Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Pay Power

Options
  • 03-03-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Just wondering if this new initiative counts as a 'new supplier' i.e. a rival to ESB, Bord Gáis, Airtricity etc:

PrePayPower.ie

Sounds like a good idea. Wouldn't go for it myself but can see A LOT of people being interested in it, particularly landlords, assuming it gets the right backing and publicity. I think it's only been launched literally in the last week. Has anyone else come by it, or know more about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Not a bad solution - they get 30c per day or about €110 per year to provide the service / keypad.

They give guarantees not to cut off when their office is closed or when topping up may be difficult.

Everything else seems to be at normal ESB tarriffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not get a pre paid meter from ESb and not pay the management costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ESB only give those to persons in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

I'm not gone on the idea on popping down to the shops to buy electricity, and paying an extra 30c a day. It will suit a lot of people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Got a leaflet in the door about this this.
    Has anybody here got it? Any reviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

91011 wrote: »
    Not a bad solution - they get 30c per day or about €110 per year to provide the service / keypad.

A bad solution.
    It costs 37.5c per day, or 137 euro a year.
    That would be about 23 euro extra on a normal 2 monthly bill.
    91011 wrote: »
    Everything else seems to be at normal ESB tarriffs.

its possible to save up to 10% off the standard tariff by switching or choosing a more suitable plan, so that is another bad point about this prepay service.
    for example http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-prices . thats 100 per year saved compared to this prepay, or 2 euro a week

so 137 extra to the prepay power company and 100 wasted by being on the wrong plan = 237 per year extra

i suppose this service is mainly aimed at people who are struggling with their bills so i dont see how how taking another fiver a week from them helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pawnacide

just one more middleman to pay. The only Landlords who would want this dont have very high expectations about the tenants they're gonna get. The only householders who would want it are the ones who cant afford the extra charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement