Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15kw Hydroelectric Generator

Options
  • 03-03-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I am currently involved in recommissioning a (15kw) micro hydroelectric generator and I am just starting to investigate what is the most viable option.

This consists of an existing pipe that diverts water from a river down a hill to existing house. The bones of the structure are in place as this has existed for years and is not in use at the moment.

The calculations have not been made yet but we're assuming that we're going to be getting on avaerage at least 3 kw all the time. It is just what to do with the generated electricty now.

Dose anyone know what kind of money is involved in potentially setting up inverters and battery banks or know a company that would assist with getting it set up. I'm starting to get the impression that it is more feasable to just sell it to the grid.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The Sponge wrote: »
    I am currently involved in recommissioning a (15kw) micro hydroelectric generator and I am just starting to investigate what is the most viable option.

This consists of an existing pipe that diverts water from a river down a hill to existing house. The bones of the structure are in place as this has existed for years and is not in use at the moment.

The calculations have not been made yet but we're assuming that we're going to be getting on avaerage at least 3 kw all the time. It is just what to do with the generated electricty now.

Dose anyone know what kind of money is involved in potentially setting up inverters and battery banks or know a company that would assist with getting it set up. I'm starting to get the impression that it is more feasable to just sell it to the grid.

Any suggestions are appreciated

For that size of generator a grid connection through a grid tie invertor would be the best option i would of thought anyway.

Will it not be used toward the electricity usage of the house rather than selling to the grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭greenasgrass

I think these guys would be a very good start. Not affiliated btw.

http://www.coolpowerproducts.com/ie/index.html

15kW is a good chunk of power for a house. But these guys can set up a diverter arrangement that powers all the house load and exports/dumps the excess. Might be a good bet. The diverted power can be used to heat water so that you have hot water most of the time too (even when you don't need it). Great to have a generator on your property like that. Will save you a fortune if you invest a few grand in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Sponge

That is what I'm thinking, I'm looking at maybe a 35kw battery. But i remember working on a job that required a 35kw battery for the the emergency lighting and I was told it was worth around €20000.

This would not be viable when you do the maths as it would take years to actually benefit from being self sufficient.

A battery system would be more typical of a solar array (i.e. sun shines during the day but you need the leccy in the evening/night). I think a battery would be best avoided here unless you are completely off the grid.

Guide for connecting to the ESB here

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/generator-connections/micro_gen_connections.jsp

Up to 11kW for a 3 phase connection. After that it can be a bit more complicated and expensive.

I think these guys would be a very good start. Not affiliated btw.

http://www.coolpowerproducts.com/ie/index.html

15kW is a good chunk of power for a house. But these guys can set up a diverter arrangement that powers all the house load and exports/dumps the excess. Might be a good bet. The diverted power can be used to heat water so that you have hot water most of the time too (even when you don't need it). Great to have a generator on your property like that. Will save you a fortune if you invest a few grand in it.

Well it will be 15kw max output, but even putting out 3 or 4kw all the time will probably be more than enough for a standard house alright. Even dumping to water there will still be surplus. If the esb etc were paying for surplus in this setup, the grid tie would be ideal.

• Advertisement

Agree with robbie,

ESB connection is the best. You probably have a single phase connection to the house so you'd be limited to approx 6kW export (11kW applied to three phase). I imagine those guys at coolpower (or some other croed) could set you up with a system that diverted power three ways.

1. To your house load
    2. To the grid but limited to 6kW peak
    3. Anything over the two above is dumped to a resistor bank.

You'd be suprised how quickly you could pay back a small investment with that set up.

Sounds like a perfect home generating setup alright with great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Sponge

Only getting all your replies now. Thanks all for the help!

This is not my house, it is my colleague's brother based up in Kippure, Wicklow and we are just putting together a case study for now to see if it really is viable.

I personally don't believe that we will be getting 15KW out it. However I agree that even 2kw is more than enough if it is constant. There was originally a 15kw generator there and a back up generator. By the looks of things the house didn't have electricity about 50 years ago hence why all this was set up.

I do think that it is absurd that it is not in use right now, where there is potential for micro hydro it should be widely encouraged.

I'll keep you all informed anyway as to how we get on and thanks again for the links.

;)

Advertisement