the community centre one night.
    A simple call to Kennedy Wright will confirm this...so in actual fact, there is no need for a resident to travel all the way out to Stillorgan to collect keys.

Wrong information! I spoke with a committee member tonight regarding access to the community centre.

They said that they where not responsible for handing out keys to the centre. I mentioned your post, they where surprised as they knew nothing about this.
    They suggested contacting Kennedy wright for bookings and agreeing access arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Which management company lakeroad? I know the key holder for the wood - perhaps each corner of the development are being fed different information.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

The grove and park management company.

• Advertisement

Just spoke to Seabourne mgmt company. They know nothing about the keys either.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

May I suggest that this is only a new problem (post-Kennedy Wright moving out), where it was raised at the last AGM, and now slowly each MC is finding out the situation? So the next question is: are there designated key-holders for each MC or just a select few key-holders in the development?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

I know the directors of Grove and Park have access to a key (one of them might hold it), but they like everyone else still need to go through Kennedy Wright to make a booking - as Kennedy Wright are still the agents for CRMC, who manage anything to do with the Community centre.

As I understand it, CRMC (Charlesland residents Management committee??) is the 'central' management committee into which all others (Wood, Park, Grove, Court, maybe Seabourne too??) pay into for things like lighting, grass cutting in the middle green & the community centre.

Advertisement