Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV

Options
  • 03-03-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm sorry if this was posted before but when I was applying for my visa there was a question asking where I would like to go for an interview IF called. There was no option for Ireland, is this correct and do people just put down London or somewhere else because there is'nt much chance of being called?

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

christy c wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm sorry if this was posted before but when I was applying for my visa there was a question asking where I would like to go for an interview IF called. There was no option for Ireland, is this correct and do people just put down London or somewhere else because there is'nt much chance of being called?

Thank You

Yeah *I think* london is the nearest embassy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Has anyone here got their WHV through the government website? I just want to bypass USIT.
    Link:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

Also it says that the fee of $235 is 'generally not refunded' if the application is unsuccessful.
    How could it be deemed to be unsuccessful? Would you have to have a criminal record or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Has anyone here got their WHV through the government website? I just want to bypass USIT.
    Link:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

Also it says that the fee of $235 is 'generally not refunded' if the application is unsuccessful.
    How could it be deemed to be unsuccessful? Would you have to have a criminal record or what?

Yes, got mine through the government website. It is the best way to do it in my opinion. In regards to your second question,I am no expert but am guessing yes a criminal record or something would cause it to be unsuccessful. If you have a clean slate there should be no problem and you should have your visa in a few days :)

If I choose to apply online as instead of on paper, what's the story with the police cert? Will I have to upload a scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I applied through the website and didn't need police cert. Had my visa in a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 point7

I applied via Visa First - v cheap plus also included first 2 nights accommodation on arrival and more importantly they set up your Oz bank a/c and social security number etc so you can start applying for work straight away. It's a no brainer. Visa came within 48hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

How much did that set you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 point7

About £180 - totally worth it though - one phone call - no paperwork - didn't have to think for myself for the first 3 days in Sydney (TG jetlag was mammoth) and was all set up to go - had a job within a week, while everyone else was still trying to sort out social security / tax numbers etc. Plus the guy in ANZ who sets up your bank account is so used to WHV peeps, it's a breeze. VIsa First will send you all your paperwork to hand in. No thinking needed!

Oh and you get a Oz sim card too. And collected from the airport.

http://www.visafirst.com/en/australia_working_holiday_visa_subclass_417_info.asp

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yes, got mine through the government website. It is the best way to do it in my opinion. In regards to your second question,I am no expert but am guessing yes a criminal record or something would cause it to be unsuccessful. If you have a clean slate there should be no problem and you should have your visa in a few days :)
    Is id be looking to save every penny, im probably gonna go through the government site.
    If I do so, will I automatically be given a tax number or PPSN when granted the visa?
    this is mentioned on the visa first website: TaxSaver Pack (plus TFN set up)

The last thing I wanna be doing is having to be pricking around once I arrive trying to get a PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is id be looking to save every penny, im probably gonna go through the government site.
    If I do so, will I automatically be given a tax number or PPSN when granted the visa?
    this is mentioned on the visa first website: TaxSaver Pack (plus TFN set up)

The last thing I wanna be doing is having to be pricking around once I arrive trying to get a PPSN.

No a TFN is not automatic.
    But don't believe visa first. its not difficult to set up. It takes about as much effort to register here and post the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

You can set up your oz bank account from Ireland for free via the websites. Check the sticky for links. Just show passport at chosen branch when you get here. For example the main branch on George street in Sydney.

Tax file number again can be done online when you get here. Posted to you within a week or so.

Don't believe there agencies who say they will save you money. It can all be done yourself easily.

Sim card. $2

Advertisement