Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Join Spar and Ray for 5k - Cork/Galway/Mullingar/Waterford/Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

daymobrew wrote: »
    http://www.runireland.com/forms/join-spar-ray-5k

Waterford - Monday 4th April
    Cork – Tuesday 5th of April
    Galway – Wednesday 6th of April
    Mullingar – Thursday 7th of April
    Dublin – Friday 8th of April

5 euro entry fee. You get a technical t-shirt and goodie bag.

Maybe a nice warm-up for the Great Ireland Run on Sunday 10th April.

I thought this arsehole was supposed to be emigrating ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Obviously they dont want a big number with it been on a friday at 1pm!!!

Would of like to of done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I already have that day off... hmmm...
    Any more details anywhere? Where it'll be on? What level or organisation has been put into it? Probably worth a fiver just for the tshirt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought this arsehole was supposed to be emigrating ? :D

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. But then again we have a while before Enda officially takes office so Darcy is probably packing at the moment.

Signed up for the crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well they mustn't want a big crowd alright if they don't have a venue for anywhere and the webpage tells you there's an error. :pac:

Twould be a far better idea to have it at 7/7.30pm on a summer's evening in Phoenix or Marlay Parks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Mite do the Waterford leg of this for the craic, 1.00pm on a Monday the timing is shocking though for people working and that, ah the joys of being unemployed!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just cancelled my day off for Friday the 8th. 1pm is a silly time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Mite do the Waterford leg of this for the craic, 1.00pm on a Monday the timing is shocking though for people working and that, ah the joys of being unemployed!!

I think its called lunch time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

shels4ever wrote: »
    I think its called lunch time :)

touché! that withstanding it is still being staged at a very inconvenient time and the attendance will take a big hit because of it, like chinguetti said they should be staged in a month or twos time when the evenings are longer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Shame it's not on a weekend day, although it might be a nice warm-up for the 10K on the Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Havana Hope

Obviously been run to suit the schedule of the show wihich will be broadcast from each of the venues prior to the race which will probably ensure that there is quite a decent showing for each run.

Very little information on runireland, it says that routes and maps will be ready in the coming weeks but only 4 and a half weeks to first run. Theses should have been ready prior to the launch.

Great value at Euro5 per race and probably gets loads of beginners which is a good thing also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

i've also registered for it, my first running event in 8 years. can't wait!

still very little online about it , anyone found any more info?

There's a facebook group set up for the series of runs, and they have a rough route for Waterford, but no more info on the other runs

do you have a link to the facebook page?

i also emailed the adress given on runireland website, with no reply.
    seems to be poorly organised....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

I might do this. Could work from home that day, and run it during lunch.

Very noob runner, tend to just jog 3-5km every now and then. With an actual run to target, might get me off my arse more often for next month :D

i'm in the exact same position beglee...
    without and end goal , i have no motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

derv wrote: »
    i'm in the exact same position beglee...
    without and end goal , i have no motivation.
    a lot of my friends are running a half marathon in early July. they have repeatedly asked me if i am gonna run it (ill probably head down for the weekend anyway for a few pints :D ), but i really cant imagine doing 20km or so, or training for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

beglee wrote: »
    a lot of my friends are running a half marathon in early July. they have repeatedly asked me if i am gonna run it (ill probably head down for the weekend anyway for a few pints :D ), but i really cant imagine doing 20km or so, or training for it
    If you change your "every now and then" to a regular thing then you have plenty of time to build up to 20km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Signed up for Galway, Hopefully it will get me motivated again in my effort to get to the half marathon mark in May.

here is the link for the todayfm site
    http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/JoinRayFor5K.aspx

it has a training programme & podcasts (first is with Eamon Coughlan)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Obviously been run to suit the schedule of the show wihich will be broadcast from each of the venues prior to the race which will probably ensure that there is quite a decent showing for each run.

Very little information on runireland, it says that routes and maps will be ready in the coming weeks but only 4 and a half weeks to first run. Theses should have been ready prior to the launch.

Great value at Euro5 per race and probably gets loads of beginners which is a good thing also.

they're trying to get people to tune into the radio show to find out about things I guess.....level 1 marketing mind control technique..

I don't think they know the routes yet - on the Facebook page someone was talking about driving a potential route in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

As was said earlier I'm sure the time is set to suit the show and the routes seem to be city center routes done by local clubs to try get as many out of work on lunch to do it...

there are routes for some of the routes on the shows webpage

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/JoinRayFor5K.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Want to do this race in Dublin but it is very dependent on where it is being run and with it being just 15 days away there is still no route up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Pure speculation on my part but if the Dublin run is organised by Crusaders it could start and finish at Irishtown stadium as that's where they are based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Phoenix Park I thought? A mass participation 5k in Irishtown Stadium? Compu'er says NO

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I will be doing the Galway 5k. The route is very nice along the Prom in Salthill, flat course too :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Orobhsa wrote: »
    Pure speculation on my part but if the Dublin run is organised by Crusaders it could start and finish at Irishtown stadium as that's where they are based.

Good thinking Orobhsa - My pint is bet on Ringsend for the Dublin leg ;)!

• Advertisement

The route actually starts outside Irishtown stadium, takes in some of Irishtown / Ringsend and finishes with a coupe of laps on the stadium track. I think you get a tech t-shirt for your troubles too.

I'll try to get down if the broken collarbone will let me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I signed up for the dublin one. Grand way to spend my lunch break.

Bit of a pain in the ass for me to get to but it could have been worse! Going to have to get a bus (or maybe blag a lift of a work colleague:D) and take an extra long lunch!

Does anyone know what the route is like (Dublin), very flat? some track laps should be fairly handy at the end.

Yeah it'll be flat, a bridge or two will be the extent of any 'climbs'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

A bit of a silly idea to hold a race at that time...I presume the race is designed for runners living and working around the race area..Why cant it be run at at 07:30 in the evening like the Docklands race?

I would like to do it but I would have to take a day off work..

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

Looking forward to this now, running in the Dublin leg. Wondering what the standard is going to be like. Are many on here expecting to go sub-20 minutes, or lower?

Looking at going under 19 mins, not a snowballs chance of the top few spots but might get a higher than normal placing if the field is mostly fun runners etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

5euro is very cheap for that, I'm lucky enough to have my own working hours so will prob drop down to do it.

I know the online registration is closed but I was told that I could register before the race tomorrow.

Is there a cut off time for registering or can I come up half an hour before the race and sign up???? Really want to do this but don't want to have to turn up at 9-10am to register, I know I should have registered before now but didn't think they'd close it a week before!

leggit wrote: »
    I know the online registration is closed but I was told that I could register before the race tomorrow.

No, you can't. They had registration open on the day in the other races because there were places available, but Dublin reached its limit last week. There is some talk about organising another race in Dublin, but no details yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ugh, dammit, I was all set to go and do this tomorrow, but didn't know you couldnt register on the day!

Great craic. Registered 4 mins before the off - managed a 19:50 after not having run since Barcelona 4 weeks ago. Also the small matter of a broken clavicle to deal with.
    Ran with Sonia O'Sullivan for the last 800 or so, she out kicked me on the track. Should have known she was keeping something in the tank!

• Advertisement

It was a nice day all right, and the t-shirt is good quality
    christeb wrote: »
    Ran with Sonia O'Sullivan for the last 800 or so, she out kicked me on the track. Should have known she was keeping something in the tank!

She started the race running beside Mairead (?) one of the co-presenters. I jogged up behind thinking "this is great, not too fast a pace and I'm runing with Sonia O'Sullivan!" Then about half a mile in the presenter had to slow down and Sonia just disappeared into the distance...

Well done to Crusaders AC - the number collection, bag drops, and stewards around the course were all very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

great race in Irishtown, well organised and the weather helped.

Shame Ray and Jenny couldn't attend sorry to hear the news.

Is there photos up anywhere?

Advertisement