Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Room Roof Problems

• 03-03-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

My sun room was erected approx. 7 years ago and started leaking in the aftermath of the extreme wintry weather condition in 2009. The diagnosis was that the lead valley split so this was replaced with a copper valley which, after a few adjustments, seemed to solvethe problem.

Unfortunately the leak has re-emerged again in the aftermath of the very wintry conditions in December but was not triggered until the heavy rain in early February. I am now told that the likely cause of this ingress of water is the concrete capping not being wide enough to cover block work underneath. The feeling is that a torch on membrane should solve this with the addition of a sealent on the partly plastered external wall.

Has anybody had a similar problem and if so would the above seem a likely solution??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

My sun room was erected approx. 7 years ago and started leaking in the aftermath of the extreme wintry weather condition in 2009. The diagnosis was that the lead valley split so this was replaced with a copper valley which, after a few adjustments, seemed to solvethe problem.

Unfortunately the leak has re-emerged again in the aftermath of the very wintry conditions in December but was not triggered until the heavy rain in early February. I am now told that the likely cause of this ingress of water is the concrete capping not being wide enough to cover block work underneath. The feeling is that a torch on membrane should solve this with the addition of a sealent on the partly plastered external wall.

Has anybody had a similar problem and if so would the above seem a likely solution??

From what you describe as being the previous issues you would really need to put some photo's up. I would be concerned with valleys splitting and capping not being wide enough which really should never happen unless the work was not done properly. This then leads to other questions about what has not been done properly which could be the root cause of your leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,385 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the leak is where the new sunroom meets the original building wall, I would be pretty sure of what the problem is but photos of the overall building would be helpful.

Advertisement