Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amps? PA's? The difference?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We have just got together as a band and are lacking a bit with equipment.
    We are short of amplifiers.
    We were looking at a PA system that we could plug an electrical guitar, bass and microphone into.

This is what we are looking at...
    http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/660-Watt-Active-PA-System-with-Stands-and-Mics/ADI

Can the equipment included in link manage this? Or do you need an actual amplifier for the guitar and bass to go along with the PA setup.

So Instrument - Amplifier - PA System

or

Instrument - PA System

Sorry if this sounds silly but this would be the cheaper option for us and we could use it live. We are just not sure what the PA setup allows you to do.

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

seanryan10 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We have just got together as a band and are lacking a bit with equipment.
    We are short of amplifiers.
    We were looking at a PA system that we could plug an electrical guitar, bass and microphone into.

This is what we are looking at...
    http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/660-Watt-Active-PA-System-with-Stands-and-Mics/ADI

Can the equipment included in link manage this? Or do you need an actual amplifier for the guitar and bass to go along with the PA setup.

So Instrument - Amplifier - PA System

or

Instrument - PA System

Sorry if this sounds silly but this would be the cheaper option for us and we could use it live. We are just not sure what the PA setup allows you to do.

thanks in advance...

This should do it no problem however I would think that it wouldn't be of the best quality:( But it may be just what you want and plenty good(depending on what you need from the gear and size of rooms you'd expect it to fill) it's hard to know without hearing it.

I would talk to someone locally that may be able to advise you about Pa's and help you understand them.

If its a band situation with drums instrument amplifiers are a must if you plan on gigging.

If you intend to play an electric guitar through a PA and amp modler of some sort would be very benificial and for guitar/bass maybe a di box(but not a necessity)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seanryan10

Thanks for the reply...
    Initially we will be just practicing with the equipment.

So what I need to know is can we just "plug and go" so to speak? I know the sound probably won't be the best but we can look at that when more money becomes available.

Realistically we are lacking somewhere to plug a bass and vocalist into.
    We have two amplifiers for the guitars (although one is a little small).

Judging by what you said though, we can get moving to some extent with this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Thanks for the reply...

So what I need to know is can we just "plug and go" so to speak? I know the sound probably won't be the best but we can look at that when more money becomes available.

Judging by what you said though, we can get moving to some extent with this setup.

Yes you could just "plug and go", however try to educate yourelf on PA's, amplification, speakers and sound before you purchase is the best advice that I can offer:D

Brilliant, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Thanks for the reply...

I wouldn't worry about the guitar amps being underpowered, you can always point a microphone at them and run it through your PA system. A guitar amp will be able to give you overdrive/distortion effects which you wouldn't get from a PA on its own. I think a modelling box, like eagle10 mentioned, would take the place of a guitar amp if you plugged it into the PA.

• Advertisement

Cool,
    So my initial option is to put a mike on the smaller amp which will give me distortion...etc from the amp through the PA.
    I was hoping for this...

Regarding the modelling box.
    Am I right in thinking this is basically like the controls on an amplifier to mutate the sound from guitar to PA? Like a junction box to change the sound without providing amplification?

Can you possibly send me a couple of links just to give me an idea of commonly available brands...pricing...etc

Not finding it easy to find info on the web. Is "modelling box" the actual term for the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Probably the most popular is the Pod range.

From

http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_pocket_pod.htm

to

http://www.thomann.de/ie/line6_pod_hd500.htm

And plenty in between.

Personally I prefer an amp, suitably miked, but lots of guys swear by these.

Many thanks for that. The replies were really helpful. Much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Vocals can easily go straight into the PA.

If you can get a bass Line 6 POD and a guitar POD, run them straight into the PA and it won't sound half bad.

Running the bass and guitar straight in won't really work, and it'll sound atrocious.

You could also use the heaphone out on the amps by right if they have one. I'm assuming they're only cheap small practice amps?

Yeah, we have a small practice amp being used on rhythm guitar. Lacking an amp for the bass. We are sorted with a decent one for lead guitar.

This is a stop gap measure until we can afford more equipment.
    The POD devices don't seem top expensive and I like my gadgets so might get one (will do for the bassist anyway).

This was very useful. Thanks man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

a set of 1 active and 1 passive speakers/monitor's costing 500 euro 300w.
    Next step is a little mixer to use more then 1 mike.
    You can use them as floor wedges later if you get a proper pa.
    alphasounds.com
    http://alphasounds.com/solton-mf-monitors.php

Advertisement