Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] Ketones

Options
  • 03-03-2011 1:57pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I must have not been paying attention at some point, or maybe just because I've pretty much never tested for them before. But what are the range of numbers that equal "good" or "bad" for ketones?

All I could find last night in the various bits of pump training manuals when trying to figure out how I was getting on was mentions of "If ketones are high do X". No mention of what high actually related to in the scale of numbers I get from my meter.

It is an Optium meter I have that does both glucose and ketones from the drop blood, and it was only a reading of 0.1 that I got so I'm certain that was nothing to be concerned about.

What is the point at which I should be concerned though?

Comments

Well I don't know much about it myself, but a quick google seems to show that your manual probably says it. This is a manual for an Optium product, and you can see that they have a section saying "What does my result mean?"

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.com.au/downloads/120-1464_Ins_et_OpXc_Aus_N.pdf

So check your manual if you have it, if you don't have it, try to find the product you use on the site and look through it there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

robinph wrote: »
    I must have not been paying attention at some point, or maybe just because I've pretty much never tested for them before. But what are the range of numbers that equal "good" or "bad" for ketones?

Anything at 0.5mmol/L or under is in the normal range. For most it is so low it won't even register (ie 0mmol/L)
    All I could find last night in the various bits of pump training manuals when trying to figure out how I was getting on was mentions of "If ketones are high do X". No mention of what high actually related to in the scale of numbers I get from my meter.

TBH your doctor should have said but thinking back, i know the limits from reading the old urine strips when i was a kid, no recollection of a doctor ever telling me.
    It is an Optium meter I have that does both glucose and ketones from the drop blood, and it was only a reading of 0.1 that I got so I'm certain that was nothing to be concerned about.

What is the point at which I should be concerned though?

Above 0.5mmol/L is cause to notify your doctor.

I can't remember if you are T1 or T2?

Generally only a concern for T1 or late stage T2 where it acts as T1 for all intents and purposes, regardless if you have high levels (over 1.5mmol/L) get yourself to a hospital immediately, otherwise ring your clinic for advice (this is general advice, everyone is different).

Get a recap from your nurse/doc the next time your in though (people on the internet should not be trusted for information :P )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thanks for that guys.

Google had been telling me all sorts of information about what Ketones are, but nothing about the range that we might measure them by. Of course the manual for the meter ended up in the bin shortly after opening the box it came in, but I had never thought of looking at that for the numbers. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Here's a bit more info. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and it gives you the guidelines.

http://www.d1.org.au/starter-kit/ketones-scary-stuff.html

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

My 9 year old is type1
    If he has high bloods and i do keytone check and they are over 1.0 i ring the hospital.
    I had him a few weeks ago with 4.3 keytones but they can be treated at home with hourly novorapid.His bloods were good.
    If i cant control id have to bring him into hospital.
    Once you have good bloods,and high keytones it can be ok.
    But high bloods and keytones over 1.0 id worry.
    He is not on a pump.
    Now this is my hospital advice,not for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

triona1 wrote: »
    My 9 year old is type1
    If he has high bloods and i do keytone check and they are over 1.0 i ring the hospital.
    I had him a few weeks ago with 4.3 keytones but they can be treated at home with hourly novorapid.His bloods were good.
    If i cant control id have to bring him into hospital.
    Once you have good bloods,and high keytones it can be ok.
    But high bloods and keytones over 1.0 id worry.
    He is not on a pump.
    Now this is my hospital advice,not for everyone.

The risk is the development of DKA(Diabetic Ketoacidosis) where the presence of ketone bodies at a high concentration can cause the bodies pH levels to become lower ie making the body more acidic. The reason we check for ketones when our blood sugars are high is because they also act as an emergency source of energy for organs. People undergoing starvation will also suffer from it and there are several other conditions that can cause ketoacidosis. Insulin helps slow the production of ketones in that it allows the cells in your body to uptake glucose therefore the body does not need to produce as many ketones. Our pancreas can sense ketone levels and respond accordingly but obviously this does not work in type 1 diabetics.

If insulin and the subsequent lowering of blood sugar levels was not working for whatever reason then hospitalisation is required as they would most likely put you on a drip (or even a dialysis machine) to try and improve your pH levels as serious damage can be caused if left for too long.

High ketones are never OK, they can be tolerated for a short time but they are never OK.

Advertisement