Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TB

• 03-03-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I sold a dry cow a month ago in the mart. I had a call from the DVO this morning to say that the cow was slaughtered yesterday and that they found lesions in her so they have to send samples to be tested for TB and they will have the results within 7 days. The guy was gone off the phone before I could ask any questions. The only thing that he said was that I may have to have a full herd test which will be paid for by the department (I'm due one soon anyway).

But where do I stand from her. The cow was tb and blood tested a week before I sold her by my vet and there was no issue.

Where do I stand with the person who bought her?? Can they claim from me if they received a lower price in the factory because of the lesions??

What about other cattle that I sold from the herd - I sold 16 weinlings last week - several of my heifers were bought for breeding at the mart by people that i know. Will these people have to have herd tests? I also sold a pedigree bull for breeding. Will they inform all of these farmers about my cow???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

reilig wrote: »
    I sold a dry cow a month ago in the mart. I had a call from the DVO this morning to say that the cow was slaughtered yesterday and that they found lesions in her so they have to send samples to be tested for TB and they will have the results within 7 days. The guy was gone off the phone before I could ask any questions. The only thing that he said was that I may have to have a full herd test which will be paid for by the department (I'm due one soon anyway).

But where do I stand from her. The cow was tb and blood tested a week before I sold her by my vet and there was no issue.

Where do I stand with the person who bought her?? Can they claim from me if they received a lower price in the factory because of the lesions??

What about other cattle that I sold from the herd - I sold 16 weinlings last week - several of my heifers were bought for breeding at the mart by people that i know. Will these people have to have herd tests? I also sold a pedigree bull for breeding. Will they inform all of these farmers about my cow???
    no one has any come back, and you can keep selling up to the date of the tb test.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I know this is a tough time for you, hold out till you get the lesion results, you will probably have to do a tb test as well, the lesions would suggest she had the tb for a while, I know you probably don't want to hear this, but sometimes chronic tb cases won't react to the test.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

blue5000 wrote: »
    I know this is a tough time for you, hold out till you get the lesion results, you will probably have to do a tb test as well, the lesions would suggest she had the tb for a while, I know you probably don't want to hear this, but sometimes chronic tb cases won't react to the test.

I'm lucky because I have nothing to sell until next october, so its not too bad. Just checking through my herd profile, this cow's mother was put into the factory in 2004 by me and they found lesions in her too but after the tests it didn't show to be TB. I have a big x marked beside her in the herd book. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

In my early days farming, I bought a smashing year and a half simmental heifer, for the bull. Test on this animal, was read the week before I bought it.
    Took it home from the mart, to find I had a card announcing my full herd test the following week. No problem, EXCEPT, the heifer I bought went down:mad: Sent to factory ............. lesions, FFS, and her tested only a week before I bought it. Naturally my herd was locked up.
    I went to the dept, to complain and make my case. Might as well have been talking to the wall. Was told, TB can manifest and show itself in an animal as lesions in a matter of days. Bullsh1t, if you ask me.
    I reckon the TB test, is just not a reliable indicator of what has and what does not have TB. What other reason is there, for TB, to still exist in the national herd after 40 years or more of testing:confused::confused: It's an industry for paper pushers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dont worry , had a similar one last year and she came back fine after the tests

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Never a dull moment in farming, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 krazyfarmer

Had a 2 year old heifer showed lesions in December took exactly 8 weeks to get results back. She was clear.

Had a 2 year old heifer showed lesions in December took exactly 8 weeks to get results back. She was clear.

Thanks guys, that's reassuring. Did the dep make you have a herd test anyway or did they just wait until the animal came back clear??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 krazyfarmer

Had to wait for results then test. Test is due soon anyway.
    Mine was killed in the north maybe it is faster here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jed_Bartlet

To be honest, I'm amazed that they didn't issue a restriction on your herd pending the results. That's what they normally would do for an animal that left the herd less than 45 days before turning up with a suspect TB lesion in the factory or as a reactor in a test.

7 days might be a bit optimistic - it can take up to 60 days (8 weeks) for the glands that the factory will have collected to be cultured in the lab to see if they can grow a viable strain of TB. If it comes back quickly, it usually means that they were able to determine that it definately wasn't TB or that it definately was.

Regarding your question about the guy who bought the animal from you claiming some sort of compensation, to the best of my knowledge, he can't. The factory won't be treating this animal as a salvaged one (ie. a TB reactor animal) so he should be getting full market value for it.

The other people to whom you've sold animals probably won't be subjected to a full herd level test, they'll likely be required to just test the animals they bought that came from your herd in a Forward Trace Special Check Test - the Dept. will pay for these test though so no chance of anyone coming back after you for compensation either.

Just one last thing, the Dept. don't always pay for the test even if they're the ones asking you to do it. If your herd is restricted (for disease purposes only - your Officially TB-Free status having been deemed withdrawn) and will be staying that way even after you test, then the Dept. will pay for the test. If you've paid for a herd test within the last 10 months (they'll calculate it to the day), then the Dept. will again pay). But if you haven't paid for a test in over 10 months and if your herd will be going clear (if it isn't already) then they won't be picking up the bill for the test.

• Advertisement

Got a registered letter from them today which says that I cannot buy or sell anything. It also says that the test can take up to 10 weeks. Thankfully I have all sold that I need to sell. I really hope it comes up clear. If it is a positive test, I will have to have 2 clear tests - the first of which will be paid for by the DEP.

the sooner the results come back the better , my results where back in around 10 days and it was fine , they sent out a restriction notice etc but never took the cards, is there tb in your area?

whelan1 wrote: »
    the sooner the results come back the better , my results where back in around 10 days and it was fine , they sent out a restriction notice etc but never took the cards, is there tb in your area?

The last TB in the area was at least 10 years ago

The letter that I received talked about the glands being cultured in a lab to grow tb and said that in most cases they can determine quite quickly if it is positive for tb but it can take up to 10 weeks if it is not. :confused:

There's no mention of them taking the cards.

My pedigree bull was moved last friday and I sent the paperwork in last tuesday. He's still on my online herd register. I hope there is no problem with the transfer.

The letter that i received restricts my herd from yesterday (march 3rd).

The quad might have to go back :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we always sell the store cattle in the mart or ex yard before we send any animals to the factory,

have been restricted a few times over the years like OP but I think only one case showed actual TB ,

snowman707 wrote: »
    we always sell the store cattle in the mart or ex yard before we send any animals to the factory,

have been restricted a few times over the years like OP but I think only one case showed actual TB ,

Fingers Crossed Snowman.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Talked to a department vet about TB, he said there are some farmers who have been restricted upto 4 years, he knows of one who is 4 years and another for around 2 years.

They would want to be beef finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 singlefarmer

Hi all,

Just had a reactor for the first time in about ten years i'd say.

Can someone tell me how many clear tests do I need to do to be open again and how long does does it take?

Hi all,

Can someone tell me how many clear tests do I need to do to be open again and how long does does it take?
    normally 2 clear tests , it depends how the animal kills out , if she has lesions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hi all,

had my first one ever last year, had to do a test 60 days after animal removed from farm, they left her with me over 2 weeks after test, they tell you you might get your cards back if she kills out clean and you clear this test, dont really believe that, in all likely hood you will have a 2nd test after another 60 days, if you clear both you get your cards, then after 6mths you will get retested again, i did anyway and they tell me i will also get another test this calender year..some pain in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 singlefarmer

Thnks Whelan1 and vanderbadger, pain in the ass is right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Thnks Whelan1 and vanderbadger, pain in the ass is right

i also had a pr1ck out from the department, would barely speak to me, wouldnt come into house, told me bring herd register out to him in his car, he spent half hr going thru it looking for mistakes and checking the animal medicine section, horrible experience, you feel like a criminal.. at the end of he tells you your herd is restricted as if you didnt know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jed_Bartlet

Hi all,

Whelan1 is right, it depends on how the animal kills out but the area you're in can also be a factor. If there's no recent history of TB in the area and if you herd hasn't had a Reactor or suspect lesion in the last 3 years then the Dept. will probably classify this animal as a 'Singleton' reactor. It'll be slaughtered the usual way but they'll take the glands and culture them in a lab to determine if the animal actually had TB.

If it did, you're looking at 2 clear tests before you go free and probably two 6-month check tests after that. If it didn't have TB, then all you'll have is the 1 Reactor Retest and the herd will be de-restricted at that point and you'll be back into the yearly testing programme.

Just be sure to send back the V8 form (either accepting or rejecting the valuation of the animal) along with the ER26X form (agreeing to the conditions of the Reactor Grant Compensation Scheme) to the DVO as soon as the valuation is done. The faster they have those, the sooner the animal is gone.

Great news folks. DVO rang today to say that my cow came back clear. Herd derestricted from today.

Happy Days !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

just went down today:(, 3 reactors misery- too much stock at the moment, had 15 calves sold for sunday- have to backtrack on that. Anyone know how much quota i will get for this year because of this???

kevthegaff wrote: »
    just went down today:(, 3 reactors misery- too much stock at the moment, had 15 calves sold for sunday- have to backtrack on that. Anyone know how much quota i will get for this year because of this???

How much quota?

The department will give nothing.

You have my sympathy, I hope your next two tests are clear.

Min wrote: »
    How much quota?

The department will give nothing.

You have my sympathy, I hope your next two tests are clear.
    thats a bit harsh , there are allowances if you are restricted with tb if you are over quota

whelan1 wrote: »
    thats a bit harsh , there are allowances if you are restricted with tb if you are over quota

Didn't know, my experience was cows going down so I had too much quota as I wasn't allowed to buy in.
    Got an allowance for the nitrates directive though but still had to be inspected :rolleyes:

I just know I lost a lot of money with TB, a woman from the department then came out in sandals to say a heifer was a cow - she was a heifer but when the department rule on something there is no point saying they are wrong, and she cost me hundreds, if it was again I would have objected to the price of the cow as she made just 6 euro more in the factory, while for proper cows they were paying just a fraction of the price at the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

had the herd test on tueday got the all clear today.

Advertisement