Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi, are you doing anything?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Got a call from my big sis at the weekend one of those

"Hi, are you doing anything?"

which really means any or all of the following;

I've broken something or I can't get something to work or I've got something stuck or I have a dirty job that I won't touch, etc, etc,

Anyway as it turned out no big deal I arrived over to find a very red faced and out of breath middle aged young woman talking to or rather shouting abuse at the lawnmower.

She had been pulling the starter cord for about half an hour before I got the call and not a dicky bird out of it. she put the kettle on and I had a look see.. ah spark plug cap back on fill with fresh petrol and started first go. She came running out and I thought she was going to attack it foam and spits coming out of her mouth and just as well the nearest neighbour is a few hundred yards away.

Why am I writing this well apart from the fact that when she sees this post she will go mental and I'm already laughing typing it :). They have two mowers a ride on and the push for around the front beds and trees, etc. Over coffee I learned that neither one had been serviced since they got them which was 2006 as I was roped into picking them up after I got a "Hi, are you doing anything?" phone call.

I rang the hubby as my sis wasn't sure and thought he had maybe serviced them at some time. He confirmed that they had never done anymore than put petrol in them "Do you need to service a lawnmower?" not the first time this was said to me over the weekend and yes you do.

I serviced both that afternoon oil change, new air filters and plugs (even though they didn't really need plugs they got em). Grease everything that needs grease and oil likewise.

Prior to putting your lawnmower to sleep for the winter you should give it a thorough clean with a power hose if you have one, otherwise a hose will do fine. Let it dry grease and oil all moving parts. check and replace any belts that are badly worn or frayed. What I do then is remove all but an egg cup of petrol and run the mower until this empties. Then remove plug cap (so it wont kick/start if you turn the blade) do an oil change and give it a new filter. Check the plug but they usually last years and a clean with a wire brush is sufficient. Finally spray with anti moisture all over the body and deck (not belts) to keep rust worm at bay.

Next season fill with fresh petrol (fresh petrol is important as old petrol can go stale/lose some of it's octane value making it hard to start or not start at all in some cases). Make sure the plug cap is on lol and she'll start no problem. Ride ons check tyre pressure and off you go.

P.S. If you see a woman going around today who can't seem to lift her right arm above her belly button that'll be my sis shake her hand and introduce yourself :D:D I'm dead :D

Advertisement